It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this game all about?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I have seen things on the news over this new Pokémon game, what is this game about? it seems to be very popular and distracts a lot of people, the little story I brought with me is alittle humorous. I bet the news anchor really feels embarrassed haha

Link

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ware2010

My daughter, her boyfriend and even my wife are playing this game. They get excited whenever they find a virtual Pokemon. They even drive around and go to special spots to collect these things.

I have no idea why and frankly I don't want to know, but they do have to walk to 'hatch' these things apparently so at least they are getting exercise.

edit on 2016/7/12 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Tin Foil hat explanation - it could be a Government Psyop

Regular explanation: the game is about "finding" these creatures (known as Pokemon) with the app, and then "catching them" and collecting them.

Different Pokemon reveal themselves depending on time of day and location - here is an article that describes it more

www.vox.com...
edit on 12-7-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Social engineering. Any app or game promoted on the MSM falls into that category. Looks like a giant data grab or audit of complacent and/or herd mentality subscribers. Too many permissions must be consented to, lacking a legitimate reason to allow companies with ties to the government to have access to such specific personal data.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore
thanks, that helped alittle more, I didn't realize it was this popular tho, and I only heard of it yesterday

It’s so popular that it’s on the verge of overtaking Twitter in terms of daily active users on Android.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Basically harmless as far as I can tell, I read the TOS and the usage on the play device (wacky amounts of access to hardware, not so much store data but yeah hardware) My kids love it, it gets em running around and getting some exercise. To that end, I see very little harm in it. (By the way with the robberies and all, I ain't stupid they are kids we go with em)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
They are very popular games here in the uk, I've played them a few times (quite addictive) although i got bored and went back to playing Xbox, there are many dvd's and tv episodes.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I just finished a thread compiling what I believe to be behind it.

The company that made it, it's CEO first ran Keyhole, a tribute to the old spy satellite with the same nickname. His first company was seeded by a CIA VC group. Google bought them out, he then formed Niantic which made Ingress, and then Pokemon Go.

This all went on while the DMA became NGA and tookoever CIO DDPO NPIC and then took on the best elements of the DARO NRO DIA CIA related to the task.

All explained in this thread.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
It's the mark of the beast that was promised...

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Based on the premise of bug catching — a popular hobby in Japan, where the games originated — the big goal in the Pokémon games, from the original Pokémon Red and Blue to the upcoming Pokémon Sun and Moon, is to collect all of these virtual creatures.

"Its a bug hunt." --Corporal Hicks, Aliens

There was a time when they hid actual money around, remember? Then there was those contests were they hid hundred thousand dollar prize awards under bottle caps of Soda.

Now people go looking for virtual reality characters.

edit on 12-7-2016 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Tin Foil hat explanation - it could be a Government Psyop

It's not a psyop, it's a GEOINT/IMINT=INTOP. Geospatial intelligence and imagery intelligence gathering operation.
edit on 12-7-2016 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Its a combination of Geocashing, and the pokemon game...

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho
I must admit, I get alitle lost when there are a lot of acronyms, especially one right after the other haha

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I looked at some stories on it.

Basic gist is that it's a free app that hooks your GPS up and makes you part of a altered reality game. The GPS shows you were certain marked sports are that are usually local landmarks like churches and fountains and the like, and you cruise within their range and they spit out objects you can use like capture balls. Then the rest of the time you can walk around scanning everywhere else for using your phone. They show up on the phone screen and you can "catch" them.

So, yes, it does get you outside walking around. You can also get eggs from the spots which take so many miles walked to hatch them.

Then you can take your monsters to local gym spots which are also marked and they fight. That's the competitive bit. The best monster at each spot is always shown.

Most people are just having fun walking around finding monsters everywhere and taking silly screen shots of the wacky places their phones show the monsters to be at the moment.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

The part I don't like is having to give the company access to all your Google accounts and information contained therein.

The only thing about that I can handle is that I don't use Gmail at all, so I can set up a Gmail dummy account if I decided to sign up for it ever.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Basically like this google aprils fool joke from 2014

+ in game real money purchases

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Not a pay to win model though.
edit on 12-7-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ware2010
I have seen things on the news over this new Pokémon game, what is this game about? it seems to be very popular and distracts a lot of people, the little story I brought with me is alittle humorous. I bet the news anchor really feels embarrassed haha

Link

data mining/social conditioning disguised as freemium mobile gaming. im going to stick with my nintendo ds because there is absolutely nothing wrong with playing pokemon the classic way and i am not dedicating my savings to mobile data just because "everyone else is doing it". there have already been several examples of people blindly reacting to cues from their phone and getting into uncomfortable or dangerous situations as a result. no thank you.
edit on 12-7-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Alright... This got me curious...

Just downloaded the game after a bit of fiddling... apparently its not available in Canada yet...

I don't know much about Pokemon, but i've played the card game and it was good...

I know this involves Augmented reality... and that is a pretty wicked concept...

I've played a few games that use it...

We shall see how it works out

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
PokemonGo is the greatest thing to happen for kids health in the US since...well, since forever (since its been on a downward spiral for 3 generations).

I wish i had time to play. My kids were in the pokemon generation, so I know a ton about it and like it quite a bit.

<<   2 >>

join