It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deepest View Ever of the Orion Nebula Reveals Hidden Objects

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: Phage

Thank you for the reply.

I get the super Jupiter idea. So they are detected by heat signatures? Ok, cool.

Regarding the Earth sized planet detection, I never said they had been detected, or never meant to, I was referring to what the article states here:

: “Our result feels to me like a glimpse into a new era of planet and star formation science. The huge number of free-floating planets at our current observational limit is giving me hope that we will discover a wealth of smaller Earth-sized planets with the E-ELT.”

How could they be detected, is the telescope going to be that good?

Astrobiologist are building up a library of spectroscopic data sets for every organic chemical. If they find an Earth like planet they can analyse the graph of light wavelength amplitudes and match that against known molecules. So if there was the green of chlorophyll or plankton, that would be a clue.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: gortex

Disclosure drip.

Orionids...
Nice share gortex

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: Jonjonj

Let's hope it is...imagine the possibilities of being able to detect them, we can't get to them, but it is interesting to know they are there.

This is what I was wondering about. If they are talking about planet hunting in general that is fantastic, but I thought they were talking specifically about hopefully detecting planet sized objects in the Orion nebula. If they were not reflecting light I was startled at the implication of resolving objects that small, that far away.

I was going to get all ornery and complainy about them not looking at the huge amount of exoplanets discovered much closer to home!

I reckon that an image of an actual planet around another star will be a paradigm shifting event for people, can't wait!

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: Phage

Thank you for the reply.

I get the super Jupiter idea. So they are detected by heat signatures? Ok, cool.

Regarding the Earth sized planet detection, I never said they had been detected, or never meant to, I was referring to what the article states here:

: “Our result feels to me like a glimpse into a new era of planet and star formation science. The huge number of free-floating planets at our current observational limit is giving me hope that we will discover a wealth of smaller Earth-sized planets with the E-ELT.”

Astrobiologist are building up a library of spectroscopic data sets for every organic chemical. If they find an Earth like planet they can analyse the graph of light wavelength amplitudes and match that against known molecules. So if there was the green of chlorophyll or plankton, that would be a clue.

And wonderful work they are doing too...but don't you want that first pic of an alien planet? Maybe only a smudge, but a smudge with colour, that can be processed...right?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Maybe only a smudge, but a smudge with colour, that can be processed...right?

Hopefully we will get something like that when the James Webb Space Telescope finally launches in 2018.

JWST will also carry coronagraphs to enable direct imaging of exoplanets near bright stars. The image of an exoplanet would just be a spot, not a grand panorama, but by studying that spot, we can learn a great deal about it. That includes its color, differences between winter and summer, vegetation, rotation, weather...How is this done? The answer again is spectroscopy.
jwst.nasa.gov...

JWST could be a game changer.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

The JW telescope combined with computer processing power and new extrapolation techniques...boggles the mind really.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Fantastic full-sized image here: cdn.eso.org...

I cropped a portion and turned it around to give you a view through the central part:

Adaptive optics FTW!

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

That brought me to tears---Beautiful

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The Stars were created to give light unto our planet at night, for signs and for seasons, and years.

Gen 1:14-15 ¶ And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
So when man starts looking at them for any other reason than what they were established for he has forgotten their purpose and he has to reinvent the purpose for them. Which in the end is unattainable to him.

I look forward to the New Heaven for it will be for exploration for them perfected in Christ.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Where are all the hot green chicks?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join