It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-ray Shows Nail In Workers Head (from ATSNN)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Patrick Lawler a 23 year old construction site worker from Colorado has made the amazing discovery that he has been walking around with a nail through his head.
The nail appears to have been inserted into his skull while he was using the nail gun at work.
The nail appeared to have lodged itself in the victims brain, mere millimetres away from his right eye.
The only effects from the incident appears to be, a lightly bleeding lip, tooth ache and blurry vision.

www.sky.com
A construction worker got the shock of his life when a trip to the dentist ended with the news he had a nail lodged in his brain.

Patrick Lawler, 23, from Colorado had been suffering with toothache for six days after accidentally hitting himself in the mouth with his nail gun.

His lips bled a little bit - but that was all.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well the world is a funny place, a nail up through his mouth and into his brain and he didn't even realise.
I can't figure out how he didn't realise he had nailed himself through the head, the force and the pain would have been a give away, maybe it just happened so fast he didn't realise.

Related News Links:
www.sky.com

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Wow.... Good thing it didn't kill him or blind him or what-have-you...

He's got to be one of the luckiest people around.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I saw this on the news yesterday! How in the hell do you insert a nail into your head and not know it!?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Funnily enough i thought exactly the same thing, how the hell do you not realise. Made me wonder if he was covering up something, maybe a prank gone wrong or he upset someone.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
If given the first shot, I'd rather punchmike tyson in the mouth , than this guy

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The guns that are used have a two trigger fire, it takes the head of the gun pushed in and the trigger pulled to make it fire.

So, in the story it said he hit himself in the mouth, maybe the tripper wasnt pulled and the gun went off anyway. It would happen so fast, that if hee didnt Feel it happen he wouldnt know it happened. If he couldnt feel the head of the nail then maybe he taught he was lucky, and he was.

Believe me I also look at the picture and think how in the hell could this happen, it is just so odd.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
is it just me or does that not look like a nail that would be in a nail gun? i remember the nails for nail guns had very small heads so they could loaded easier in the kind of "clip" that loads into the gun. that nail in his head looks like one that you would hit in with a hammer.

correct me if im wrong of course!

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I saw this on the news yesterday! How in the hell do you insert a nail into your head and not know it!?

Its not as hard as you would think. When I was shot I didnt know it till the blood started pouring down my chest.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by denseuno
is it just me or does that not look like a nail that would be in a nail gun? i remember the nails for nail guns had very small heads so they could loaded easier in the kind of "clip" that loads into the gun. that nail in his head looks like one that you would hit in with a hammer.

It looks like a 16 penny nail. The nails fired out of a framing nail gun look exactly the same as the type you would use with a hammer. The nail heads are stacked. Many years ago I was a carpenter, when I was nailing up a section of wall I missed the top-plate and the nail went into my forearm. It happens fast, so fast I can understand how he didn't realize the nail was lodged in his body. I was fortunate because the nail went into my arm maybe 1.5 inches and was able to simply pull it out myself.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I have one of those, got of yahoo the otherday
one would think he would feel it going into his head

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Geezz...look at the size of that nail, that's gotta hurt and suprisinly he didn't feel a thing??

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I find it odd the guy did not feel it going thorough the roof of his mouth, I mean his head must of at lest snapped back from the impact. What about bleeding, strange.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
As I can tell, he most probably missfired the gun, cocked his head back as a reflex action, and thought the nail maybe missed him. The action of cocking his head back as a reflex action may have cancelled the force of the nail going into his head.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   

The largest object to be removed from the human skull was a 20.32 cm (8 inch) survival knife from the head of 41 year-old Michael Hill.

In April of 1998, Michael answered the door to his friend's place and had a knife plunged into his skull. He then walked down the street to another friend's house. Four hours later the knife was removed. Michael didn't even have an infection and was well enough to leave the hospital a week later

I dont know how people can survive stuff like this its amazing.
www.kidzworld.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Under severe pain and sudden shock like that, the body (or the brain, actually) tends to not feel pain due to the massive amounts of it.

My uncle got robbed by a couple of men once, and got hit in the stomach during the incident. He didn't take that much of a beating and walked home as normal, only a little tense in the stomach region. When he got home, he discovered that his sweater was full of blood and that he had a knifewound there. What he thought was a medium hard punch was actually a knifeblade @ about 6 cm (2.36") going into his stomach.

