It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Barkley Says Black People Have ‘Got to Do Better’ Amid Racial Tensions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Sir Charles, if anybody remembers that nickname from back in the day, offers some opinion on race relations and the recent Dallas attack. time.com article

The former NBA player and current analyst for Turner Sports, who has taken provocative stances on race previously, said in a telephone interview on the Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz that while some police officers have “made some mistakes,” black people who commit crimes and “kill each other” are also part of the problem.

I really wish i could find a full transcript. If somebody does I'd much appreciate a link. The article somewhat implies he's putting more blame on the black community, but he's very clear that racism exists. I've always found him to be completely willing to cut through the BS and speak truth.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Funny how almost every "new" thread is about racism. ATS ebbs and flows with the media narrative these days. Sad.

This isn't directed at you in particular OP, just somethng I have noticed recently.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Funny how almost every "new" thread is about racism. ATS ebbs and flows with the media narrative these days. Sad.

This isn't directed at you in particular OP, just somethng I have noticed recently.

I don't post many new threads and typically I only do when I notice something that has escaped mention by our more dedicated contributers.

It may be true that there is an ebb and flow to the number of threads that address racism, but I think it's a fair topic considering how much racism is headlining in the news right now. We've had an event unrivaled since 9/11 and it is based on racism.

We need rational voices talking about solving this mess.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

So true this site has totally changed the last year or so for the worst. Its less about conspiracy and alternative news more about partisan politics.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: BoxFulder

I'd venture to say that there is a conspiracy going on involving this topic. It's called divide and conquer.

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

We need rational voices talking about solving this mess.

No, we don't. We need to ignore it, because it's fabricated as far as it's intensity and scope are concerned. Are there racists? Sure there are, and there always have been and always will be from all walks of life. But the media has fanned the little ember trying to cause a forest fire. They did this in the 80s too, with the alleged crack epidemic. The truth is is that it was never as bad as the media said it was back then, and the media's glamorization of it's high and that lifestyle helped pour fuel on that fire. And what sprang forth from that supposed mess? Militarization of police forces and erosion of freedom. I wonder what tragedies will we be able to look back upon in 30 years from now because everybody bought into the media's BS?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

this is the stronghold msm has over us. 3 weeks ago it was an onslaught of Isis and terrorism. 3 months ago it was gays and bathrooms.

its like after the media shifts focus , then issue feels like it has been solved... strange eh.. because gays and trans are not the topic du jour anymore. its like the bathroom issue is resolved completely etc

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Modern society is full of SJWs and progressives pushing their nonsense causes, then those based in reality having to attempt to restore order.

(post by BoxFulder removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

The fact that indoctrinated people are pushing a false narrative, in my opinion, is all the more reason that we need rational voices. While it may be easy for me, as a white male, to ignore it that's not what is happening in a large part of the black community. While we ignore it the media and agitators continue to push a false narrative.

We can't ignore it when a fair percentage of the population is being driven to violence based on false narratives.

We need to disavow racism, but we need to do it in a way that does not excuse those who personify racial stereotypes. Rational voices.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Modern society is full of both sides of the argument, that's why their is so much tension in our country right now, neither side is willing to compromise and neither side is willing to see the bull# that is being fed to them day in and day out.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Blah blah blah snowflakes. Blah blah blah SJWs. Blah. And blah.

Racism exists. That's a fact, jack. The problem isn't racism, it's peoples' reactions to it, on the extreme fringes. Most people who are confronted with it just control what they can...their own reactions...maybe keeping a lot pent up inside about...and move on with their lives as best they can.

But adding fuel to the fire of those who do feel compelled to speak out by vilifying them and laughing at them and rushing to prove just the opposite as if it's some kind of game? Not useful. Why not just listen and learn or support instead? Or just keep it to yourself instead of feeding the fire? What's worse for everyone?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BoxFulder
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Possibly and it's working now that this site is turning into stormfront

The issue with this statement is that openly stating things regardless of facts in many topics will now label you a "racist" or "neo nazi".. There is a big difference in people going out of their way to just be down right stupid with their comments and obvious hate verses someone that is stating something that is fact but possibly not accepted in the current climate of liberal thought.

