It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off duty, black cops in New York feel threat from fellow police

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod
a reply to: Boadicea

No, because the people being profiled would actually have to be perpetrators of crime...

By definition, criminal profiling means that they do not "actually have to be perpetrators of crime."

Offender profiling, also known as criminal profiling, is an investigative tool used by law enforcement agencies to identify likely suspects (descriptive offender profiling) and analyze patterns that may predict future offenses and/or victims (predictive offender profiling).

It is the exact opposite of "actually" being "perpetrators of crime." Profiling has absolutely nothing to do with evidence, probably cause, or reasonable suspicion. It is all about looking a person because he "fits" a "profile" and judging him accordingly.

... otherwise all this profiling would only amount to bothering innocent people.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!!!

Or are you suggesting that all these blacks being arrested for crimes are being falsely accused?

I don't speak or think in absolutes because one-size-doesn't-fit-all. So no, I am not suggesting that "all" Blacks are anything, much less that "all" cops are anything.

But yes, I do believe -- because there is well-documented evidence to this effect -- that many Blacks are being arrested for crimes they did not commit, and that many/most do not have the resources to defend themselves, and end up plea bargaining and/or pleading guilty because it is their best option.

I seriously doubt that.

I seriously hope you do your own due diligence and learn the truth.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

I am ignoring nothing.

You are of course welcome to have your say and make your record. Our words will stand on their own merit.

Thanks for sharing a different perspective, but I'm done with the circle jerk.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

The thing is... I don't have to deny anything in order to understand there are many pieces to the puzzle. It's not an either/or situation. It's both -- and a whole lot more.

The bad behavior of one group does not excuse the bad behavior of another group. The good behavior of the many does not excuse the bad behavior of the few. I can call it all out.

Right now, I'm calling out the bad behavior of bad cops -- and their top brass.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

right now , I'm calling out the bad behavior of my minority class giving crooked cops leverage, and reasonable doubt over their intentions.
and no, your theory of if cops profiled say Asians, another minority group, they would find the same amount of dirt... no.

my teachers never kept a close eye on the good kids in my high school. which was predominantly white. and no they didn't keep their eyes on the black or Latino tiny minority there. the bad kids happened to be mostly white (some polish). so my ta's kept an eye mostly on them based on empirical and likelihood evidence of them doing something bad.

change starts with us. accept that.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Um... confirmation bias here... I know better.

You have no idea how much I got away with in school because teachers and administrators thought I was such a sweet innocent girl... but I do.

I also had a good friend who caused all kinds of trouble, and was always the first suspect for anything, simply because of his past reputation. And a few times he took the hit for me, voluntarily, knowing I was actually the guilty party. He thought it was a hoot.

So sorry... but I can drive a Mack truck through the holes in that theory based on personal experience alone.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

You would have to be out of your goddamn mind to actually believe this crap.

So you think Asians would be the new blacks if only police started profiling them just as much as blacks? Do you actually believe that?

If police targeted Asians -- and only Asians -- then their crime stats would only reflect Asians. Yes?

If police began targeting Asians at the same rate they target Blacks, then yes, their crime stats would reflect that.

If police are targeting one or more specific demographics, then police have that much less time and opportunity and INCLINATION to give to Whites, and yes, their crime stats would reflect that.

When a crime is committed and witnesses give a description, who do you think the police should interview? Video of a crime shows the criminal. Should the police look for someone that doesn't match the image on the video? Hey, I agree the police should not target people for 'driving while black' but at least some of these statistics are based on a description of the person that committed the crime. A crime is committed in Chicago. It happens in a predominately black area. Witnesses describe the perp as 'black male'. Should the police go looking for a white guy?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Any evidence of this? To many bait articles going around these days to just believe a claim.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

How long is this going to go on? I really wish there was a time limit on this sort of thing. I'm not brushing away black slaves and that history but I think they should be shown the history of other people who were also slaves. I'd also like to point out that BLACK PEOPLE HAD BLACK SLAVES it wasn't just white people, white people have been slaves. It's historical. Yes it was horrible what happened but very few of Black people are still slaves, in fact most of the slaves of today are either children or people of countries like Poland etc. very few are black OUTSIDE places like Africa etc. I get annoyed at the way black people are treated but I also get annoyed with the way people treat gypsies and homeless etc. historically speaking we've treated each other well I'll say "mess".

Sadly this will not end for a long time. Young black people are being brought up into a world where they are taught by their own parents (and in some cases yes it might need to be) to be afraid of the police, to not trust a person who isn't black and that's what's gonna break America apart.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

A crime is committed in Chicago. It happens in a predominately black area. Witnesses describe the perp as 'black male'. Should the police go looking for a white guy?

Of course not. I never suggested anything of the kind. That's not with this is even about.

However, since you went there, it must also be said that cops should never assume that every Black man/woman is a suspect because another Black man/woman committed a crime.... much less treat them as one.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Either you don't understand my words or you're being purposefully obtuse.

When I say: "No, because the people being profiled would actually have to be perpetrators of crime..."

