It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Don't Black People Protest 'Black-on-Black Violence'?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Thanks great thread, really deserves more attention.

So when I found this article about some of the work being done within the Black communities and inner cities to combat Black-on-Black violence, and because so many on ATS seem to be completely and totally unaware of these efforts, it seemed appropriate -- perhaps even necessary -- to share.
OP

As it is a common misconception that these efforts do not happen. The silence is supported by agenda driven news and well, news that doesn't even care about that just ratings or pushing an opposite agenda(as some say Soros backed violence).

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Great post!!!

You've actually managed to open a few peoples eyes!

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I made this thread a year ago to the date, got a lot of stats and links...
The Elephant in The Room - The Culture of Minority Violence

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

And yet you have still failed to address the fact that 13% of the population commits over half of all the violent crime in the country. You want to keep blaming poverty, but lots of people are in poverty and still their violent crime rates are nowhere near the same level as black community. Address that.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

What exactly are they doing? It only gets worse and worse every year not better. And then of course there is the media attention. Black people are in much more Danger from other black people then they are cops. It's not even close.

Yes. But the other people are not meant to be protecting and second them . It's two separate issues.

It's like asking why black people don't protest cars as they are more likely to die from a crash. It's irrelevant. Cops are meant to be protecting black people as much as white people. Not shooting them like animals.

I support BLM.

Do you contend that a majority of black men that are shot by the cops are completely innocent and did nothing to deserve it?

You support a racist organization. There is a plethora of information available to prove that.

I dont support the organisation per se, I support what their original cause is. I would NEVER condone whar hapoened in Dallas, but i understand their frustration and why what happened happened.

And regardless of whether the black men are innocent or not, it's not up to the police to decide. How can you guys not see that?

If the black man is committing a violent action or trying to kill the cop then of course they're going to end up dead. He's unarmed instances are extremely rare and they happen to people of all colors.
edit on 13-7-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

And yet you have still failed to address the fact that 13% of the population commits over half of all the violent crime in the country. You want to keep blaming poverty, but lots of people are in poverty and still their violent crime rates are nowhere near the same level as black community. Address that.

But that's still really the issue. It's been proven over and over again. You don't have to give people hand outs, but when you give people access to education, and jobs and better economic conditions you reduce crime. That has always been true of every and any ethnic group or any minority. You should do some research. Not sure how you aren't aware of this?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

While poverty contributes, so does the culture that the black community has chosen to embrace....look at how the hiphop industry embraces "thug life"....Black crime can't be contributed to one and only one factor....

A2D

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

But that's still really the issue. It's been proven over and over again. You don't have to give people hand outs, but when you give people access to education, and jobs and better economic conditions you reduce crime. That has always been true of every and any ethnic group or any minority. You should do some research. Not sure how you aren't aware of this?

Again, other poor groups of people are not committing anywhere near the same level of crime. Its in the stats. I'd like it if you address the fact crime and violence is promoted heavily in "black culture". And remember, you're talking to a guy who grew up on gangsta rap and hip hop. I was listening to Public Enemy when I was 8.

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree

While poverty contributes, so does the culture that the black community has chosen to embrace....look at how the hiphop industry embraces "thug life"....Black crime can't be contributed to one and only one factor....

A2D

yeah interesting how crap like that is completely ignored. It's a clue that many people are just operating their programming and bringing attention to such things is racist.

edit on 13-7-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
I made this thread a year ago to the date, got a lot of stats and links...
The Elephant in The Room - The Culture of Minority Violence

Then you must be very pleased to know that so many good people with good hearts are doing so much to help change those very sad statistics you obviously took so much time to compile. I'm sure you were also very happy to know in reading the OP that those numbers are steadily going down -- no doubt in large part because of the efforts of these folks. Good people with good hearts putting their time and effort into lifting their community and fellow man UP... not tearing them down.

I cannot think of any other possible reason you would drop that in this thread -- much less touting your stats as you did so.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
They do. Why is it ignored by the media and our politicians and pretty much everyone??? We see so much about anti-police brutality protests -- not anti-police protests -- but this? Crickets.

So when I found this article about some of the work being done within the Black communities and inner cities to combat Black-on-Black violence, and because so many on ATS seem to be completely and totally unaware of these efforts, it seemed appropriate -- perhaps even necessary -- to share.

