It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Don't Want Cops To Shoot You, Don't Resist Arrest

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I just love ‘statistics’ thrown around in these cases.
Only 410 ‘arrests’ were lethal? That’s 8.2 deaths per state, for the year where a cop killed the person they were ‘arresting.’ You don’t think that’s high?
Was Philando Castile ‘arrested’? Are those numbers only including actual arrests, or does it include ‘casual contact with law enforcement’?

More black people are killed by black people than police officers… True. But it’s a little dishonest. Why?
Because police officers aren’t really supposed to kill anyone. They do, and we allow it, but they’re not supposed to. Black on black crime does happen. Mostly, these are crimes. Police aren’t supposed to be committing crimes, are they? So what we’re saying here is, “there are less people killed by police than by criminals.” One would hope so.

There is no capital punishment for being in a bad mood, talking back, running away, flexing your rights (perceived or real), smoking a cigarette, having your pants low, or any number of ‘original’ offenses that people can, and have been killed for. Unfortunately, the officers who killed these people ALWAYS have a ‘valid’ excuse (normally “he looked like he was going for my gun,” “I was afraid for my life..” etc.), and ALWAYS get some sort of paid administrative leave while legal sorts out the best way to vilify the victim.

We see lots of videos these days. How many do we see where the officers approach in a friendly, courteous, respectful, honest and cooperative manner?
Very few. We do see a lot of hot headed exchanges. It takes two to de-escalate a situation. However, the onus is on the officers.
How many videos do we see where the officers have a hand on their gun? We get it, they are afraid for their lives. Every time? Are they always so jumpy?
They might want to make it home at the end of the shift, but the public also have that right.

The cops are allowed to lie to you. Simple as that. You are not allowed to lie to them.
Courteous, respectful, honest? It’s a two way street.

The cops don’t have to protect you if they fear for their life. They always seem to fear for their life. Where does that leave you?

Bottom line, sure, don’t give them a reason to shoot you. But they should also not have shooting you so high on their options.

Why are Americans so afraid of other Americans? Because that’s what they’ve grown accustomed to. Sad, isn’t it?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

America..better than Syria

As for the concept of complying..I'm sure it's a good idea but people are clipped whether they comply or not sometimes, cops break into peoples homes and toss gernades into crib's..but it's all good and excused. Some cop's like to slap the piss out of people due to a fragile ego.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Oh come the hell on now. The first training they get at the academy seems to be to screaming 'stop resisting' while making an arrest whether the person actually is resisting and attenpting to break for or whether it is 5 officers taking on a prone CPR training doll. It is good advice.

But the police also often take you lying there writhing from electrocution and dying and 'resisting.'

Ive been there honestly. Had the knee in my back and repeated blows and slams whilst not moving. Have also had the firearm pointed at me and i dropped to my stomach instantly with my hands on my head and no roughness occurred whatsoever. It goes both ways. It pretty much depends on how much their adrenaline is flowing.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: SaturnFX

Wow...be happy as chief peasant...that's all you are.
living peasant than a dead rebel...or a armchair hero as you are (given you aren't dead yet due to your super awesome anti-the man stance).

which are you then? soon to be dead or just full of gas? you aren't dead...so gonna go with keyboard warrior.

problem is, there may be some mentally ill kid reading your nonsense and will end up attacking a cop just trying to do his job, because your ideas on how to commit suicide by cop veiled as some heroic stance will be taken seriously.

no..fighting a cop is moronic and anyone suggesting to resist and fight police instead of getting arrested needs to...have a visit.

keep smashing them keys though..thats soo brave.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaticusMaximus

The guy is right; white cops killing black males is nothing compared to black males killing black males. Why the deflection? Is the visage when looking into the mirror that hideous?

Yeah, it's called reverse-racism. We all expect white men to be somehow better than black men. So, when a white guy shoots a black guy, we're all in shock. The fact is, there's no difference between white and black. They are all the same.

The only reason that more blacks are killed by blacks than by whites, is because of basic statistics: black men encounter more black men than white men in their daily routine.

edit on 12-7-2016 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest

they disagree because the white cops always get off

They do disagree
and we bury them because of this disagreement.
then police gotta go get quoted saying the stuff in ops.

