It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaving my life behind

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
So I'm leaving Colorado tomorrow. The place I have always called home.

Many factors have gone into this decision (no family here, friends all moved away, cost of living is ridiculous)

I finally got the go ahead from the state to move. (I'm on probation)

So I'm moving to Florida in less than 24 hours.

Anyway I'm just posting this to see if any other members have been through this and to see if there's a kind of road map I can follow.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Sorry for that.

Colorado is getting the Cali treatment I hear. Too bad it chased you out.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's crazy here. Cost of living has skyrocketed.

LEGAL WEED!

Not to say I'm against it. It's just everyone and their mother is moving out here

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I wish you well!

It's not easy to just leave what you know for undiscovered country. Keep your head up,and please try to stay out of trouble.

I hope to see a thread from you in a few months titled " here is how I made the best choice of my life"

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Florida is a bad place. Here is how real estate works. If a place is known to be damage by natural disasters or gang warfare. It is cheaper to live. If the place is very nice to live on, it cost way more to live.

grist.org...

You can thank Capitalism for this. If we were living like the past you wouldn't be forced to move. You could move freely anywhere.

www.buzzfeed.com...

Also, there have been Alligator and snake attacks. So you better watch out.
edit on 14-7-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

Thanks brotha.

I hope so too.. we'll see

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Thankfully I'm moving to a more redneck part of FL.

Everyone carries.

Nice try bringing politics into this.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Good luck!

It may take you some months to acclimate yourself to the weather/humidity. Do you have work lined up?
There's plenty of work there depending on the area that you are moving to.
Being 'on paper' may make things a little tricky for you and unsolicited advice, don't tell anyone who doesn't need to know.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

If you can get a job, try the Kansas City area. Kansas side is booming. Employment in Kansas is well below national average and cost of living is low. Overland Park, Lenexa and Olathe are booming. Also, Missouri is open carry. I went through a Chipotle line behind a chick packing on her hip today. Didn't even notice it until she was halfway out the door.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

As far as a road map I don't have much advice. I moved four years ago into a half finished house on top of a mountain about an hour south of the Canadian border.
It's a small town ..there were less than 30 kids last year in the graduating 8the grade class...

I moved from a town that I had lived in since I was four previously..I am forty years old..moved here at thirty six..armed with a track phone and satellite radio for entertainment...previously spent an avg of 6 hours a day on everquest(online role play game)...don't judge!

Seriously tho it was culture shock.

There is no road map...

Just be you, be honest, and be polite...you Will do just fine

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I was raised in Miami/Hollywood in the 60s and loved it. Then high school and college in Georgia...still hate it. Moved back to Florida in the Tampa/St Pete area and I love it there. Only reason I am back in Georgia is for my elderly mother; and if she didn't have her old mean 2nd husband she would go back to Florida too. Miss it and will be going back shortly. I love the diversity of people and things to do. Miss it terribly-so I am jealous. Remember-no personal taxes. I'd stay away from the Atlantic side/Miami is awful.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I would miss the altitude big time. Lived around 500ft for much of my life, then moved out west to 4500/5000 ft.

My lungs and body love it here.

Good luck, and may your beer can not sweat too much.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
FloriDUH? Good luck with that. You could always scale back to the Asheville, North Carolina area.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Being a FL native I some years ago for some of the same you are mentioning. The state has fluctuated so much since then you may have better opportunities but that may not last, pick a more stable area. Seems like you have an idea so far that works for you.

Good thing to avoid is the cities due to the issues, though, with all rural areas it works for you go for it. As it can be a challenge for some as well if unfamiliar with that. Small cities is what I prefer less cliquish attitudes the closer you are to them, easier access to amenities and still safer than bigger cities.

Have you been to the state yet? Be prepared for a blanket of humidity and bugs. Air conditioning is a must most all year long for cars and homes.
edit on 14-7-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
I'd stay away from the Atlantic side/Miami is awful.

Goes double for Daytona.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

If your beer can is sweating,your not working hard enough!

~meathead
edit on 14-7-2016 by Mike Stivic because: network dude rarely works...yet he always runs out of beer...

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Trust me I know. Lived in Miami for a few months.. hated it. mostly because of the weather. I've got a job lined up. Working on getting my real estate license in FL

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I wish haha.. I'm moving to Florida because that's where my family lives. I feel like I'm putting a burden on my family too. They have to keep their guns locked up when I'm around.

Because I was convicted on a non violent misdemeanor.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I agree rent is #ing insane.

Somethings gotta give soon.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Wot?
Florida got a weird gun law?

thought guns cant be in a home w a felon?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join