It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One striking chart shows why pharma companies are fighting legal marijuana

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

There's a body of research showing that painkiller abuse and overdose are lower in states with medical marijuana laws . . . Now a new study, released in the journal Health Affairs, validates these findings by providing clear evidence of a missing link in the causal chain running from medical marijuana to falling overdoses.
WaPo

Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Prescription Medication Use In Medicare Part D

While this study only looks at prescriptions involving Medicare Part D, I wonder what the overall rate of prescription usage is now in these same states. I would imagine those rates, and rates of overdose, would also be down. That is a good thing. If they are down a significant degree, no wonder pharma is highly concerned. Beasts will always fight for their own survival, especially where money is involved.

Using data on all prescriptions filled by Medicare Part D enrollees from 2010 to 2013, we found that the use of prescription drugs for which marijuana could serve as a clinical alternative fell significantly, once a medical marijuana law was implemented.

In medical-marijuana states, the average doctor prescribed 265 fewer doses of antidepressants each year, 486 fewer doses of seizure medication, 541 fewer anti-nausea doses and 562 fewer doses of anti-anxiety medication.

But most strikingly, the typical physician in a medical-marijuana state prescribed 1,826 fewer doses of painkillers in a given year.

We know how powerful the pharmaceutical lobby is, how it continues to push new drugs onto markets at a staggering rate, and how the costs are are obscenely inflated on many drugs. No wonder they would fight the legalization as forcefully as they can, as it cuts into their profit.

Pharmaceutical companies have also lobbied federal agencies directly to prevent the liberalization of marijuana laws. In one case, recently uncovered by the office of Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), the Department of Health and Human Services recommended that naturally derived THC . . . be moved from Schedule 1 to Schedule 3 . . . at least one drug company that manufactures a synthetic version of THC . . . wrote to the Drug Enforcement Administration to express opposition to rescheduling natural THC. . . . The DEA ultimately rejected the HHS recommendation without explanation.

One limitation of the study is that it only looks at Medicare Part D spending, which applies only to seniors.

I'm not a fan of pills. I have seen over-prescription (of certain types) first hand, I have seen the devastating effects of pill addition, and I am disgusted at how, it seems, every few months there is a new ad for a new pill for some new "condition" that seems like a bunch of BS and has so many side effects it might be safe to not use it. Pharmaceutical reps visiting doctors' officers and offering the newest pill that doctors then prescribe almost as if new candy had been manufactured. I subscribe to several magazines (BH&G, NatGEO, etc) and every issue has AT LEAST 12 ads for prescription drugs ALONE. It disgusts me to no end.

So, of course the pharma industry will lobby against this, unless they can find a way to get their hand in on it.

Bottom line: We have a really bad pill problem in this country, and it makes the pharmaceutical industry tons of money. $$$

"JAMA Internal Medicine Study: Medical Cannabis Laws and Opioid Analgesic Overdose Mortality in the United States, 1999-2010"
archinte.jamanetwork.com...

"In States With Medical Marijuana, Painkiller Deaths Drop by 25 Percent"
www.newsweek.com...

[[I have no idea what's going with html and urls on ATS these days.]][
edit on 13-7-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

edit on 13/7/16 by masqua because: fixed url

edit on 13/7/16 by masqua because: trying to fix url

edit on 13/7/16 by JAK because: Link code

edit on 13-7-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Jul 14 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: supporting links provided by OP

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
And people drink less alcohol and use way less tobacco, or even no tobacco anymore.
That´s the other industries fighting legal cannabis.

And i personally believe that smoking cannabis or hash makes people think. At least they will take time to think.
And selfthinking people are not that good to control...
I ever have to end with that alcoholic because there is no sign for a joint...

(post by nobunaga removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
And people drink less alcohol and use way less tobacco, or even no tobacco anymore.
That´s the other industries fighting legal cannabis.

And i personally believe that smoking cannabis or hash makes people think. At least they will take time to think.
And selfthinking people are not that good to control...
I ever have to end with that alcoholic because there is no sign for a joint...

Its a pity that marijuana has been demonized for decades. Just the benefits of less pharma alone should get the masses in unison.
edit on 13-7-2016 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Unfortunately marijuana will never be completely legalized until Big Pharma finds a way to regulate and profit from it.

edit on 13-7-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32
In the beginning, when i was young and everybody was smoking weed or hash, i tried to find out what the reason could be for the demonizing of weed/hash.
First i thought "they" are afraid that people become to lazy to work for "their" profits.
But that couldn´t be, because i knew a lot of hard working people that woke up at 4 in the morning, to drink a coffe, take a shower, to have breakfast and before leaving the house to smoke a pipe, a joint, a bucket, whatever. And then they did their work, as they do it till today. Most of them still smoke and never had a problem with being lazy.

Then i thought about traffic, but everyone i knew and know drives way more careful when stoned, and way, way less fast. So that didn´t make sense too. You were even allowed to drink alcohol and drive a car, not much, but it wasn´t forbidden completely. And we all know what drunken drivers can and will cause.

Then i came to the tobacco-, alcohol- and pharmacy industries. And here it all started to make sense, watching myself and the people everywhere around me. Nobody smoked cigarettes anymore, alcohol two times a year, maybe.
And for me, i never used any chemical medications, Bayer stuff and all that. Ok, when i was a young child and my parents gave it to me, because the Doctors said so. I remember being often ill as a child. But when i grew up, i refused taking pharmacy, because i mentioned that if i am ill, i am as fast, maybe even faster fit again, than with taking that whole chemical stuff.

