It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And now stop it, please.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew
I prefer to think of myself as the word police...
Ask youtube, it's fully aware of my role, well certain people are

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnochRoot
a reply to: intrptr
Wow. The real me is an arse.
I don't think I like him very much.

The real you that admits its defects is the real you. The negative baggage is that anger, get to the root of that.

Then you won't need an escape to hide in.

Tobacco covers for a lot of ill. I know, I smoked for thirty five years.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
One of my pet peeves is "a" or "an" in the wrong place.
This link has a pretty good explanation.

I also hate the misuse of the word "literally".

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: EnochRoot

Using a conjunction to start a sentence does not violate any English rules when applied to colloquial writing in an informal venue such as this one.

If the post requirements were such that each thread and subsequent comment had to be written in a formal fashion, the use of a conjunction could be considered to be inappropriate or even improper by conventional standards. Until I took advanced English comp in college, I thought exactly as you do.

But here, in this informal setting you can resolve the conjunction with a comma, as I just did, to adhere to the rules of formal writing while also keeping with the colloquial dialogue. Or you can write in the way you actually speak (like this...most people text in this manner too), which is often in sentence fragments as new thoughts occur to us: "But what about ____?", or to simplify what we're trying to say: "Or not...", or to make each statement stand on its own to emphasize a point: "I feel very angry. And confused. And I don't like feeling that way. But I do anyway. And it is important to me that you understand that."

But it's really annoying when you've had something ingrained since grade school as being incorrect or improper start popping up all over the place. One in particular really got to me personally; writers using sentences like: "When the waiter arrived with his drink he was annoyed to see it was tea not soda as he had ordered." What the quark?? What the hell happened to the comma?? Don't these people have editors??

But I found that this, too, is perfectly acceptable. And it still bothers me even knowing that, because it flies in the face of what I was taught in school as a child. And if I see it more than once in the same paragraph, I'll begin to develop a twitch in my eyelid because it irks me so much. Have I caused you to twitch yet? ;P

This person breaks it down pretty well:

Oxford

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen
There's some more stuff I got taught as a child that's a crock then. I think I'm beginning to see an issue with trusting authority figures here.

Commas, I am with you all the way.

Pointless & wrong I may be, these things still vex me grievously.
However, these formal literary revelations added to the last couple of hours are making me realise that, currently for me, caring about anything is a waste of energy & time.

I know nothing.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
Ne nor ne nor....put yo hands up for the grammer police.

Grammar*

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I can completely relate to your vexation. I know the old adage is, "learn something new every day" but you'd think with something as widely used as the English language, they'd at least make some effort to let everyone in on any revisions in grammar rules. People get in some pretty heated arguments about stuff like this, believe it or not.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Things that piss me off - spoken or typed

people who constantly say "literally"

Putting the phrase "........if you will" at the end of a sentence. If I will what??!!

People who say "I seen it" instead of "I saw it"

"bro"

People who use internet acronyms when speaking. especially saying "FYI"

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc

May as well add on that it isn't "should of" or "could of" or "would of", but rather it is "should have", "could have" and "would have". I see so many making this mistake.

This one really bugs me as well. IMO it also shows the education level of the poster.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico
I don't think I've seen it used properly here once. I agree with you; it's irksome.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I think my signature speaks for itself.

If I want to start my sentence with a full-stop, I WILL!

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Can't think of any, off the top of my head.

Except the beginning of Jerusalem by William Blake.

Wordsmiths were doing it back in the 18th century.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join