It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Black Panther Party says to carry arms in Cleveland if legal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The New Black Panther Party says it will have members carry guns at the Republican Convention.

NBPP chairman Hashim Nzinga says so and cites Ohio is an open carry state.

He wants 2nd Amendment rights and says opposing groups might become a threat to the NBPP and their members.

Well this could get out of hand for the police and local authorities in Cleveland.

New Black Panther Party says to carry arms in Cleveland if legal

The New Black Panther Party, a "black power" movement, will carry firearms for self-defense during demonstrations in Cleveland ahead of next week's Republican convention if allowed under Ohio law, the group's chairman said.

The plan by the group could add to security headaches for the Ohio city after last week's killing of five police officers in Dallas by a U.S. army veteran who had been drawn to black separatist ideology, including on Facebook, before hatching his plan to target white police officers.

Several other groups, including some supporters of presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, have said they will carry weapons in Cleveland, leading to concerns about rival groups being armed in close proximity.

"If it is an open state to carry, we will exercise our second amendment rights because there are other groups threatening to be there that are threatening to do harm to us," Hashim Nzinga, chairman of the New Black Panther Party, told Reuters in an interview.

"If that state allows us to bear arms, the Panthers and the others who can legally bear arms will bear arms."

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
If they aren't actively threatening to shoot anyone let them carry arms.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Policing their own hoods. Another idea is to have police of the same ethnicity in their precinct.

Who better understands the hood than people that grew up there?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Well he can say whatever he wants but he and his group will not be allowed to have weapons inside or anywhere near the RNC. Even conservatives are made they can't bring their guns.

How dumb, mixing guns and politics.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Pssst.. You may not know this but not all black people live in hoods.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I've wondered about this scenario for a while now.
Americans are ok with Joshua carrying an AR-15
at the local mall in in Boise Idaho but will that
same trust transfer to to a mall in Chicago or Houston
when carried by a minority ?

It shouldn't be a problem but it will.
Especially if we allow fictitious
Joshua to be a member of a
heritage group or militia.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Ohio’s open-carry laws mean that those who legally own guns can take them into the 1.7-square-mile area where many of the events and protests connected to the Republican convention will be held next week. Beginning Sunday, protesters are expected to flood into the city, with causes ranging from white supremacy to Palestinian rights.

Source

There will be LOTS of guns. Carried by opposing political teams... The Oath Keepers will be carrying, too. I suspect people will die and I wouldn't want to be anywhere NEAR Cleveland. I agree it's completely foolish to show up at a political convention armed... As much as we get into it on here, and our tempers flare, it's just not a good idea to carry a gun to a political rally.

Having said that, open carry is the law in the state. Laws should apply equally to all. Even black people, OP.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

For some reason the same people who are normally freaking out about "thur gonna takee err gunsss" is also upset about black people bringing out their guns. The irony is palpable.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Yep.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The Second Amendment applies to everyone. They want to open carry? Good for them.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
They have every right.

Not sure how wise it is to do so, considering what happened to at least one black man who asserted his right in Dallas, but they have the right.
edit on 7/12/2016 by ~Lucidity because: you may want to take your star back because I edited.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
As long as they are legally carrying, fine by me. Have a CCL if you are going to conceal carry, fine by me. Don't break the law while carrying and prove you are responsible citizens.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
What is your opinion, xuenchen?

Should members of the New Black Panther Party be able to open carry if legal for them to do so?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Secret Service says otherwise. No guns at the DNC and RNC.

Guns and politics don't mix. No one should be armed, protesters or supporters and that's because someone will get shot, most likely.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

For some reason the same people who are normally freaking out about "thur gonna takee err gunsss" is also upset about black people bringing out their guns. The irony is palpable.

The 2nd amendment doesn't really cover provocatively packing, openly at "opposition" political party meetings. Maybe if they were protesting the government but this is a political party convention.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The police dep't. should be reflective of the people they serve. If the community is 40% black then the PD should be 40% black; 30% Filipino-30% Filipino. Now in some cultures, they 'may' have a dislike of the police, so when dealing with these folks it would behoove the cop to be cognizant of this fact and not do anything to show apathy to their culture. i.e. acknowledging the senior male when dealing with certain Asian cultures..I remember 'some' other cops would get bent when they would hear me tell folks "I work for You" and I'd call them "Madam" and "Sir".

I think people forget that not everyone has contact with the police, so when that contact is made, well, anybody can be an arsehole.. When folks would YELL in My face I'd make sure I whispered, not to piss them off but nothing has ever been solved by YELLING, NOTHING!!!

I've been retired now for 12 years and I still miss 'TheJob'. I never had a citizen complaint and that is very rare in the area in which I patrolled and I'm more proud of that then the 29 commendations.

namaste

•• Proud member of LEAP•Law Enforcement Against Prohibition.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This should get new gun control measures passed quickly.

It did when the original Black Panthers were arming themselves:

The Mulford Act was a 1967 California bill that repealed a law allowing public carrying of loaded firearms. Named after Republican assemblyman Don Mulford, the bill was crafted in response to members of the Black Panther Party who were conducting armed patrols of Oakland neighborhoods while they were conducting what would later be termed copwatching.

Wikipedia

So black people were arming themselves and "cop watching" and ended up getting open carry banned in California. That doesn't sound racially motivated to me...

If a bunch of white guys started arming themselves and say, took over a wildlife refuge in Oregon and occupied it for weeks ... I wonder if they'd ban public open carry of weapons? Oh. Wait.
edit on 12-7-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
My Prediction:
There will be a lot of legal firearms at the event. Those that are legally carrying will not instigate or be the first to discharge their firearm. However, there will be illegally carried firearms there as well. There will be one incident begun by someone illegally carrying a firearm. The legal carry citizens will NOT, I repeat NOT go all wild west in response. There will be a measured response by one or more, which does not preclude the legal discharge of a firearm in self-defense.

NOTE: The original instigator will be found to be a registered Democrat.

Outcome:
- The truth will be suppressed, that the legal carry citizens were not responsible for the situation
- The media will report is as a wild shootout
- The Politicos will use this to renew the calls for more gun control measures

Let us review this prediction post-event and I will respond based upon the actual events, even if it includes some form of apology for being wrong.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
As a 2nd amendment supporter, I like to see people exercise their right in a responsible manner.

What I do not like is when people exercise that right in a way that is meant to be a political statement in and of itself and not as a form of self-defense.

I'm not fond of this idea, openly carrying a firearm at a political rally, which can have high emotions, as much as I am not fond of some redneck openly carrying an AR in to the local Applebees.

In my personal opinion, that is not a responsible exercise of the right to bear arms.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join