It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don Lemon has a message for people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
CNN’s Don Lemon has a message for people who ‘pretend that racism doesn’t exist’

“The people who dislike this president, the words will just bounce off and hate him more, even though what he said today makes complete sense. His message was no different from George W. Bush’s message, no different than Police Chief Brown’s message,” Lemon said while commenting on Obama’s speech Tuesday on CNN’s “Situation Room.”

Lemon went on to say that “you need to check yourself and look from within” if the president’s words were not “resonating.”

“It is time to stop pretending that racism doesn’t exist, that bias doesn’t exist in this culture,” Lemon said before sharing a personal story about an experience he recently had. Discussing the Dallas police shooting with friends, Lemon said a question was asked by someone in the group that left him shocked.

As a victim of a few racist incidents (Native America/Fist Nations), I can agree with what e is saying. When I bring up what has happened to me, others act like it was just a random incident and that it may not have been even racism but was more of my own what I perceived.

Well when you get called a drunken Indian who takes government handouts, I am pretty sure that was not something I perceived but was actual racism.

Until racism is actually addressed and not ignored like some on the right want, maybe race relations can actually get somewhere. Instead of claiming we want you to feel guilty for being white, maybe understand we would like those who do not have racist/bigoted views to stand by us and show solidarity. I stand with my white friends when a native person talks crap about them and try to educate them.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: shredderofsouls

Until racism is actually addressed and not ignored like some on the right want, maybe race relations can actually get somewhere.

It's pretty much all we address as far as -isms go. I am beginning to resent that a bit, tbh.

Maybe one day, women, overweight people, the disabled, etc.. will get a teeny-tiny headline somewhere to address some of the discrimination they face. One in four women will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime...that kind of thing.

And children, too, BTW. The U.S. ranks in the bottom five in the world on how we treat our children.

But let's pretend we aren't addressing racism.

edit on 13-7-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: shredderofsouls

I think people need to stop being so damn offended all the time and focus the Bill of Rights. The police issue is not a racial matter. Its a matter of cops not respecting rights.

Why does it always have to be turned into a race issue? I've had the same problems with cops that everyone has been complaining about, and I'm not even black.
edit on 13-7-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typo

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I don't think anyone thinks that racism doesn't exist.

But the actual disagreement is over how much of it there is and what its nature is. Until we can all actually agree on some basic things about it, then we are all just arguing past ourselves. After all, if I think every ethnicity can be capable of racism but I am discussing it with a proponent of CRT, then we aren't going to be talking about the same thing when we think about racism.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
"the reds" means first nations in 1890
and russians later

point is

www.youtube.com...

Buffalo Road she knows what happens to Custer

as per LtW

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I think the entirety of the U.S. is aware of the racial tension and know that some very well be racists. So now what? I keep hearing about these groups want people to be aware, well I'm aware....now what? What is the goal here, what is being sought out?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Racism racism racism, this is the new thing the media is throwing our way. First it was Trayvon Martin, then it was police brutality, then it was gay cakes, then it was the rebel flag, then it was gay mrriage, then it was Bruce Jenner, then it was transsexual bathrooms, then it was ISIS terrorists in America, and now we have come full circle again to racism.

Jesus Christ people, stop falling for the divisive bull# the media is feeding to us every couple of weeks. It's so goddamned obvious that they are manipulating us psychologically with all these sensationalized events. Stop looking at each other and start looking at the ones who control the media and government. They're the enemy, we are not.

This crap is so draining when looking at all of it from outside the hate bubble that's probably about to burst.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

People of all races need to look at themselves and look at why people view them that way, and how those things can be changed so everyone can move forward together on an equal level.

On a personal note, since you brought up native people; I've had nothing but problems with the local population, either being taunted to fight because I'm a white guy or having a group of young native guys walk up to me & try to start problems when I'm walking home from work among a large list of other things I could say from personal experience with that specific group of people.

Will I pass on my views to my child ? Maybe subconsciously, but I will do my best to show them we should include everyone in our thoughts regardless of past experiences, especially my own past experiences.

We just can't ignore that there are real fundamental problems too. I've lived on a reservation for 5 years so I know how things go day in/day out for a lot of people, and the biggest problem is that no one from their own people gives a #.