I get annoyed when we see a video come out of some poor schmuck resisting and getting shot. yeah, cops suck when they shoot someone they could simply taze, or at least non lethally shoot, but the resisting in the first place got fallable humans overreacting..dead people dont complain about overreactive cops..they are just dead.

Accept the crap, then sort it out at the station, with a lawyer, defender, yourself, and have your day in court..either defending yourself, or prosecuting for false arrest.
thats better than a casket.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH
Yeah, it's called reverse-racism.

naa, no such thing as reverse racism, only racism. reverse racism would be...like...equality or something.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: AMPTAH
Yeah, it's called reverse-racism.

naa, no such thing as reverse racism, only racism. reverse racism would be...like...equality or something.

There is such a thing as reverse-racism.

You see, racism generally puts the other race down.

Reverse-racism generally puts the other race up.

Thinking that someone is better than you because they are a different race, and treating them with more respect than they really deserve, that's reverse-racism.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Until it happens to you and yours. Fine continue to be insensitive wishing the best to you and others who think this way but you're not immune to it ever happening.

RIP... I mean poop happens.

Oh, no, neve4rmind..for you, if you so much as even get pulled over for a speeding infraction, you should totally 100% pull out a pistol and start shooting.
lemme know how that goes.

The point is "pointing a pistol"(NOT MY example) at an officer is not the only way for a rogue cop to shoot someone. NOPE, I would never do that, though that doesn't mean someone that someone knows might end just being suicidal, in a car moving slowly away from officers while nodding off on drugs-the other officer says don't shoot her as they cackle while shooting a women's face off, even a mistaken car or home walked into by officers may be the victim of just being in the wrong place at the wrong time with a #ed off trigger happy officer.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

Not arguing but this might be worth a read for anyone interested in the topic.

"Reverse racism is a myth because it tries to ignore the fundamental question of who holds more power/privilege between the individuals/groups involved. The myth of reverse racism assumes that racism occurs on a so-called level playing field (which is another myth). The charge by white people that they can be the targets of racism is a defensive reaction."

Tim Wise's article, A Look At The Myth Of Reverse Racism provides specific examples that explain how and why "reverse racism'"is a myth.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Wow...be happy as chief peasant...that's all you are.
living peasant than a dead rebel...or a armchair hero as you are (given you aren't dead yet due to your super awesome anti-the man stance).

which are you then? soon to be dead or just full of gas? you aren't dead...so gonna go with keyboard warrior.

problem is, there may be some mentally ill kid reading your nonsense and will end up attacking a cop just trying to do his job, because your ideas on how to commit suicide by cop veiled as some heroic stance will be taken seriously.

no..fighting a cop is moronic and anyone suggesting to resist and fight police instead of getting arrested needs to...have a visit.

keep smashing them keys though..thats soo brave.

Huh, hypocritical much ("you should totally 100% pull out a pistol and start shooting")? When I didn't even say that.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV
a reply to: AMPTAH

Not arguing but this might be worth a read for anyone interested in the topic.

"Reverse racism is a myth because it tries to ignore the fundamental question of who holds more power/privilege between the individuals/groups involved. The myth of reverse racism assumes that racism occurs on a so-called level playing field (which is another myth). The charge by white people that they can be the targets of racism is a defensive reaction."

Tim Wise's article, A Look At The Myth Of Reverse Racism provides specific examples that explain how and why "reverse racism'"is a myth.

Time Wise is a moron.

rac·ism
ˈrāˌsizəm/Submit
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Racism doesn't say any specific color or classification of power. its simply a viewpoint of superiority.
he is talking out his butt. anyone who starts discussing how racism requires priveliege and power and potatoes and etc etc are just making crap up based on some actual racists belief that you can be ugly to whitey without having to feel like human sewage in doing so...no..it doesn't work like that..and those people are human sewage.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
So if I'm being unlawfully assaulted and arrested OP believes I should rollover or be shot on sight? U know that's not the only option they have right, you know the big heavy belt thingy right? multiple weapons attached like spray, taser, batons etc..
edit on 12-7-2016 by ssenerawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV
Great article from John Gibbs of the Federalist. I often feel the same when I hear about violence and shootings. I've never had a bad run in with an officer, because I was taught to be cool and agreeable.