Since that i got one cold per year, not even every year, it comes three days, stays three days and leaves three days.
Ah, and i started to smoke weed/hash at the age of 17, now i am 25 years older. I have no problems with my health, looking younger than i am actually are. Compared to the alcohol addicts sometimes i even look 20 years younger then them. I have no belly from drinking alcohol, i am not fat, doing sports every day, some weightlifting and exercises at home. If i would drink, i couldn`t do sports, because drinking makes me really ill for some days. If i drink some beers, it´s like i need to stay three days in my bed.

But to come back to the reasons for the cannabis prohibition, i really believe that this "thinking thing" is a big reason for "them", too. Look, people nowadays are rushed through their lifes, their head full of problems, job, money, paying the rent and bills, and all that. The people never have time to think about all that, and why it is like it is. But if people use some good herbs, they will take the time they deserve. And start to think...

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Big Pharm and the "reefer madness" crowd are derailing millions of people from a proper form of medication... I moved from Chicago to Washington state due to my crohns and the fact that marijuana helps with inflammation and also helps me with gaining an appetite to eat... I thankfully had the means/opportunity to move cross country, but I know so many cannot. Its a damn shame that the pharmaceutical companies are allowed to throw around their money in DC so easily..

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

It should, but too many people like their "magic pills" that they get from their "safe" doctor.

Thus, the cycle continues.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Yes.. bingo, control it, copyright it, engineer it to take the fun out of it too.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Your story is so similar to so many others. Its a shame that isnt what is plastered on marijuana stories. Unfortunately people will never know the benefits. Such as a child going from 600 seizures a day to zero a day

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

But to come back to the reasons for the cannabis prohibition

First we have to look at the historicity of the anti-marijuana propaganda and prohibition, PBS timeline (summary).

Once we see that public perception is significantly changing, and science is largely refuting that BS, the next problem, as the OP suggests: the pharmaceutical industry. Instead of (safely) opening people's minds, it's easier to keep people sedated and unquestioning productive members of society, with pills as one means.

Pharma, entertainment, propaganda, and MONEY.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
at the bottom of the chart..glaucoma..35 more.
doesnt make sense to me, why more?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51
at the bottom of the chart..glaucoma..35 more.
doesnt make sense to me, why more?

One interesting wrinkle in the data is glaucoma, for which there was a small increase in demand for traditional drugs in medical-marijuana states. It's routinely listed as an approved condition under medical-marijuana laws, and studies have shown that marijuana provides some degree of temporary relief for its symptoms.

The Bradfords hypothesize that the short duration of the glaucoma relief provided by marijuana — roughly an hour or so — may actually stimulate more demand in traditional glaucoma medications. Glaucoma patients may experience some short-term relief from marijuana, which may prompt them to seek other, robust treatment options from their doctors.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Research Dr Hulda Clark.....MJ is potentially an anti-parasitic.....and this is why there is an ACROSS THE BOARD DECREASE in prescribed meds....because parasites have killed more human beings than any thing else in the universe.Under legally endorsed dynamics MJ EATEN is anti-parasitic.Dr. Clark also made possible connections to cancer being a mould and to penecillan as a globally used mould itself being a conributor to global cancer....Hulda connected the 2 global sources of water treament chemicals to an INCREASED GROWTH OF PARASITES...meaning the chemicals we use globally to clean our water and there are only TWO USED GLOBALLY... create a sympathetic environment for exponential parasitic growth meaning it makes us sicker.....in the long run.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

"There is a strain for every pain..." I know a guy that has been prescribed opiate pain meds (Norco and Fentanyl) for 12 years and He is on the same dosage as when He originally started the doses. He attribute this to supplementing the opiates for strains of Cannabis that are grown w/pain reliving properties grown in..

Folks who use cannabis need to KNOW that Monsanto™ and other poison pushers are trying to develop genetically modified cannabis seeds so be fore warned. But that is just 1 tentacle of the reason(s) why it continues to be criminalized.
#1 w/a bullet- MONEY$$ and lots of it.
#2 For snips and giggles look at Afghanistan's production of opium from the year 2001 and what it is now. What has happened in that time span? America went through, first an opiate pain medicine epidemic and when the "survivors" the ones that didn't die or were incarcerated (see #1) they were "cut off" and 'most' of the Doctors that were happy to prescribe Vicodin™ for sprained eyelashes, were now telling patients to 'piss off' This led these folks to either buying opiates on the street or turning to the cheaper and readily available Heroin.
Both of these are produced with opium. See how much they grew. When did 'The Allies' invade Afghanistan? Why are We still there? Why did We invade them?..

namaste

Proud Member of LEAP•Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
You want to break Big Pharma?

This is the golden bullet, privatize the farms and keep it out of Monsantos grasp is the next step

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
They want to claim crops that have the tag from cross pollination as their own strains.a reply to: JimNasium

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

It sure does, but has anyone asked the question, do the pills work in harmony, to create a list of side effects that require more pills to dampen? When I look at Statins , and find that 50% of the users have cataracts within two years, this then benefits the optician, who do laser and cataract surgery, which seems to fix the problem for a bit, but requires continual visits to the surgery. Or Blood pressure medication where 10 % seem to get diabetes after a while. Which then require another round of meds. Doctors are not trained in Nutrition, nor would their main funders "Big Pharma want them to be. If you don't fix the cause, you end up with a pill for every ill, then another for its side effect. When the body just wants the right vitamins and minerals to fix itself.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
when I used marijuana as a recreational drug. I would often use it when I was in pain from an injury as well. But it made the pain more intense while making me more dense.

The last time I took a puff I could see how dumb pot made me. I don't ever want to feel that way again.

Pot is not the answer Jesus is.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

you are superimposing your personal experience onto that of others.

it seems to be a trend amongst the "JC is the Answer" crowd

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join