It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grown adults obsessing over videogames, comics, superheroes annoy me!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: secretboss

Go hit the gym with those power tools. Maybe youll feel better afterwards.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Video games isn't the problem. It is MMO or MOBA video games that is the problem. Video games used to tell stories and predict future of unimaginable events. Now the market is full of Multiplayer video games such as Overwatch which is the problem.I don't see much people going out to play anymore. They are either too busy playing mobile games or indoor multiplayer games or working 8/7.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I never cared for video games after 15 years old.

I would say to maybe compare a skateboarding video game to actually riding one on a ramp, there is no comparison.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Boomy327

Everyone complaining to the OP must collect action figures too w greying hair.. lol

I don't know, the guy has a point. I can see where he's coming from.

I mean I play games once in a while .. nothing wrong with that but the OP has a point.

Maybe I should be spending my time on a more important post so I'll leave..

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I don't care who you are or where you come from.
I will smear you at Robotron.
Gumby is my favorite super hero.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Mind your own business.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Cheddarhead

I stopped concerning myself with what other people think of my behavior when I left high school. If others want to view me as childish for playing video games then they can go be snobs somewhere else. I just won't hang around them. The fact of the matter is that entertainment is entertainment. It can EASILY be tailored to all ages. Hell I still enjoy watching Disney movies from time to time. If growing up means abandoning everything I like to do, then I'll have none of that. They'll probably have to pry a playstation controller out of my hands on my death bed.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Hell I still enjoy watching Disney movies from time to time.

Proving once more that all the Masonic subliminal messages do in fact work.

*consume* *obey* *send Augie money*

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

But that isn't true. For every person who wastes his life on entertainment there is someone else who takes it VERY seriously and is a work-a-holic. These people are the ones with the ideas to lead change and meld society, but this has always been the case. The fortunate thing today though is that the opportunity to BE that person is greater than ever for more people than ever.

Let me explain what I mean here by giving you an example of a brand new industry that has popped up over the last decade and a half. E-sports. E-sports used to be a niche hobby of hardcore gamers that provided some side cash for living your life, but most people either had additional sources of income or where relying on their parents' income to attend events. However, these kids grew up and still play those games. Many of them went on to set up streaming services, organize tournaments professionally, promote games, or even go work for video game developers as balance consultants. Entire careers have been created around this industry, and that's not even talking about the actual gamers who are now starting to earn enough money through winning tournaments and sponsorships to actually be professional gamers.

This weekend is the biggest fighting game tournament in the world. Evolution Championship Series or just Evo. There will be merchandise for sale there, side tournaments, its in Vegas so betting, there's like 5 or 6 different streams for all the games running all weekend, etc. Plus various companies that make fighting games are putting up HUGE pots for the winners of the games being represented. So that should give you an idea of all the personnel involved with this tournament, and all of them are doing it over a video game. A toy for children according to the OP.

So as you can see, just because things look to be stagnant doesn't mean that we aren't moving into the future. The internet alone has literally redefined society. We are only just now starting to see the ways people will change the world with it. At the end of the day, worry about what entertains yourself. Things like Facebook make it easier than ever to connect with other people who enjoy your hobbies. The only thing limiting your choices is your own hesitation.
edit on 14-7-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
a reply to: Boomy327

Everyone complaining to the OP must collect action figures too w greying hair.. lol

I don't know, the guy has a point. I can see where he's coming from.

I mean I play games once in a while .. nothing wrong with that but the OP has a point.

Maybe I should be spending my time on a more important post so I'll leave..

So what IS the point? Aside from that you have different interests (that I'm sure are as much a bore to us as ours are to you)
If people enjoy a franchise, or collect something, should they be limited to stick-in-the-mud pre-approved collectibles only? Jeez, why don't you just advocate Precious Moments as the only approved thing to like?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: AzureWolf

I love the crafting system in SWTOR, my favorite part of the game.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Cheddarhead

I used to and then I gave up.

I have a Hoburn Washburn POP sitting on my desk at work and a Jayne Cobb POP sitting on my desk here at home. I didn't figure Jayne would go over well at work since he's carrying a big @ss gun.

I don't collect things obsessively, but occasionally I see a collectible I like. I almost got a Potted Groot POP.

I can't see how it's much different than women who go all in on interior design and are constantly redoing their interior looks with new drapes and stuff. Only I might be sticking geeky figs on my end tables.