"Can you believe we’ve gone from honorable causes like fighting for the right of black people to attend college to defending black criminals who foolishly mouth off against, run away from, and fight with the police; police who are putting their lives on the line to protect us from criminals?"

"The fact is, the police are not shooting black men like me. Why? Because I am not a criminal, and when the police stop me, I politely do what they say, and they leave me alone. I do not run away, fight back, or mouth off. It’s really pretty simple."

"...despite the prevailing atmosphere of hysteria, I’m not afraid of being killed by the police. Quite the contrary: sadly, the data shows I’m much more likely to be victimized by a fellow black man than by a white police officer."

If You Don't Want Cops To Shoot You, Don't Resist Arrest

-

I've also been thinking about this today. I've been wondering if some of these shooting victims were not taught to remain cool when dealing with police, and to not fight them. I don't understand what their thought processes are.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: paperdoll
I don't understand what their thought processes are.

Why do free men resist tyranny?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I honestly feel like sometimes the cops are looking to start trouble. Looking for someone to get mouthy so to speak. I once got pulled over and was extremely polite to the officer (tbh sometimes I don't always act as politely as I can when being pulled over) but in this instance I was Extremely polite. The officer then gave me my ticket and asked sternly and imo rudely do you have a problem ma'am? I was still polite but why ask if I had a problem if I wasn't giving him flack. I think he was TRYING to get a rise out of me.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: concerned190
I think he was TRYING to get a rise out of me.

Remember, the cop gets promotions and salary increases by racking up a record of arrests.

Therefore cops are under pressure to make you give them a reason to arrest.

Every encounter with the civilians is an opportunity.

If the cop doesn't get anything out of these encounters, he goes home empty handed that day.

After experiencing many "unfruitful encounters" the cop learns that he needs to be more aggressive with the civilians if he's to go home with a productive day.

They learn on the job, what they need to do, to improve their lot in life.

Pick on the poor, the weak, the disadvantaged, because those civilians can't fight back, can't afford lawyers, and the arrests will most likely result in successful convictions. That's why the poor end up in jail.

The street cop is a bottom feeder. When they advance to FBI, they start going after bigger fish.

The best thing for the civilian is to stay out of the cop's way. If encounter is unavoidable, then the more aggressive the cop becomes, the more pleasant you become, give him no quarter. Remember, he's just trying to rattle you, to make that opportunity for himself.

It's unfortunate, but the society has set things up this way.

We reward the cop for that aggression, then we blame him for police brutality.

It's the system.

When all cops are required to wear body cameras, things will change a lot.

Then we can reward cops for their civility in encounters with the public, because we'll have the evidence on tape to use to measure performance, instead of the statistics of just arrests.

Besides, the cops don't want to be seen to be brutal by their bosses, they only do this when they think nobody is looking. That's why they try to confiscate cameras.

The camera eye is in conflict with their promotion strategy.

The future looks bright, though. Technology will solve all these issues.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox

This is a good example of society's debate skills trending heavily towards nothing more than a picture book.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ssenerawa
So if I'm being unlawfully assaulted and arrested OP believes I should rollover or be shot on sight? U know that's not the only option they have right, you know the big heavy belt thingy right? multiple weapons attached like spray, taser, batons etc..

Pretty much. Just do whatever they say and don't argue. Try to get on their good side. I've seen a few cops go completely mental at questioning them at all. Anything to do with rights or you can't do that is like a red flag to a bull to some of them. Some cops clearly have a gestapo dictator type MO and actually enjoy standing over people. Or course if other people are around or a camera is rolling they can be polite as punch, late at night alone watch out they can and sometimes do whatever they feel like.

These days a lot of people have cameras on their phones so some cops are finding it more difficult to make up BS stories and do as they please, such as executing people on the streets. With no camera you usually just end up with the cop version which of course shows them as heroes...

Of course white guys in suits writing articles probably have little idea what it's really like on the streets. Go round as a black guy in a tracksuit for a while and see how nice and helpful the police are then... That's just how it is.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join