It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never Before Seen Sea Creatures Filmed in World's Deepest Abyss

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This article is about new discoveries being made in the Marianna Trench in the Pacific. The Marianna Trench is the deepest place on Earth extending down to about 11km however researchers are only using equipment to see down to 6km and are finding life forms they say have never been seen before.

“Every time we make a dive, we see something new. It’s mind-boggling,” says Patricia Fryer at the University of Hawaii.
She says the amount of new information being gathered is astounding, and many of the discoveries have stumped experts.
“They’re seeing fish which seem to be a cross-between an eel and a lizard fish,” says Fryer. “When they zoom in to look more closely they’re like ‘nope, that’s not like any of the ones we know’.”

Despite this instant scientific expertise and the world wide web at their fingers, there have been several moments during the expedition when “the whole science party is dead silent because no one has any idea what we’re looking at”, wrote Diva Amon, of the University of Hawaii at Manoa, on the expedition’s blog recently. Examples of such mysteries the deep sea has thrown at scientists during the first leg of the expedition include fields of fluffy and “strange little spheres” covering the sea floor (shown above) and in places forming mounds, “strange feathery, wispy things” attached to rocks (shown below), and “strange green stringy things” attached to corals. “There was speculation that these are colonies of hydroids or bryozoans, but that isn’t saying much, as those are two totally different phyla (Cnidaria or Bryozoa),” wrote Amon about the wispy things. “To put that into context, it’s as bad as confusing a monkey (Chordata) with a cockroach (Arthropoda)!”

Pretty cool, however, I was under the assumption that we went to the bottom of the Trench already; 11km down. I guess not. There's still so much to be discovered out there; especially, in the oceans. Who's excited at these new discoveries in the Marianna Trench? What says ATS?

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Waiting for a hidden civilization to pop out of nowhere ;D. Ocean is a big, deep place, and we don't know much about it. Who know's what amazing things could be down there!
edit on 12-7-2016 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Very awesome stuff, it's like an alien world...

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Waiting for photos of USO bases.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

Oh yeah, I'm sure "they" are going to let that on to the web any day now.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Thanks for posting .. I will add the short Video from your link above.. It is only just over 1m..

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Here is the NOAA Ocean Explorere website where you can watch live explorations of the Marianas Trench (you will need to take into account the time zone differences):
oceanexplorer.noaa.gov...

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

My favorite is the Acorn Worm. What a vibrant purple (and cool name)
Thank you for sharing LostBook

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Wonderful!

These are things we should be investing more into, we want to find unknown life in space...

There are unknown amounts of unknown life in the water!
It's my honest opinion, we should know our planet inside and out, before worrying and spending BILLIONS on space junk to probe soil we won't touch or walk on, for generations to come.

Give attention and investment in what is LIVING, our home planet is alive with abundance of life. We don't know everything there is to know of mother earth while casting destruction on her, and wishing to colonize on another planet..

It's kind of sad in a metaphysical way when you think about it. The planet that gives and gives without wanting anything back, has always birthed and nurtured uncountable creatures and plants, including our own species.

The species that is intelligent enough to comprehend and advance within the reality, treats it's mother world like a garbage can, and dreams of leaving.

This world is the most beautiful one we will ever find. With more abundant life then we will ever find. The perfect condition for humanity to live and Co exist. To advance and mature, to then reach our destiny as a space venturing species!

We should have respect with our mother earth and want to establish that natural connection! Learn everything about her before venturing and investing slave labor money (tax payer $) on dead planets/moons.

A semi rant regarding the ignorance of humanity and their mother planet. It does sadden me that everything is here, yet most don't care or are ignorant to the planet that has carried their species throughout time.

Wonderful video in the link, the jellyfish creature at the end was awesome!

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
Wonderful!

These are things we should be investing more into, we want to find unknown life in space...

There are unknown amounts of unknown life in the water!
It's my honest opinion, we should know our planet inside and out, before worrying and spending BILLIONS on space junk to probe soil we won't touch or walk on, for generations to come.

Give attention and investment in what is LIVING, our home planet is alive with abundance of life. We don't know everything there is to know of mother earth while casting destruction on her, and wishing to colonize on another planet..

It's kind of sad in a metaphysical way when you think about it. The planet that gives and gives without wanting anything back, has always birthed and nurtured uncountable creatures and plants, including our own species.

The species that is intelligent enough to comprehend and advance within the reality, treats it's mother world like a garbage can, and dreams of leaving.

This world is the most beautiful one we will ever find. With more abundant life then we will ever find. The perfect condition for humanity to live and Co exist. To advance and mature, to then reach our destiny as a space venturing species!

We should have respect with our mother earth and want to establish that natural connection! Learn everything about her before venturing and investing slave labor money (tax payer $) on dead planets/moons.