RA

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I believe this is about the fifth thread now where an African American man declares an issue with Fellow African Americans and or BLM on top of the other racial threads some reflecting the worst in otherwise level headed members apparently-with giving the benefit of a doubt. Though, with worry for the current GOP/conservative leaning narrative becoming racist because they feel they are being attacked on various fronts and that it is somehow a solution as I had seen some declare that is why they are turning to racial ideals.

OP, much thanks, seems to be fair on discussing the subject at least compared to leaning on racist rah rahs in other threads.

edit on 13-7-2016 by dreamingawake because: ed*

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I believe the media push and rampant cries of racism are actually driving the less rational whites toward this racist belief.

I've always believed it has little to do with skin color and a great deal to do with the culture one is raised in. White people raised in a criminal culture that excuses criminality become criminals. The same goes for any race. If you are brought up in an environment that excuses criminal behavior you will be more inclined to criminal behavior.

I grew up next to mostly white poverty. My neighborhood was very low income. The culture there was one that excuses criminal behavior and accepted it as normal. Not surprisingly most of the people I grew up with are dead, in jail, or lifetime scumbags.

I think growing up in Maine, which had very few minorities, made me believe that the mentality was the issue. To me race never entered to equation. I saw the same disparity others see in racially diverse cities happening when you looked at those who grew up dirt poor. The mentality wasn't any different.

While there is definitely racial bias it doesn't solve anything to ignore the reality of poverty culture. We need to break that chain and address racial bias independent of discrimination based on poverty culture which exists in all racial groups.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Could you be anymore dismissive with your "blah blah blah snowflakes" comment? The OP is doing something that most on here don't want to do! Focus more on the solution to a problem than just constantly beating the problem "with a dead horse".

We know there is a problem but that problem does not just run one way. I saw several people following BLM in Dallas dancing and celebrating, laughing taunting police officers after their friends i.e. families had just been mowed down!

But God forbid a white person agree with someone from the black community that there was huge social injustice taking place in Baton Rouge and MN......We are not allowed to agree or disagree so damned if we do damned if we don't!

Well I will be damned if I keep my mouth shut about racism running both ways!! If you think Whites are not constantly subjected to racism by some blacks, you are not living in the real world!!

The real problem is most white people were hurting for the black community!! And those same people are willing to meet in the middle and say "We are sorry" "Let us come together with you, we care" Only to be met with " YOU COULD NEVER UNDERSTAND YOUR WHITE"!!! or "YEAH get away from me" !!!!

So with being totally non PC We want to listen and we do care BUT we are not gonna take anymore abuse for it!! I didn't enslave you nor did my ancestors!! My opinion, it is the "WORST HUMAN TRAGEDY WE WILL EVER SEE AS HUMAN BEINGS"

That said does not give any member of any race permission to call us "white devils" or use the "N" word!!! They are equally as damning!!

So I get it! Black lives matter but theirs ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES!! I believe your answer was support or shut up! We would support but it is only welcome if it is on their terms and we just follow the rules!!

i truthfully believe there are some in the black community that need to come together and meet the white community at the center line, for a change not just thumb their noses and issue threats!!

Pax

edit on 7/14/2016 by paxnatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: paxnatus

Could you be anymore dismissive with your "blah blah blah snowflakes" comment?

I could have been far more than "dismissive."

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I thought the issue was seemingly state sanctioned executions of black people, not black people killing black people.
Police getting away with murder, police being excused, its not about criminals acting like criminals outside the law, its criminals operating within the law, seemingly

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   

they tried that back in the day, until you know.. rosa parks decided she was too tired and kept her seat.

besides, its his opinion. why should i give it more credulence than what jessie williams says? oh yea, he's saying what you want to hear.

good show!

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   
GANG BANGERS ARE RUINING THE USA !

I'd go will the root cause !
Deal with them and you might get the USA to turn a corner .

Pointless snipping branches when you can take down the tree!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join