You have a chief and his staff collecting all the money that they should be sharing, so you have people who are not getting the care they need or the housing, or the safety from gangs who recruit the young kids on reserve and take them to the city to start their career as criminals/gang members.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Both liberal and conservative media outlets have different viewer bases yet they all talk about the same exact issues only from opposing viewpoints. No wonder we have so much distrust and hate coming from both sides, the media giants are playing us from both ends of the spectrum. They do it so that we don't look at their bosses who are the ones orchestrating this psychological warfare on the people. Both teams play for the same league.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I don't know who Don Lemon is, but he can stuff his rhetoric. We are way past racism unless you consider that it is harder for white people now because of all of the affirmative action crap.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Spot on.

And exactly why more people need to start doing something they seem to have forgotten how to do. Think for themselves.

As to the general topic here. Does racism really exist? Hell yes. But, again back to your points, what the media is doing is empowering both racists and those who speak out against them, and that won't end well.

It would be better to just let it die its own, quiet, natural death, and it would, were it not for the focus, both positive and negative, that draws the darkness and the hate out into the open to keep it alive.

edit on 7/13/2016 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't think anyone thinks that racism doesn't exist.

I don't see racism as the issue.

Everyone has opportunities now and non-white, non-male people have more opportunity so if anything the system is now rigged against white males. Bigotry still exists, but the only discrimination that exists is against white people.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I'm white and have been the victim of "racism" more times than I can count.

Why does the President leave people like me out of his speeches? Why does that establishment plant, Don Lemon leave me out of his rhetoric?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Screw him. He is a mouthpiece in more ways than one.

Anybody got a blender? Life just threw us some lemons.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

I'm white and have been the victim of "racism" more times than I can count.

Why does the President leave people like me out of his speeches? Why does that establishment plant, Don Lemon leave me out of his rhetoric?

He's right. Racism is alive and well in this country. My friends and I were pissed on at gunpoint while 2 women were being raped in the bathroom... for what white people did to black people back in the slave days.

My black football coach had me play center even though I was the second fastest kid on the team. I bet the whole neighborhood got a kick out of that... seeing as how I was the only white player.

But I can tell you with absolute certainty that the most racist people in this country are black folks who have done well for themselves and achieved a little something.

My job involves walking up in people's yards and its always the one black family on the block who harasses me and calls the cops because... "If it was a black man out here doing that....."

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   
That's funny, I'm a white person who has had many racial incidents against me (a couple at the hands of native Americans), but it's not proper for me to say anything because I'm white, right? When is Obama going to start advocating for me?
edit on 14-7-2016 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

At its root, the issue is to recognize and agree on what racism is. Then we can move on to areas of discrimination.

And that says nothing about whether or not I agree with you ...

But until we can pin down what we all think racism actually is, then it doesn't matter what any of us perceive in our personal experiences because we will all deny what others are saying anyhow.

I mean honestly, from an editorial/proofreading perspective, there are very, very few true racists but lots of bigotry and plenty of instances of discrimination.
edit on 14-7-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: shredderofsouls

Until racism is actually addressed and not ignored like some on the right want, maybe race relations can actually get somewhere.

It's pretty much all we address as far as -isms go. I am beginning to resent that a bit, tbh.

Maybe one day, women, overweight people, the disabled, etc.. will get a teeny-tiny headline somewhere to address some of the discrimination they face. One in four women will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime...that kind of thing.

And children, too, BTW. The U.S. ranks in the bottom five in the world on how we treat our children.

But let's pretend we aren't addressing racism.

The neighbor that used to live below me always called me "The deaf girl". I just shrug it off. People say what they want to say. No one speaks out against that.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm white and my college invited a black speaker who picked me out of the crowd and said, "you see? I can shake his hand now, but when the time comes I will spill his blood", to which the mostly black crowd cheered. That was an eye opener.

I see open, overt racism almost daily now from the likes of Don Lemon! Our President and AG openly support an organization who's leaders have called for violence against whites and cops!

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

So true...like the old saying...say it often enough and you become attracted to it, or you manifest it. I think the PTB really want a divided USA, maybe even mass rioting, etc; all the easier to take away more freedoms.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join