It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: Theresa May forms new cabinet

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

originally posted by: RAY1990

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Morrad

Boris Johnson has been made Foreign Secretary.

Boris Johnson: 'The only reason I wouldn't visit some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump'
www.telegraph.co.uk... risk-of-meeting-Donald-Trump.html

Boris said nasty things about Donald , this should be fun.

Yep. He also called Obama inconsistent and part-Kenyan... Foreign secretary...shudders.

But he is, part Kenyan you know... By blood

Though he has tried I wouldn't say the ship Obama has been sailing has been keeping steady knots, the numbers of US soldiers on Iraqi turf is slowly growing is it not?

He used it as a derogatory slur to call into question Obama's opinion regarding the UK. Somehow suggesting his roots made him dislike the UK.

Do you know the story I am referring to or was your response one of those quick and smart comments?

I think he was just upset at the part Kenyan trying to tell another country what to do and lacing his demands with threats.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The only good things here are Boris getting the foreign office and that scumfu*k Osborne finally getting the boot.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Boris Johnson: 'The only reason I wouldn't visit some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump'

Yep. He also called Obama inconsistent and part-Kenyan... Foreign secretary...shudders.

Though he has tried I wouldn't say the ship Obama has been sailing has been keeping steady knots, the numbers of US soldiers on Iraqi turf is slowly growing is it not?

He used it as a derogatory slur to call into question Obama's opinion regarding the UK. Somehow suggesting his roots made him dislike the UK.

Do you know the story I am referring to or was your response one of those quick and smart comments?

I think he was just upset at the part Kenyan trying to tell another country what to do and lacing his demands with threats.
Regardless it's a cheap and nasty shot, that being said evidence stands that the US attempted to influence the vote and after all the press releases Obama did come out and say the "special" relationship will be unaltered by the result.

So jonjonj, I guess the inconsistency part can be accounted for, haven't had the chance to look up what was said and why but I'm not the fan of cheap shots.

CX

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Boris for Foreign Secretary....that would only have been a good choice if Prince Phillip was also running for the job.

I weep for our country...it's like a live episode of the Muppets.

CX.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
the queen appoints the PM ? huh ?

Its ceremonial.

She doesn't have a choice.

No monarch has ever refused.

To do so would likely end the monarchy.

so how did this happen so fast ?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

the queen appoints the PM ? huh ?

Its ceremonial.

She doesn't have a choice.

No monarch has ever refused.

To do so would likely end the monarchy.

so how did this happen so fast ?

PM resigned.

As we only had a election last may (should be every 5 years) and we just left the EU so someone needs to step up quick the conservative party MPs nominated May.

In 4 years time we will have another general election.

Queen had no roles or choice in the matter,

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

PM resigned.

As we only had a election last may (should be every 5 years) and we just left the EU so someone needs to step up quick the conservative party MPs nominated May.

In 4 years time we will have another general election.

Queen had no roles or choice in the matter,

what is a MP ?

sorry, I really just don't know

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Member of parliament reply to: syrinx high priest

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Well now, that is a facile response if ever there was one. Just to keep to the point though, this guy, who is now our foreign secretary, has insulted leaders from two of the biggest trading blocks on the planet...just as we are leaving the EU.

Boris on Hilary Clinton, even as he was backing her for president in 2008:

“She’s got dyed blonde hair and pouty lips, and a steely blue stare, like a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital.”

Telegraph article

Boris writing on Obama when Obama removed a bust of Churchill from the White House:

“a symbol of the part-Kenyan President’s ancestral dislike of the British empire—of which Churchill had been such a fervent defender.”

The Sun daily rag

Boris on Trump:

“the only reason I wouldn't go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump.”

Telegraph again

I haven't bothered mentioning the times he has insulted EU leaders, too many to count.

Foreign secretary...right.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Member of parliament reply to: syrinx high priest

OK, so parliament picks someone from the majority party that won the previous election ?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

In the UK we have what is referred to as a parliamentary democracy. During elections we don't vote for an individual person, we vote for a party. The leader of that party becomes PM.

The leader of the party is chosen by its members according to predetermined party rules. As David Cameron stepped down as leader of the Conservatives a new leader is chosen from within its ranks. As the Conservatives won the last election that person automatically becomes PM.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest
In principle, yes. Since the time of Gladstone and Disraeli, parties have gone into elections with leaders already in place, so that they can step into power when their party wins. If no party has a majority, leaders have to negotiate to create one, as happened in 2010. When a leader steps down between elections, something like this has to happen so that a new leader can take over the majority. Formally speaking, the outgoing man normally "advises" the Queen about his successor- she has immense political power in theory, but is not actually allowed to do anything except "under advice".

In recent decades, the basic principle has been muddied because parties have taken to extending the leadership vote to the party members at large. I always thought this was a mistake, because it created the theoretical possibility of a party leader whom the party M.P.'s did not want. This has now become a reality in the fiasco surrounding the other main party leader, Jeremy Corbyn. You may have seen news stories about that.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Just as well if he stays off his bike. Like many of us he'll chase dangerous motorists in the heat of the moment, which can lead to panicky behaviour from the motorist.

. . .Johnson admits he “saw red” and put the hammer down in pursuit of the car . . .

Johnson takes up the story: “There were three kids inside, and I could see the culprit goggling up at me with appalled recognition. They lurched off again in the hope of escape, but of course I had them at the next lights.”

Again he yelled at them to stop, telling the youths, “I am the mayor!” which elicited the response from the driver, “I know you is the mayor, and it was a accident.”

Johnson finally managed to get the car to stop in a street close to the British Museum, where he asked the trio why they had thrown something at his head.

“Please, Mr Boris sir, this wasn’t meant to happen,” said one.

“We know you is the mayor, man,” said another.

“We gotta lot of respect for the things you are doing,” added a third.

road.cc...

The clown act doesn't mean he's nice, and I suspect some of his antics are staged. But he does have a refreshing lack of care for petty considerations. Strolling through Baghdad looking for someone to negotiate with left me with a sense of disbelief at the time.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

That's why I said I had to laugh...foreign affairs is going to start getting interesting

He will bring fun back into politics hopefully.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Boris isn't nearly the buffoon people like to think he is.

It's more of a disguise to make him appear more affable in general.

I really think he'll make an excellent Foreign Secretary.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I agree

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Boris isn't nearly the buffoon people like to think he is.

It's more of a disguise to make him appear more affable in general.

I really think he'll make an excellent Foreign Secretary.

I think his appointment may be a work of genius by May. If he turns out to be a disaster it will destroy any chance of Boris plotting against her, with little negative electoral impact on her as he has no domestic mandate and there is a separate cabinet post to deal with EU withdrawal. If he is a success then she can claim all the credit for an inspired appointment.

Like or Loath May I don't think there is any doubt that she is bit sharper than many of her fellow MP's.

edit on 14-7-2016 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
I think his appointment may be a work of genius by May. If he turns out to be a disaster it will destroy any chance of Boris plotting against her.

The same point also works in the national interest. If he really is not up to a top job, we get the chance to find out at an early stage, and that issue is put out of the way.

Another consideration; in an official post, especially that official post, his hands are tied from unofficial campaigning. He can't be an enthusiastic guest speaker for Marie le Pen or join in any "Leave" campaigns which might start up in other countries. That might be how she sold his appointment to other European leaders.

edit on 14-7-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
P.S. The Foreign Secretary has his own Question Time. I think it may be on Tuesdays. That could be more worth watching in future.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Dope on a rope.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join