I think a lot of it boils down to you tend to criticize what doesn't "turn you on". I truly don't get the obsession with Fantasy Football, but my coworker was just rabid about it. March Madness? Personally, I couldn't care less, but other people wait all year for it. It's their "thing". What you may consider a passion, someone else will see as obsession or a waste of time.

Grown men enjoying superheroes, comic books and baseball cards? Maybe it was a childhood passion that they put down at one time (like the bible verse about putting away the things of childhood) and later realized that they enjoyed and took it back up again.

Nostalgia can be powerful. It takes you back to a time in your life when you remember things as simpler and usually better. I got my first Dawn doll for Christmas in 1968 or 69 and just ADORED that doll. Years later, when I bought my first one and put her in my doll case, I was thrilled all over again.

Never underestimate the thrill of finding some elusive, hard to find item to add to your collection. When your life is basically get up go to work, come home, nod off in front of the TV, go to bed and repeat the process the next day, that little "thrill" is even sweeter.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I am not talking about responsible adults who play games or watch a superhero film once in a while to unwind.

I'm talking about the man-boys...children in adult bodies, who obssessively play videogames 24/7...and literally live inside games. I know so many peoples whose lives revolve around avengers, pokemons and Xbox and so on. The scary thing is that those guys are in their 30s and 40s.

They lead unhealthy lifestyles, eat junk and dont get any exercise. Sure its none of my business, but about the ones with kids? Their kids are going to be raised into unhealthy slobs playing games all day like their worthless dads.

Guys sitting on their butts playing games all day and not getting exercise isn't cool or nerdy or geeky. It's just unhealthy and unmanly. If thats what you'd rather embrace, have at it.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: secretboss so funny!😃what about fresh air... maybe they will just pass out from lack of oxygen..or get sick from eating potatoes chips and the poor kids will learn a tuff lesson about how you shouldn't always follow in your dad's foot steps... wait the dad doesn't step anywhere... just served like a king as he plays the precious games!
Oh man, that very poor parenting..your so right.😂

what to do for those kids, man?

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Its entertainment and a hobby. I've been playing video games for 25 years+ but I also have two careers and a family. I think its better than going to a bar or playing golf every weekend. Do what you enjoy, have fun, you only live once.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I will be playing my video games and reading my comics until I die.

I am glad to see how enlightened you are. You really do seem better than everyone else.

With all of that focused spare time you have, I am sure you are rolling in those federal reserve notes like a BAWSS!

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   

And also, most video games are not intended for children. The average age of a gamer is mid 30's because we all grew up with them. Most of them are pretty violent and have adult themes.

Consider it like watching a movie, which I am sure you do, or watching TV.

It is similar except that the gamer is stimulating their mind, body, hand eye coordination, and socializing with a group of people that is usually pretty intelligent and often times technically savvy.

The average computer gamer can build his/her own PC from scratch, build websites, and surf the internet without getting viruses and having to call Best Buy to save them. I have made life long friends from video games. I have tons of real life friends that I met first on an online gaming platform, some of those I have had for 15+ years now. I had a roommate that I lived with for 2 years, and the first time I saw them (a couple) was when I pulled up to their home with a U-haul. Still friends to this day.

You are missing out.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: secretboss
It really annoys me how so many adult males, sometimes with children, are obsessing over childish things like videogames, comics and superhero movies and figures.

Example, a friend of mine (mid 30's) was telling me how excited he is about some new video game he plays. He brags about how he plays it till 3 AM and constantly posts video game related memes on facebook.

Another guy I know at work (40 something, married with 2 children) collects action figures and buys videogames for himself! Videogames and action figures?! At 40?? Seriously???

And just the other day, I saw a balding dude on the street, definitely in his 40s, wearing a Batman T-shirt!

I could go on and on. But seriously, what is going on? Adult males should be using power tools, building stuff, working out at the gym and so on....NOT immersing themselves in amusements intended for kids!!

/rant

So...what are your hobbies? So we can judge you accordingly and express our annoyance with your choices, and exclaim how disappointed we are with your own life.

The only.person that needs to grow up in this whole entire thread is the OP.

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Wow. Less than 2 weeks on this site and this is the second thread of mine that made it to the front page!

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: secretboss
Wow. Less than 2 weeks on this site and this is the second thread of mine that made it to the front page!

So you made a thread about losers who put too much stock in silly things....

Then you brag about a thread you made on a website that few people know about....

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join