It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slovenian Designer Unveils Human Leather Goods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Central Saint Martins student Tina Gorjanc, originally from Slovenia, has proposed a conceptual range of leather accessories produced with skin grown from late fashion designer Alexander McQueen's DNA.

The project is designed to make us aware that in legal terms we don't have full ownership of our bodily tissues — Gorjanc filed a patent application in May 2016, ensuring she was allowed to use the material made from McQueen's genetic information.

Slovenian Designer Unveils Human Leather Goods

Apparently, this project is still in the conceptual stage, so Gorjanc, the designer in question, has not yet cultivated skin tissues using human DNA or used that skin to create leather products. It is both disgusting and frightening that someone was able to file a patent for products created from the DNA of another person - a person who is, in this case, deceased.

It's an interesting project, but I don't know how many people will be able to look past the designer's medium - which is, let's face it, human skin - and see her larger point.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

The project is designed to make us aware that in legal terms we don't have full ownership of our bodily tissues

To be honest I would say "The project is designed to make us aware of Tina"

Some people do all kind of weird stuff to get their 15 minutes

ETA: having said that I would not mind to have a necronomicon
edit on 12-7-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: PhloydPhan

The nazi's made things out of human skin too:lamp shades,book covers,gloves...
It was wrong then and it still should be.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

The nazi's made things out of human skin too:lamp shades,book covers,gloves...
It was wrong then and it still should be.

Back then the skin came from a living person. It's less of an issue when the skin is grown in a lab and no one is killed for it. This designers point is that a persons DNA can be used to grow body tissue without their permission.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

I've seen 2 of those lampshades while on a tour of Hearstle Castle in Ca. Very obviously human skin and creepy, IMO.

Wm. R. Hearst was more than just a newspaper mogul...

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Gave me a laugh, regardless.

I know a guy who wants to own a ww2 vw "thing", complete with what he calls "jew leather"- oddly enough he's a pretty sensible guy.

Humanity should probably embrace its remnants anyways, this religious nonsense is getting old.
Bodies.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Soylent Green anyone?? 😲 Awk!

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I think the point she is trying to make is a good one. Interesting that we can use someone's dna for this purpose unhindered.

It's a crudely free project and I don't see why we should be disgusted by it just because it's human dna. If it was cow or alligator, we would say it was a great step forward in alleviating animal cruelty.

Is a skin cell sentient? I don't think so.

Is it wrong that we couldn't stop our personal dna being used to create consumer items...possibly not...but it certainly feels weird!

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Bleh. Bleck. Eww.

Sorry lady. Not into it. The creep factor is waaaay too much.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Would be nice if the same skin process could be used for animal skins designer bags, shoes, etc.

May possibly see attention seeking celebs making these popular. Lady GaGa in a designer skin dress.

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: mamabeth

I've seen 2 of those lampshades while on a tour of Hearstle Castle in Ca. Very obviously human skin and creepy, IMO.

Wm. R. Hearst was more than just a newspaper mogul...

Oh, yes he was more than just that he was a major player in propaganda.

The lamps should be laid to rest if that's in fact what they are. The said ones by Ilse Koch were claimed to be goat skin. Can only hope these are the same.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   
There is a company in the UK that sells human leather items.
HumanLeather

People bequeath their skin to the company prior to death.

But it costs like $15,000 for a wallet.

Much cheaper to just make your own, hooker parts work pretty well.
edit on 13-7-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

They were and are human flesh. Ive raised and processed goats.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The Mutter Museum in Philadelphia has a number of human leather objects in their collections. I remember seeing numerous books bound in human leather and a pair of shoes made from human sourced leather. That collection was a doctor's belongings, if I remember correctly.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Ok, I went down the hole a bit and found an interesting story about a murderer in New Jersey that ended up hung and skinned. His hide was transformed into wallets.
The story is here, at WeirdNJ.com
There are photos of a wallet, his death mask and there is a video.
Have happy fun.

After the good doctors had completed their efforts to advance medical science, a death mask likeness of Le Blanc’s face was cast in plaster. Then it was time to carve him up. Le Blanc’s skin was peeled off and dispatched to the Atno Tannery on Washington Street to be fashioned into a variety of “charming little keepsakes.” A large number of wallets, purses, lampshades and book jackets were produced from the hair follicle studded hide. Strips of skin were sold on the streets, each one personally signed by the honorable Sheriff Ludlow to verify its authenticity. These gruesome little souvenirs reportedly found their way into many a respectable Morristown home, where, it is said, many still remain to this day.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: dreamingawake

They were and are human flesh. Ive raised and processed goats.

Regarding Hearst he was a bigger POS then known.

Pretty sad those should be laid to rest.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
DNA skin matters.

new topics

top topics

join