Why Don't Black People Protest 'Black-on-Black Violence'?

HARLEM -- New York public leaders, community organizations and residents gathered Sunday to celebrate the 42nd annual African American Day Parade in Harlem. One focal point of the march was to attenuate the looming violence in neighboring and citywide communities.

This was the 10th annual rally Loaf and Cynthia Thomas have sponsored and hosted every September 11 in response to the attack on America and the senseless acts of violence that occur in the Hill District and other "hoods" in the city of Pittsburgh and throughout the country.

Last fall, Parishioners on Patrol organized a Stop the Violence rally and march that attracted 150 people, a response to 22 shootings in Saginaw resulting in three deaths.

There are many, many more examples at the link.

I shared the good news first, but I think the most important (and telling) point was actually made earlier in the article:

Juan Williams offers a meme that we are seeing repeated in response to the widespread protests around Trayvon Martin:

"But what about all the other young black murder victims? Nationally, nearly half of all murder victims are black. And the overwhelming majority of those black people are killed by other black people. Where is the march for them?"

This is an interesting question. It's also one that Juan Williams, who's been writing about race for almost three decades, should be able to answer. Moreover, Williams is an award-winning journalist. Should he not know the answer, it would suit him to do his job and find out."

Of course Mr. Williams knows better. What we need to ask ourselves is why he would say such a thing when he does know better... and why isn't he telling us better and reporting on these events and promoting and encouraging these events?
-------------------------

The link above is from 2012. Here are some more recent articles:

There's some great background information and statistical context here: Actually, Blacks Do Care About Black Crime

First, a little context: In the last 20 years, we’ve seen a sharp drop in homicide among blacks, from a victimization rate of 39.4 homicides per 100,000 in 1991 to a rate of roughly 20 homicides per 100,000 in 2008. Likewise, the offending rate for blacks has dropped from 51.1 offenders per 100,000 in 1991 to 24.7 offenders per 100,000 in 2008. This decrease has continued through the 2010s and is part of a larger—and largely unexplained—national drop in crime.
----------------------------

The big lie: African-Americans don't care about black-on-black crime

Did you hear about the men of Alpha Phi Alpha, the nation's oldest black Greek-letter fraternity, marching down 79th Street last month to protest shootings in Chatham? How about the army of mothers in Englewood who gather at the scene of every shooting and patrol the streets of their neighborhood on foot? And what about the annual peace march in Grand Crossing that draws hundreds of South Siders onto the streets at the start of the school year?
-------------------------------

For perspective, this article talks about groups working in non-public and non-media attracting ways and their different approach: The Movement Against Police Violence Isn’t Ignoring ‘Black-on-Black Crime’

Black Lives Matter activists are concerned about intra-racial violence. But they don’t see police and prisons as the solution.
----------------------------------

A Better L.A.

ABLA’s gang prevention and intervention strategy focuses on working from the “inside-out” - that is, working within a community to effect change, rather than from the “outside-in.” This approach capitalizes on the power of long-term relationships, a shared identity, and trust. It also enables ABLA’s partners to connect with their community members in ways that others cannot. Many of ABLA’s outreach workers are drawn to this work, because they feel compelled to right the wrongs committed by them or the gangs they were previously affiliated with. By setting a positive example for the next generation, they are able to use their experiences to save and transform lives.

This confirmed what I suspected, that it's a relative few that commit the majority of violence:

In Los Angeles, gang homicides account for the majority of homicides among 15 to 24-year-olds - 61 and 69 percent, respectively - and are the second leading cause of death among people aged 15 to 24.

Much like studies and analyses have shown that it's just a relative few police officers that commit the majority of police brutality charges.
------------------------------

Inner City Visions

Inner City Visions is a 501(c)(3) Non-profit organization dedicated to gang violence reduction and youth development in Florence-Firestone since 2007. Inner City Visions is a funded partner of A BETTER LA, founded by Seattle Sea Hawks NFL head football coach Pete Carroll. ABLA unites local leaders from the private, non-profit, social service, faith-based, education and law enforcement sectors.
--------------------------------

The Newark Anti-Violence Coalition

A diverse collective of activists, community leaders and residents who are on the move to politicize and awaken the consciousness of Newark, one community, one home and one mind at a time. Rally with us every Wednesday to end the violence.
---------------------------------

These are just a handful of the many many people fighting the good fighting in their own communities. God love 'em and bless 'em -- each and every one. "Blessed are the peacemakers."

