It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for people who have ever worked at a restaurant

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Have done that a lot in a few places. Am treated like family, there.

I do make an effort to show interest and caring toward the staff.

They respond as though they appreciate that a lot.

I also tip well--often double the average, at least.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Any restaurant who doesn't love repeat customers is a restaurant that won't last long. And if you tip well, the servers will treat you like a king.

I have things I order when I go to any restaurant i am familiar with. This one place has amazing food ("fine dining"), but i always order their hamburger. Its the best burger i've ever had, and i am always ready to have one. they may think im weird...but they don't show it.

I don't work "in" a restaurant, but from the guy who counts up their receipts: I appreciate any business, repeat or not.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Did quite a bit of restaurant work in the past and can say that the customer you described (even without being a good tipper) is the customer that we really liked to see.

Also-a repeat customer typically doesn't "Dine and Dash".

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

As long as you aren't rude to the staff or create a scene,you'll be viewed as just another customer,you'll just have the added privilege of being able to say: "I'll have the usual" if you order the same thing often enough.

You might be seen as sort of a doucher if you don't tip though,especially since it sounds like you go there often.
Personally I've never been a host,but I have been a dishwasher and I've heard a lot of the complaints from the hosts/hostesses about people not tipping.(at the restaurant I worked at back in the day a portion of people didn't tip for to go orders)
Also yes if you order the same thing all the time it does make it easier.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Nothing weird about it at all.

Repeat customers are what it's all about and from personal experience the staff think something is up if they suddenly stop. So strike up a conversation, make yourself welcome. As a regular and a tipper you are the most valued customer a business can have.

Staff are usually more inclined to go out of their way for a regular

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Not at all.

I had plenty of regulars that got the exact same thing several times a week. I would just nod as they walked in and fire their meals. The hallmark of a good restaurant is consistency and some people really know how to appreciate that.

I am sort of the same with the places I frequent in that I find what I like and get it consistently.

edit on 12-7-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
This one place has amazing food ("fine dining"), but i always order their hamburger. Its the best burger i've ever had, and i am always ready to have one.

I think you told me about this place.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Cameltoe

edit on 13-7-2016 by THEMYKIL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
You really shouldn't worry so much, I hope none of my regulars worry that I think they're weird!!!

When you deal with the general public, it really raises the bar for what can be called weird. Ordering the same thing every time is not weird, unless you keep trying to order Chinese food at a Mexican place. I had one set of regulars that tipped really erratically, and drank iced tea with grenadine and cherries in it. I had one customer order a scotch and milk. Ten years later, 800 miles away, a totally different customer orders a scotch and milk. So I asked, for the love of god WHY???!!! (only with tact, haha) it turns out people with ulcers aren't supposed to drink, but when they drink anyway, scotch and milk is the least irritating for an ulcer. I know I went off on a tangent, here. My point is if you're worried that people will think you're weird, you're probably perfectly normal. If people think something is weird, you will know because it IS REALLY WEIRD. When you serve people all day, every day, you see the whole range of human behavior and preference. The people who are weirdest or most annoying aren't thinking for a second about what the servers think of them at all.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I have spent many years working as a short order grill cook.One customer would
always order a patty melt for lunch.A patty melt is a hamburger in a grilled cheese
sandwich,rye bread and the cheese is swiss not american,with lettuce and mayo.
He came in and ordered his sandwich and I fixed it and a surprise sandwich.
We also had cocktail rye bread for snacks.I made him a sandwich using the regular
rye bread and the cocktail rye bread.I sent out the cocktail rye sandwich first and
the look on his face when I gave him his plate...priceless!
I then went back into the kitchen and brought out his real sandwich.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: anotheramethyst

When you deal with the general public, it really raises the bar for what can be called weird

I once served a woman over the space of a few hours that literally pee'd where she sat, thankfully she sat outside but she was stone cold sober when she arrived, not so much when she left lol. The real kicker is she had friends and family around her... Honestly, every half hour or so the fountain would start sprinkling, I kid you not.

I honestly didn't know what too think and neither did anyone else, I politely offered assistance quite a few times though she seemed more than content the way she was.

So yeah, it doesn't half raise the bar.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
double post
edit on 13-7-2016 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I have.

I do the same at chains. Chili's = Honey Chipotle Chicken Crispers. Denny's = Moons Over My Hammy. Johnny Carino's: Penne Chicken Gorgonzola

I just get into a rhythm like that. Im pretty boring.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I just get into a rhythm like that. Im pretty boring.

Is it boring or more, 'I tried that other stuff and THIS is what I want'?

For me I sampled enough at the places where I am a regular and I just want what I want.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join