A semi rant regarding the ignorance of humanity and their mother planet. It does sadden me that everything is here, yet most don't care or are ignorant to the planet that has carried their species throughout time.

Wonderful video in the link, the jellyfish creature at the end was awesome!

I agree with you. However greed has taken over even at the expense of our environment.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

My favorite is the Acorn Worm. What a vibrant purple (and cool name)
Thank you for sharing LostBook

Cool, right?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

These are things we should be investing more into, we want to find unknown life in space... There are unknown amounts of unknown life in the water! It's my honest opinion, we should know our planet inside and out, before worrying and spending BILLIONS on space junk to probe soil we won't touch or walk on, for generations to come. Give attention and investment in what is LIVING, our home planet is alive with abundance of life. We don't know everything there is to know of mother earth while casting destruction on her, and wishing to colonize on another planet.. It's kind of sad in a metaphysical way when you think about it. The planet that gives and gives without wanting anything back, has always birthed and nurtured uncountable creatures and plants, including our own species. The species that is intelligent enough to comprehend and advance within the reality, treats it's mother world like a garbage can, and dreams of leaving.

Very well-said, which echoes whatever I would have said in this thread - thanks for helping keep me lazy

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

It seems like we need good ideas to invest in for turning sea water into drinkable water for us and for farming as well, especially if the world's population continues to grow as irrationally as it is in third world countries. I can actually see where the term "unwashed masses" will be an everyday term to describe more and more countries way before the turn of the century. 😷 😢

I'd absolutely love to see us going into space with the idea of colonizing other earth like planets. BUT...the thought that we might bring all the problems of earth we have today with us is too horrible to even contemplate. Honestly, I'd like to see religion LEFT on earth. Of course finding intelligent life on other planets may make MANY rethink, or at least reevaluate their ideas and beliefs! Perhaps then and ONLY then could we band together, work together and realize underneath it all we're all the SAME...HUMANS!

At least for now we can wonder at the myriad of worlds and the creatures that live in them. Wouldn't it be nifty to discover bases populated by some of those intelligent life forms I speculated on?! They may turn out to be our landlords!! SCAREY, huh,?! The thought of damages we've done to the world we're basically "renting" and what it would take to repair it is beyond my imagination...sigh 😢
edit on 12-7-2016 by Rubicon3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

All excellent points. I have never even thought about it entirely like that before but you are so right.

I reckon this does not happen because they cant "spend" billions of dollars exploring stuff here on Earth near as easily. Black projects wouldnt fly either.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

The USO has bases in the Marianas trench? Wow! I'll bet Bob Hope never entertained at one of those!

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
magnificent to see.

yet we're spending trillions to go to outer space, when we have aliens here on earth already.

imagine if those life forms held some tangible or empirical ideas or definite non abstract insights on our origins.

i say this because this is an ecosystem which probably has not changed for thousands of years, where biological forms are probably as close to our original make up as ever. where eyes arent needed, ears arms or digestive systems, imagine the glorious findings we can make if we began to look down instead of up into infinity...

why arent we going there to explore instead? oh yea, NASA is a slush fund...

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
From the smallest to the largest - fish and crustacean live by
the miracle of high pressure fluid transfer and low-gas content
blood. Even the tiniest
arthropod and cephalopod either lure food to them, capture
detritus, or if on a vent at 33,000 feet depth, absorb food from
bacterial colonies who fixate on the sulpher dioxide and other
chemicals and compounds that spew from said vents.

edit on 12-7-2016 by Drawsoho because: add

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Drawsoho
From the smallest to the largest - fish and crustacean live by
the miracle of high pressure fluid transfer and low-gas content
blood. Even the tiniest
arthropod and cephalopod either lure food to them, capture
detritus, or if on a vent at 33,000 feet depth, absorb food from
bacterial colonies who fixate on the sulpher dioxide and other
chemicals and compounds that spew from said vents.

Thatnks for educating us on how it all works; fish breathing and such. Very interesting info.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
magnificent to see.

yet we're spending trillions to go to outer space, when we have aliens here on earth already.

imagine if those life forms held some tangible or empirical ideas or definite non abstract insights on our origins.

i say this because this is an ecosystem which probably has not changed for thousands of years, where biological forms are probably as close to our original make up as ever. where eyes arent needed, ears arms or digestive systems, imagine the glorious findings we can make if we began to look down instead of up into infinity...i say this because this is an ecosystem which probably has not changed for thousands of years, where biological forms are probably as close to our original make up as ever.

why arent we going there to explore instead? oh yea, NASA is a slush fund...

Excellent point. You're right, these life forms of the deep ARE probably the closet too the original life forms on this planet.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Ummm, how does 'high pressure fluid transfer and low-gas content blood' allow them to live under such massive pressure? If you can explain it like I'm a golden retriever, that would help.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join