It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Contest Stuff - Writers Required

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 06:25 PM
I did have another one, based around the 4 pictures: Present the user with a single image - this could be user created, something that exists in the real world, something digital - The story has to take place inside that photograph.

Another variant that might prove to be interesting is a collaboration between the artists and writers on here: The writer creates a story, and the artist creates a series of photos or a collage to represent the story.

I do both with some of my other tales outside of here - Sometimes my story is written after drawing the photo, sometimes the writing inspires me to draw the photo

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 04:49 AM
Just to add, about the idea of writing in an established authors style. You would have to take into account that not everyone reads the same things.

Even if it was completely open, and each contestant could choose any author. It might be hard to judge if you have never read said author. Even the most famous well known writers and stories, will have people that never read them. So it might be hard to tell if it is a proper pastiche or not.

On the other hand. I could just be overly thinking this through.

It would be fun.

edit on 14-7-2016 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:38 PM
a reply to: karmicecstasy

It would give us a chance to learn about other styles, the trends in other time periods, etc. to find ones we like but hadn't run across, and then resources to "read more" of that style.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:42 PM
The one contemporary author I truly admire and envy in terms of style, subject matter, and humor is Bill Bryson.

I want to write like he does. Could we do threads where we try our hand at various different authors?

Write like Twain

Write like Plato

?? Just an idea.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 02:55 PM
We've been talking about words and the English language on Buzzy's thread in General Chit Chat. 'Tis where this idea comes from...

Idioms. Given a choice (like two groups of three, pick one from each) use them in a story.

People mis-apply idioms leading to wonderful confusion! And they do not even have to be English.

As far as poetry goes, there will need to be either some guidelines or a types chosen. How could you compare Allan Ginsberg's Howl to a Villanelle to a haiku all in the same contest? So you might consider rotating through free form, limericks, haiku, Villanelle, Sonnet, etc. Imagine the difficulty of doing Iambic pentameter! Hum...

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:45 PM
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I agree and think it would be fun. It is the logistics that I am concerned about. If people have not read the author or the style. Then the contest would be limited to those who have. Either that or people would have to go out and acquire and read a book that matches the author and style.

Which is not a bad thing. It just might limit the amount of people willing to participate.

To make it easier, maybe an author/authors can be picked, who have a short story that is in the public domain. Something with its copyright expired or that is published under a creative commons license and freely available. This way a link can be posted to the story. Making it easier and less time consuming to familiarize oneself with the style.

Or, like I have already admitted, I can just be thinking too hard about all this.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:54 PM
What about people submitting character sketches and/or brief scenario/plot sketches and writers pick a character and scenario to write their stories from. Scoring could include points for story, how often a character is used, and how often a scenario is used, so it benefits a person to enter in all three categories.

Needless to say, you cannot use your own character and scenario.
edit on 14-7-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 10:15 PM
One thing I do when I have writer's block is to start with someone else's story, just copying it. At some point I feel compelled to diverge from the original and take it in my own direction. That could be fun. Pick a page from a novel, first page, first of a chapter, or just one at random. Everyone starts from the same page, and see where they end up. It could be interesting, and the topics are as varied as there are novels to choose from.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 02:47 AM
a reply to: Vroomfondel

I like that idea a lot!!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:29 AM
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I have a great idea for a contest, unless it has already been done before I came along, Super Heroes and their origins. Create a short story about the version of a Super Hero from the perspective of ME and how I came to BE. Has to be completely original. It can not duplicate any version of known Super Heroes. There can be some similarities for super powers, but the more original the better.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:05 PM
a reply to: forthelove

Super Hero from the perspective of ME and how I came to BE.

We did Super Heroes already. By ME do you mean Mandela Effect? That might be interesting.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 05:22 AM
Did any of the suggestions make the grade?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>