It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorist Rights in Courts?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Not saying I am inhumane, but I dont believe that if we arrest a noncitizen of the US, for terrorist crimes, that they should have legal rights like Americans.

I dont know if there is, but there should be a seperate list of rights, developed by the World Council for terrorist only. They should not be able to claim their home country or any country for that fact. They committed a crime of terrorism period and their should be some type of guideline on how they are prosecuted and a list of general punishments for those crimes. They gave up their rights when they made the decision to makes acts of terrorism, they abide by no country law, no rules of governing, the only ones they follow are the ones set forth by the group they follow.

If we continue to grant them certain rights, from certain countries, heck we are defeating ourselves on this war on terrorism.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Do you mean suspected terrorists or already convicted terrorists. If you mean suspected terrorists they could be innocent, you know. This is the issue we have today. Suspects, not actual convicted terrorists, are sitting in prison without being charged with any crimes. Its very possible the suspects in those situations were just taken off the street innocent of actually being anything other than being at the wrong place at the wrong time or having the wrong type of skin color, name, or religion.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I hope you are not a police officer sir.
I would hate if I was arrested and presumed guilty.
The point of rights are to establish rights to EVERYONE, If and until they are proven guilty.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I am tlaking about convicted ones. The suspects, well, until their is proof cant say much about that. But I am talking about ones with proof, that ties them to terrorists, groups, organizations, front companies, I dont care if it was a one time money transfer for no apparent reason.

Still even if you were just taken off the street to do one thing and you know it was wrong, but you did it cause the money or whatever favor was there in return, you comitted a crime of terrorism.

What I am asking is that the World put out a crime list to all nations, expose it via media, newspapers, magazines, circulate by whatever means that if you act or participate in any way, this is the crime, this is the punishment for such. However, if given the freedom to free yourself of a crime of terrorism by reporting, compensation will be made, as long as its credible and supported, report it to the appropriate authority. Better to report it than to find out later you were guilty of a crime and have authrorities raid your home, seize your property and assets, seize your family (cause they are suspects as well).

I think it would be a deterrence to these crimes, help shed support for those who dont want to loose it all for a mere couple of bucks or a new car or food on the table or what have you.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I hope you are not a police officer sir.

No I am not a police officer. But as far as rights established to everyone, what right do they have to kill innocent people to make a frontline on the newspaper, what right do they have to kill those who are trying to make a difference in the world, what right do they have to say who is right and who is wrong, by throwing bombs into a cafe, or detonating bombs in an office building or flying jets into a tower full of hard working people (no offense to 9/11, just stating my case). What about the rights of those people that had nothign to do with this. This isnt so much AQ or AI or taliban, but around the globe, like Hamas, Hizbullah, the genocide of Africans by rebel forces imposing. Remember the defintion of terrorism and the acts in which they are taken.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I don't really know when it happened but some years ago the lib's decided that dirt had citizenship. When "someone" set foot on US soil they magically had all the rights and privileges of an American citizen.

Now if someone is caught in another counrty trying to murder americans they get the same rights. Now "hate" and "murder" anywhere on the planet earn more rights that "dirt". An amazing thing the mind of liberals..............

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
There is no deterrence to terrorism my friend.
There is only education.
These people belive that they are above the law, national and world law, no punishment is large enough.

What makes a US citizen more of a human than "noncitizen of the US"?

American government is the largest most organized group of "Terrorists" in the world.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
If we can deter just a small faction, it could make a major impact to the scope of operations by these organizations.

But the point I am trying to make is, why isnt there a seperate ruling list, panel made up just for these crimes, held by a world council of judges, prosecutors and defense attorneys.

And yes libs and other politicla officials need to stop this BS of giving terrorists rights, they are doign nothing more than delaying the problem solving solution and giving them a chance to hit the streets again.

As far as your comment on American govt, thats your opinion and you are entitled to that, therefore I will leave no comment on that to retract on that. But I will say I believe in my govt that they are doing the best they can...sometimes our govt is damned if they do and damned if they dont.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Any terrorist arrested on foreign soil and found guilty of terrorism, should face the penalty that that country imposes on them.

To deport them , would probably mean that get away with the crime committed.

