It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cycle of Depression & Poverty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I read with interest, the recent thread in this section on depression. The thread seemed to have a lot more insight than the OP, but I wanted to add a number of thoughts.

Before I get started, yes, I've suffered from depression. But I want to look at the connection between often unrealized depression and poverty here.

People form their identities and basic belief systems by the time they're about 6-7 years old. During ages 0-6, their brain waves literally run more slowly. Adults display four main states:

BETA - consciousness
ALPHA - calm thoughts, meditation, "daydreaming"
THETA - sleep or deep meditation
DELTA - deep, dreamless sleep

But from ages 0-6, children's brainwaves typically operate in the THETA or ALPHA range. This causes them to process external stimuli without consciously filtering it. In other words, if they see their parents fighting over finances, talking or joking about how they're at the effect of their present circumstances, etc., the child will learn those same patterns without even realizing it.

Once that self-identity is formed (e.g., "I'm poor and I always will be"), it becomes part of the subconscious. Then it has an impact on us lifelong, and often manifests as depression, addictive or destructive behavior, etc.

The solution is to "reprogram" what's in the person's subconscious. As the previous thread stated, antidepressant drugs only treat the symptoms, not the underlying cause. That reprogramming can be done through cognitive behavioral therapy, of course, but it's only as effective as the therapist and their own patterns and filters. They're not going to be able to help you move beyond their own personal self-limitations.

Poverty, and the cycle of poverty, is more than just the result of external circumstances. It's also about the response to those external circumstances -- normally accepting that this is the way life is, it doesn't get any better, etc.

Think about this. If a child constantly hears that they can do anything they set their mind to, that with enough creativity you can solve any problem, that they're competent and capable, are they more or less likely to view life in a positive light? If they see their parents or siblings calmly working through difficulties instead of arguing and getting emotional, are they more or less likely to be good problem-solvers as adults? Are they more or less likely to have a better lifestyle and standard of living?

It's true that some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouth, as it were. They inherit money, are handed opportunities, etc. But simply comparing yourselves with people like that and then railing at the unfairness of life, simply reinforces the mental message that we, ourselves, will never have the good things in life. Is that really the message you want to keep telling yourself?

It takes work, discipline, and looking at the lifestyles of those better off than us in an appreciative, rather than envious way, to have even the possibility of bettering our own lot in life. And think about this. Where are you more likely to be able to learn about how to be successful in life? From those who are successful (which may not be your family or friends), or from those who are broke, poor, or complain about life all the time?

One of the major patterns of poverty is to focus on all of the "wrong" things in life, all of the things that it's easy to complain about but, at first glance, impossible to do anything about.

Corruption in politics.
A bad economy.
Conspiracy theories. (Heh)

So, even if such things are true, should we focus on them more than the positive things in life? Things that might lead to a better life and an escape from the cycle of poverty and depression?

Damon

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: damonjc

I really like where you're going with this -- in terms of helping people rise above their circumstances -- but I don't think it's as simple as just looking on the bright side of things. There are real issues and circumstances that poor people must contend with that their wealthier counterparts don't.

If a rich person gets a flat tire, buying a new tire -- or even a new set of tires -- isn't really an issue. Maybe an inconvenience, but nothing life shattering. For a poor person, it's a living nightmare. Not only do they have to find that money somewhere, until they do (and even after they do), it causes a host of other issues -- how to get to work to pay for it, how to get to the market to feed your kids, and on and on. They don't just have to pay for the tires, they have to pay for taxis or busses or something in the meantime. In order to pay for that tire (or more likely a whole new set, since it's not smart to have one new tire with three old tires), whatever they do, it will have longterm repercussions... Which bill do they put off paying for... and then have to pay an additional late charge? What can they cut off the grocery shopping list -- but still feed their kids halfway nutritiously? How long can the parents go hungry in order to feed the kids?

For poor people, all day every day is just about surviving... about muddling through... figuring out how to take care of basic needs... sometimes knowing you have to take a hit (or two or three) just to keep your head above water but with no chance of actually getting to shore... too often having no good options, and just picking the best available option... at some point you're happy if you're just taking two steps forward and one step back -- because taking one step forward and two steps back is even worse.

And when poor people are wronged... cheated... totally screwed by others... what recourse do they have? They don't have the money to hire an attorney and bring legal action. They may not even know what legal recourse and/or remedies are available to them. Even if they could raise enough for a retainer fee, they can't afford the ongoing fees as the one with big pockets drowns them in motions and paperwork (all of which cost even more to respond to), as they drag it out ad infinitum.

Depressing? You bet. Soul crushing? Hell yes.
edit on 13-7-2016 by Boadicea because: corrected "wrong" to "wronged"

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
you`re correct, poverty is about much more than just not having enough money.
It destroys your motivation,it destroys your hopes for a better future,it destroys your self esteem, it causes a whole host of mental problems.
getting a job and making money doesn`t cure any of those problems,in fact getting a job adds a few problems of it`s own,such as the anxiety of knowing that no job is secure and you could loose your job at anytime and find yourself right back in the hell hole of poverty,without any notice.
edit on 13-7-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: BoadiceaI totally agree with you. But I think a more important fact that makes depression more deeper and more pervasive is (who do you want to put in the frame, rich people, people better off ) those people who repeatedly call poorer people or people suffering from deprssion scrounger, wasters and any other derogatory words you can think of.
This has a very negative affect and even makes the people concerned more useless, more depressed and even suicidal.
Yet they even say "pull yourself together, it's you that's causing your problem, look at Jimmy over there he was like you but he worked himself out of it and now has a firm employing 100 people".
This may sound crass but I wish depression were a desease you could give some-one so all these people that denegrate give THEM a dose and then say"pull yourself together" and see how they get on with it.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

But I think a more important fact that makes depression more deeper and more pervasive is (who do you want to put in the frame, rich people, people better off ) those people who repeatedly call poorer people or people suffering from deprssion scrounger, wasters and any other derogatory words you can think of.

Yes, definitely, and I'm so glad you added that.

Kicking folks while they're down... adding insult to injury... twisting the knife in the back... and usually just to make that person feel better about themselves.

It's a crying shame.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Kicking folks while they're down... adding insult to injury... twisting the knife in the back... and usually just to make that person feel better about themselves.

doesn't even work unless they think night is day

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

doesn't even work unless they think night is day

Nope, it doesn't work... doesn't serve any practical or productive effort at all.

But I've been pretty surprised by the things that some people think despite all apparent evidence to the contrary!

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

burgers are indeed a surprising bunch, or as the poet and composer Georges Brassens said "les croquants, ça tombe des nues"

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Poverty is a situation where a human struggle real hard to have a miserable meal that leads to unhealthy conditions like depression or any other disease, everyone hates poverty, but very few takes steps to help people overcome poverty. My brother appreciates organizations like mission humanitaire who work for human welfare and had also asked me to look at these guys websites. I am personally very impressed by watching their video posted on their site and have decided to join them on their humanitarian trip.

new topics

top topics

join