And back to the nailgun; I still think it's strange that he hasn't noticed before. He must at one time felt the nail or the hole with his tongue? Strange, but lucky for him

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Now hang on just a minute. How in Bob's name do you get a nail from a nail gun fired into the roof of your mouth?! Into your forearm or hand or foot, I can see, but into your upper palate?? As someone stated before, nail-guns have a safety feature where the firing head has to be pressed against a surface in order for the trigger to become active. The nail gun would have to be pushed inside his mouth quite deliberately, particularly seeing from the angle in which it entered - almost vertically through the upper palate.

This was no accident. The guy probably has something to cover up. Either that or he got an effective frontal lobe lobotomy when it happened and thus didn't/doesn't feel anything nor remember anything.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Now hang on just a minute. How in Bob's name do you get a nail from a nail gun fired into the roof of your mouth?! Into your forearm or hand or foot, I can see, but into your upper palate?? As someone stated before, nail-guns have a safety feature where the firing head has to be pressed against a surface in order for the trigger to become active. The nail gun would have to be pushed inside his mouth quite deliberately, particularly seeing from the angle in which it entered - almost vertically through the upper palate.

This was no accident. The guy probably has something to cover up. Either that or he got an effective frontal lobe lobotomy when it happened and thus didn't/doesn't feel anything nor remember anything.

Not necessarily, some nail guns can be over ridden to create a "bump trigger" so that a nail is fire by bumping the the foot againt the work surface. Very dangerous in the wrong hands.

Also, the article states the nail went through his lip first so the gun apparently was not in his mouth. Could have been a "riccochet" wher he missed what he was nailing into and it bounced back at him or a curl back
where the nail hits something in the wood and comes back out the surface of what he was nailing into. He could have been in an awkward position while trying to use the nail gun and missed his target and hit himself.

You may say it was no accident, but unless you have a little experience with nail guns you don't realize how dangerous they can be and what they are capable of. I would have to say this was one of those rare and freakish accidents.

more on bump triggers-

www.newwoodworker.com...

Trigger
The PC DA250B comes with a sequential trigger. That means it fires one nail each time the safety foot is pressed against the wood and the trigger is pulled. To fire another nail the gun is lifted, repositioned, the safety foot depressed and the trigger pulled again.
A "bump fire" trigger conversion is available from Porter Cable free of charge for those who need it. This allows holding the trigger down and bumping the safety foot on the wood to fire nails in rapid succession. As long as the trigger is held down, a nail fires each time the safety foot is "bumped" on the wood.
While the "bump fire" mode can be useful to a skilled professional, it has little use for woodworkers or for working around the home. Without a specific need and the experience to use it properly, the "bump fire" kit is best left at Porter Cable.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I see where you're coming from with the trigger aspect. But if it went though his lip first, it would have to be coming in at a different angle to the one presented in the X-ray (unless they mean under the chin, which is very doubtful because then in it would leave a bleeding hole in his lower jaw and his tongue).

If it went though his lip first and then "turned/pendulumed" as it went in to end up in the position it's in, then it would have to move sideways and would take out chunks of flesh with it. A 1/2-inch wide, 2-inch long channel through your palate would be a lot harder to miss, than a mere nail straight into your head...what did I just say?

Also in a ricochet situation , you would expect the nail to be bent to a certain degree, but it's as straight as a...uhhh...nail.

Somehow I feel we're missing a piece of the story. Freak accidents happen, sure, but his explanation seems to defy the laws of physics.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Without knowing more about the situation its hard to comment further.
I can give you a few perhaps and maybes though.

Perhaps his mouth was open and it was his bottom lip it hit first.
In my experience nails travelling through dense objects tend to take the path of least resistance , so once the nail started to penetrate the roof of the mouth it could have followed the path to how you see it in the x ray.
As someone who has fired too many nails to count, I can see how it could possibly happen, I have seen the ways nails react when hitting things they aren't supposed to.

As for the nail being straight, its hard to tell unless you have an x ray from a different angle, perhaps the nail is bent but since it may be bent to where it doesn't show up in the angle presented.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
(sorry, just couldn't resist ). I think you have a good point though. You've convinced me.

Personally, I think this one would hurt more:

[edit on 2005/1/19 by wecomeinpeace]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join