If they cared so much how come blacks are reluctant to tell the police what they know and see when a crime occurs?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

I don't want to know why either of you are so determined to focus on the problem rather than the solutions... which is in fact the topic of the thread.

Please just stop. This thread is about those people actually doing something positive and productive and proactive about the very same problems. These people are heroes. Please stop derailing the spirit and letter of the thread.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Wow...you know what? How about evolving past the animalistic urges and mentality....

AND NOT COMMITTING ACTS OF VIOLENCE???????

As a society...as a culture....GROW THE F**K UP.....

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

The answer is simple.

Eliminate the criminal element.

Screw the spirit and letter of the thread. It's all feel good ra-ra. What other demographic requires such blatant hand holding and glad handing to overcome something so basic....

DO NOT HARM PEOPLE.

But...you know...some simply haven't matured...evolved...or, care.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

Please. People can only speak for themselves. If you cannot give these people the credit they deserve for being awesome and actually being part of the solution... okay. But please don't derail the spirit of the thread by tearing down good people doing good things because it doesn't fit your paradigm.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I don't want to know why either of you are so determined to focus on the problem rather than the solutions... which is in fact the topic of the thread.

Your "solutions" involve blaming scapegoats and completely avoiding the real issue.

Please just stop. This thread is about those people actually doing something positive and productive and proactive about the very same problems. These people are heroes. Please stop derailing the spirit and letter of the thread.

If they're doing some good, then I'm all for it. I just don't see any evidence their strategy is correctly focused.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Obviously. We just don't agree on which ones.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

a reply to: nullafides

Obviously. We just don't agree on which ones.

Oh, I'm sorry...not fitting in with your agenda of self aggrandized victimization? Of a group that appear to be incapable of not ending up in violent situations?

Oh, ok. I'll just cover my eyes...and pretend nothing is going on.

LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA...

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Your "solutions" involve blaming scapegoats and completely avoiding the real issue.

If they're doing some good, then I'm all for it. I just don't see any evidence their strategy is correctly focused.

I simply cannot fathom why a special "strategy" is needed to teach something so elementary it should be encoded in our genes by now...

But for some...it's not.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
If Black people put half of their Anti-Police protest efforts into protesting the gangs that are slaughtering Black people in practical droves, there would be real change. Some quiet little invite only political event is not going to have the same effect on that violent crime as the protests they launch against the police. They literally burned city blocks down because of Michael Brown when it turned out, according to Eric #ing Holder that Wilson acted entirely appropriately, but where were those same assholes when that 10 year old was #ing murdered because his father was in an opposing gang? They were deafeningly quiet. Why weren't they blocking highways in memory of this kid? Why weren't they going to known gang houses and burning them down like the black owned businesses they did in Ferguson?

When they start doing THAT. I will be more apt to support them. Unfortunately, I won't be holding my breath.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I apologize if you feel that I'm derailing the thread, but that's not my intention, nor do I believe I am doing so. I commend the people who stand against violence, as I am next to them in opposition. People like Percy Miller (Master P) who at one point was notorious for demeaning women and embracing a life of violence...having said things such as

"The baby need milk so I got to get strapped with a 9
For some bull s*** rollin hard hittin 711's"

Or "F*** these hoes they just ding-dongs"

But has now turned his back on that old hate culture and embraced a culture of nonviolence....and is actively trying to make his community a better place....people like that inspire me...I take nothing away from them, nor would I attempt to do so.

The problem MUST be addressed though....you don't come to a solution without first knowing what the problem is.....

I'll end with a quote from Master P's "you need me and I need you" (about police brutality)

We pray for the families that lost their loved ones in this injustice. We pray for the police that lost their lives in these senseless killings. We fight ignorance with love and I'm not pointing the finger at nobody because this is a human problem we're facing right now. I'm just saying if a police commit a crime he should be treated like a criminal just like everybody else. We just want justice. No more paid vacations. POP pullover protocol. I mean we all hurtin' Blacks, Whites, Asians, Latinos. We all we got. We just want peace. When you know better, you do better. None of us perfect. 1st John 4:21 Anyone that love God must love his people. We got our hands up, don't shoot. We all we got.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join