Each country has its own method of dealing with terrorism. May be the western world should adopt a more harsh approach to the sentence as would be expected in say Iraq or Iran or any of the Arab nations.
After all, you steal something in Iraq, you loose your hand.
Nuff said

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
But what about the conservative view that less government is good.
(an I assume that you are conservative from your liberal comment, and no I am not liberal or conservative, that false left/right debate is distracting from real issues.)
You want World government/council?
More bureaucracy, and courts that these people can appeal to.
The reason there is no seperate rules is that the current definition of terrorism can include anything from protesting, information gathering, and drug use.
My point about Your government is made only to say that we could arguably convict The current administration of "Using fear to effect political change." What code are you in now Yellow or Orange?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
is the above statement meant for me? or mscbkc070904?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I really dont follow into any catergory of liberal, republican or democrat, I like views from each but I dont necessarily support one party.

Well I rather they appeal to them than let our courts, which are not all that great to begin, cause criminals have more rights than the innocent.

And i think we are yellow gettign ready to slide to orange. I havent checked.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I would rather have a world concil deal with the food, air, education deficit in the world rather than terrorism.
Maybe if the money spent on the military industrial complex was spent instead on feeding, clothing, and education. Then the US would have more friends than enemies, and 911 would be just a phone number again.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
Any terrorist arrested on foreign soil and found guilty of terrorism, should face the penalty that that country imposes on them.

To deport them , would probably mean that get away with the crime committed.

Yes, I would have to agree on this point. In this country of the USA you must be proven to be guilty of a crime. It does not matter if citizen or non and I believe this is how is should go through the courts. Also, during war time addtional rules apply against a group or person to be able to face the court for what has been war crimes and punishment accordingly. Then, if convicted we face paying for this group or person to spend in prison, and/or die by lethal means.

What code are you in now Yellow or Orange?

Last time I checked was red, white, blue with red hair.

As far as your comment on American govt, thats your opinion and you are entitled to that, therefore I will leave no comment on that to retract on that. But I will say I believe in my govt that they are doing the best they can...sometimes our govt is damned if they do and damned if they dont.

I feel that way too! Problem solving has to go through levels within the government because we have to communicate what is the best action to take. Some problems can not be solved in a matter of someone's time line, like this instant!

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ancientsailor
I feel that way too! Problem solving has to go through levels within the government because we have to communicate what is the best action to take. Some problems can not be solved in a matter of someone's time line, like this instant!

I agree as well, BUT when the "Best action" is the antithisis of the very constitution, said government is espoused to uphold. Then they are not solving problems they are creating them.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Halfofone
American government is the largest most organized group of "Terrorists" in the world.

Yeah, um, OK... Put down the Molson Frenchie.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo

Originally posted by Halfofone

Yeah, um, OK... Put down the Molson Frenchie.

excuse me?? Frenchie??
hmmm I assume an eater of "freedom fries" HA HA
Go back and watch your reality television.

BTW. I don't drink.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
very simple: once a nation has established rights that are granted to every citizen, they have to be respected for a suspected terrorist in the same way. you cannot take away the rights of person A because person B says he's a terrorist. otherwise you don't need things like a constitution, civil + human rights...

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hannah
very simple: once a nation has established rights that are granted to every citizen, they have to be respected for a suspected terrorist in the same way. you cannot take away the rights of person A because person B says he's a terrorist. otherwise you don't need things like a constitution, civil + human rights...

It's that bothersome Constitution... Damn... we need to get around that...
I know how about we introduce a "Patriot act"... no two patriot acts.... people like patriots, and we can start saying that Bush is a above the law, Yeah that's how well do it.
Then Bush can deside what is and isn't constatutional.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This was tried in India. They came up with an act called TADA (Terrorist and Disruptive activities Act). It awarded stiff penalties to Terrorists and was a pretty good deal altogether. It sort of gave the Police a free hand with Terrorists and allowed for Terrorists to be tried under slightly different rules than the general Law.

The problem was that the Police misused it to some extent. Anyone could be labeled a terrorist based on some loose interpretation of the act.
What good would it do you to be released when you go to court when you've already been humiliated and possibly beaten up for 10 or more days in Custody?

Well, TADA got scrapped (after a lot of whining) and now they have a better, supposedly milder version which is called POTA (Prevention of Terrorism Act).

I believe that anything can and will be misused, but it was pretty effective while it lasted.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join