I mean they would have to be perpetrators of crime for the profiling to amount to anything. If what you say is true and the police started profiling Asians to the extent they profile blacks this would still amount to nothing if the Asians being profiled weren't criminals.

What you're essentially saying is blacks don't commit more crimes than other ethnicities, this is just a result of racial profiling.

This view is nothing less than delusional. Blacks do commit more crimes than other races and no one even disputes this. It is simply self evident, blacks are far more likely to join gangs, blacks are far more likely to live in crime ridden ghettos. So why wouldn't they commit more crimes? All evidence shows us this. The only thing you've got going for your assertion is a shoddy argument with as many holes in it as Swiss cheese.

Again, you are the only person I've ever come across that even denies that black people commit more crimes. No one anywhere denies this simply because it is so self evident.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

Any evidence of this? To many bait articles going around these days to just believe a claim.

For the racial targeting, yes, there is audio recording of the police chief:

NYPD captain caught on tape ‘pressuring officer to stop and question more black men because they are more likely to be criminals’

Thanks for wanting to know the facts and the truth -- at least to the extent we can know it. I appreciate that.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

A crime is committed in Chicago. It happens in a predominately black area. Witnesses describe the perp as 'black male'. Should the police go looking for a white guy?

Of course not. I never suggested anything of the kind. That's not with this is even about.

However, since you went there, it must also be said that cops should never assume that every Black man/woman is a suspect because another Black man/woman committed a crime.... much less treat them as one.

I did not say anything about assuming every black person committed a crime. I said if your description is specifically described as 'black' you don't look for a white guy. If the description says "clean shaven black guy, in a red mustang" you don't pull over the black guy with dreds, driving a pinto. Come on! I don't agree with profiling people when there is no crime involved. I do agree with interviewing someone that matches a description of the suspect. Not all blacks look alike ya know.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

No, I never said that. That was your inferrence.

Nor does it have anything to do with the subject of the OP.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

The problem with this argument is that the persecution and subjugation of black people didn't end with slavery. I am really tired of seeing this rationale as it only comes across as an attempt to diminish the horrors of the trans Atlantic slave trade, especially when the views that slavery was a world-wide practice or that "black people had black slaves," is raised. I am not singling you out and you may be a well intentioned human being, but I still find it troublesome. The slave trade of African people to the Americas was dehumanzing and redefined an entire group of people to the world... black people aren't just having to "get over" the history of slavery, but the consequences and byproducts of what came afterwards.
edit on 14-7-2016 by soulrebel11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I don't agree with profiling people when there is no crime involved.

Good. Because that's exactly what the OP is about.

These cops are saying, "Yes, we are and have been profiled when there is no crime involved." And the chief is telling the officer to profile people when there is no known crime involved.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: soulrebel11

black people aren't just having to "get over" the history of slavery, but the consequences and byproducts of what came afterwards.

Yes! The mistreatment did not stop with slavery, it continued with redlining and Jim Crow laws and on and on, all of which has long-term consequences still being felt today.

Thanks for gracing my thread -- and welcome to ATS

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

You would have to be out of your goddamn mind to actually believe this crap.

So you think Asians would be the new blacks if only police started profiling them just as much as blacks? Do you actually believe that?

If police targeted Asians -- and only Asians -- then their crime stats would only reflect Asians. Yes?

If police began targeting Asians at the same rate they target Blacks, then yes, their crime stats would reflect that.

If police are targeting one or more specific demographics, then police have that much less time and opportunity and INCLINATION to give to Whites, and yes, their crime stats would reflect that.

When a crime is committed and witnesses give a description, who do you think the police should interview? Video of a crime shows the criminal. Should the police look for someone that doesn't match the image on the video? Hey, I agree the police should not target people for 'driving while black' but at least some of these statistics are based on a description of the person that committed the crime. A crime is committed in Chicago. It happens in a predominately black area. Witnesses describe the perp as 'black male'. Should the police go looking for a white guy?

Stopping somebody because the fit the description of a person who committed a crime when that description is given by witnesses and/or video evidence is not profiling.

Stopping somebody to see if they committed a crime with no information to indicate they have is profiling.

Two completely different things.

link   
Oops
edit on 14-7-2016 by Shamrock6 because: DP

link   

as long as blacks aren't looking in the mirror nothing will change. racial profiling exists. it exists because it can exist, blacks allow it to exist or at least give reason for it to exist.
what's the homicide rate say in China town in LA vs east Compton... both similar minority per capita.

its not rocket science. if I'm playing hockey against a team, I will guard the top scores on that team a lot harder.

again go back to my previous posts, never would I deny wrong doing by police, nor do I think its all superficial.

but man, you op, have to be able to make or understand more analytically correct measures to solve this problem.
again op, pointing out a problem is not a solution.
you fail time and time again to grasp this concept.
edit on 14-7-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

black people aren't just having to "get over" the history of slavery, but the consequences and byproducts of what came afterwards.

Yes! The mistreatment did not stop with slavery, it continued with redlining and Jim Crow laws and on and on, all of which has long-term consequences still being felt today.

Thanks for gracing my thread -- and welcome to ATS

Thank you! And you're welcome, I am glad I was able to contribute in a meaningful way.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join