It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pilgrimage to Wright-Patterson, recommendations?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Hi folks, hope this message finds everyone well.
It's vacation time, and the lady and I are prepping up the camera gear for the first stop in our summer road trip:
That's right, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
We've Already signed up and are cleared for the "behind the scenes" tour, but I wanted to ask the community if anyone had any recommendations of cool places to visit in the area, especially places with a good view of the landing/takeoff airspace!
Thanks in advance, and All the best!

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: HomeyKXTA

There's a small airport not far from there. The museum has a few good viewing areas of the base, if they're flying. Weekday, or weekend?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There's a small airport not far from there. The museum has a few good viewing areas of the base, if they're flying. Weekday, or weekend?

Thanks Zaph! It'll be Weekday! Probably will want to start snapping around 6 or 7

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Then you'll probably catch at least one C-17 flying around doing touch and go landings.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Then you'll probably catch at least one C-17 flying around doing touch and go landings.

I sure hope so.
Last time I showed up to an AFB(Beale) just on a fluke, I got treated to quite the Touch & Go treat.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Loved going to that museum. When we still lived in Columbus, we would visit there at least 2-3 times a year. I hear they have now opened a new hangar with more exhibits. Have fun!

Fourth Building Now Open

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

It's cool to get to see them do a touch and go, but so much cooler to be out with the pogo team on the runway.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
Loved going to that museum. When we still lived in Columbus, we would visit there at least 2-3 times a year. I hear they have now opened a new hangar with more exhibits. Have fun!

Fourth Building Now Open

I am ecstatic to check out the fourth building. I can't wait to be in a museum that I'm allowed to take photos in!
=D

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I know you were fathered in (literally), where do us pleebs sign up?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   

It's cool to get to see them do a touch and go, but so much cooler to be out with the pogo team on the runway.

Oh you lucky mother trucker.
Well, you and your pogo team can go jump right back into iour fancy corvettes(or is it mustangs now?) And hightail it out of here before us non-NDA boys interrogate you using the highest barrel proof bourbon we can find

And what's this I'm told about the hill right by the final approach? Is it still a green light?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Oh you lucky mother trucker.
Well, you and your pogo team can go jump right back into iour fancy corvettes(or is it mustangs now?) And hightail it out of here before us non-NDA boys interrogate you using the highest barrel proof bourbon we can find

And what's this I'm told about the hill right by the final approach? Is it still a green light?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Last time I saw they were riding in Pontiac GTO's and G8's. Not sure if they've changed or not.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

They like them. They're fast enough to keep up easily, and can accelerate quickly so they don't get left behind.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Youre absolutely right. According to the new youtube video's(the most recent, and accurate news source) they're definitely P.O.N.T.I.A.C's . I could have sworn they were using Corvettes or Mustangs last year...am I totally wrong about this?
Most important note: Nothing wrong with those 4 wheeled american dream machines on a flight line. Especially when they've got a fellow pilot behind the wheel.
Another american dream machine:

just uploaded many photos this evening. I think i may start a new post on the area 51 forum with some photos from around the NT(T)R starting back in 1997 (I have a photo taken at the TTR mancamp main gate of an incoming Janet flight, along with crash debris from the F-4 Phantoms that had an inflight collision, as well as this:

I also found the "Aurora" trading card. Don't worry, both cards have "fact" sheets on the other side of the trading cards

last but not least, ill also post up photos like this.

I was barely double digits when this photo was taken by my dad.
Thank goodness he would challenge me to play chicken with the Dudes way back when

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Another gallery of the large gallery I have to post:
After asking for permission from the Wright-Patt/Edwards staff, and all other amazing volunteer staff who have made these kisses possible, the lady and I have been given so many green lights to complete our mission:
To kiss underneath the frames of some of the modern aviation legends. This round was here at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. During heavy observation of course.
Some of these you'll just have to believe me they happened, because we were not allowed to cuddle under these planes....not allowed to take photos of such encounters if they ever did happen.
Here's our kissing list so far. Along with some Cool airplane phtos when it happened

F-117A (EDW) (Cooley's Night Hawk. RIP)
YF-22 (EDW)
YF-23 (Wright-Patt)

Tactic Blue (Wright-Patt)

Bird Of Prey (Wright-Patt)

Sr-71(EDW&Wright-Patt...thats right, two times!)
YF-12A (Wright-Patt)

B-2 Spirit Of Freedom (Wright-Patt)
Andddd...This...another drone

Please enjoy the photos! Hope you like them! more to Come

edit on 7162016 by HomeyKXTA because: wrong pic

edit on 7162016 by HomeyKXTA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Purty birds. I really liked that darkstar hiding in the shadows.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

Thanks man,
These photos were almost too easy with an EOS and the brilliant lighting display the folks set up here.
I'm still proud of them though

Just wait until round two.
Photos of parts I collected from the two F-4 Phantom's crashsite,
Photos of Boeing's Condor program, Packed and sealed in many packages with LOTS of info.
Photos of an Iraqi Mig in the same hangar as an Osprey.
And that's just to begin

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Can't wait. Keep it up

posted on Jul, 28 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez
Sorry I haven't posted more, but here's two quick shots until the next time I can get on my computer.

Our tour group met under these words, that was the first sign confirming that we'd be seeing some fun stuff. The second exciting sign was noticing how many civilian NDA's were on hand, we didn't have to sign them, so I guess they were there "just in case"
We then went to a location in the base that I can't mention. Finally, we got to the last room that was open to us. That's when I noticed the firmly shuttered, large, blue door in the corner.

you don't have to be a UFO nut to get excited when you see a blue door at wright patt

There was more, but I think it would be inappropriate to post my thoughts on them.

On a side note, do we have any fans of prop planes/bombers here? I have lots of photos of the "Sloose" as well as the "Memphis Belle"!
If you'd like to see those being restored feel free to ask!

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

What do you suppose the off-set paint color is all about on the broadside of Ol' Blue here?
My first thought was RAM stripping, I've only seen Black painted planes that are now RAM-less, so I can't even guess.
But I'm hoping its a similar story to the awesome decal job that F-117A #781 ("Toxic Death") got when it was retired and put on display.
One can only dream

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join