It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

my theory on why the mayan calendar ends on 12-21-12

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Check out this writing www.omniglot.com...
Here is more info on Vinca culture/writing www.goddessmyths.com...

Some say that it is older then summerian writings or egyptians.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I have a book in my liberary here SOMEWHERE....called
~~ the 12th planet ~~
its full of so called facts about Nibiru.......they explain WHY they say 12 instead of 10, and thats because Ancients counted our moon and Sun as part of the solor bodies worth counting. So 12......

It was a very convincing read.....claiming the Greys live on this planet, amounst other things.
A Few Ancient civilisations leave some kind of Solar record counting this many solor bodies......
(dagnabbitt I wish I could come up with the Author of this book)
They lay out a plausible and convincing case....I read it YEARS ago and was frightened by it for a long time, hence not rereading it....but maybe I shall pick it up again, once I find it that is............

GRRRRRRRR@ myself and my overabundance of books!

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tuatara
Jp420,
I tried looking up some of your facts:
1) What I found was the solar magnetic cycle is 21 then 22 years and here's the site arxiv.org...
2) Nowhere could I find anything on the "1336040", you called it the cycle of the sun, What do you mean?
3) You claim mass extinctions when this 10th planet orbits (3600 yrs). I'm pretty sure there wasn't a mass extinction about the yr 1600 BC.
4) It's probably only been within the last 120 yrs (stretching it) that we have kept measurements of solar flares, How do you prove it way back to 6000 BC?
5) The earths magnetic field has flipped, many times actually. But at 60 kilometers Per Second, it would be in the south in a couple of days. Being lazy and not doing the math right now. Off_the_Stree did it for me. thanks OTS
6) You spoke of a Hole in space... I believe that the Hubble Telescope would be able to 'see' past it.
7) And concerning the 'earliest writing system' it was actually pictographs, not necessarily the ability to form words and thoughts from symbols as you're saying the Sumarians did 5000 yrs ago, which would make it between the yrs 4000 and 3000 BC (different sources), you said 5000 BC.
8) I had a physics teacher selling raffle tickets one day, said there was only 100 tickets at $10 each. I said "1% chance on a $10 bet, that's not good eneough." He said, "finally, someone understands %s" A 4% error rate on a Space Launch, would probably cause a couple of Red flags to start waiving at NASA. Don't you think?
9) A solar system with two stars is called binary, and your source was a 1983 encylopedia !!

Detecting asteroids and planets are very difficult because they only give off reflected light, so it very well could be out there. Just fact checking.

There may be a 10th planet but the "mathematical facts" and 'assumptions' you presented don't make sense.

And, you gave an opinion at the end of your post, not a Theory.

Tuataras Third Eye

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Tuatara]

the magnetic cycle is 11 years then flip, so 22 for complete magnetic cycle. i have that link bookmarked at home, i will post later (that states the 1.3 mil days)

we have been recording sunspots since the 16th century, carbon dating of elements found in trees shows us that info matches back till that time, 8k years back is not hard to verify by this method.

mass extinction doesent have to happen every time it comes by.
60 km per year, not second. that was a typo but if you researched it you would know...

yes it was pictographs in 5kbc, it was words by 1300bc. the pictures show our solar system as we know it today with one extra planet. the texts also verify this, not just the pictures. even if the pictures were the only evidence, its a pretty strong evidence. they knew about pluto at least 3300 years before us.

3.8% is probably better than you did in college, and you had computers and calculators. also, nasa has been known to blow up space shuttles becasue they tought their margin of error was significantly larger than it actually was.

oh yeah, and rivergoddes, i found a bunch of stuff about that book while doing this research and i excluded all of the alien conspiracy theories out of it and only used the most verifyable of the info.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by jprophet420]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

When Maurice came to study the Mayan calendar he noticed that there was a great similarity between the time cycles predicted for solar magnetism and the cycles inherent to the Mayan calendar system. In his theory the Sun's magnetic field reverses at the end of a complete cycle, after 1,366,040 days. In the Mayan calendar, a complete cycle of time is 1,366,560 days.

The Mayan Prophecies by Adrian G. Gilbert and Maurice M. Cotterel

this is not to say the magnetic feild of the sun does not flip at 11 year intervals.
also
'The Solar Wind

Space vehicles in interplanetary space have encountered streams of highly energetic charged particles originating from the sun. These streams, called the solar wind, flow radially outward from the sun through the solar system and extend far beyond the orbits of both Neptune and Pluto.'
Encyclopedia Britannica
so a magnetic field can reach across the solar system..

In other research, a professor of physics at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Dr. John J. Matese, is making a case for the existence of a 2- to 3-Jupiter mass object orbiting some 2.3 trillion miles from the sun. In a paper soon to be published in the planetary journal, Icarus, Dr. Matese asserts that this object, too, has created a "concentration" of Oort cloud comets and is responsible for sending a significant number of them - perhaps as much as 25 percent - into the inner solar system.

the Oort cloud iw what we can't see all the way into or directly behind...

...a vast sphere known as the Oort cloud, which surrounds the solar system between 900 billion and 4.5 trillion miles from the sun.

Uranus has completed over two and a half orbits since its discovery in 1741, and Neptune, discovered in 1846, has completed almost one full circuit. Both planets should have accurately determined orbits by now. And yet, variations in their predicted positions, called residuals, persist.

Space.com

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
jprophet says:

"the magnetic cycle is 11 years then flip, so 22 for complete magnetic cycle. i have that link bookmarked at home, i will post later (that states the 1.3 mil days)"

Are you saying that 22 years equals 1.3 million days? Try 8.035.5 days. In a subsequent post, you quote someone named Maurice Cottrell who says: "the Sun's magnetic field reverses at the end of a complete cycle, after 1,366,040 days. In the Mayan calendar, a complete cycle of time is 1,366,560 days.", yet you don't say why Cottrell believes this. Is he an astrophysicist or just someone who made something up. What does Cottrell (and you) know to come up with the 3.1 million-day figure?

"we have been recording sunspots since the 16th century..."

No. We discovered sunspots in the 17th century, and continuous observations didn't start until 1849, although there were good data developed before then. (science.nasa.gov...).

"... carbon dating of elements found in trees shows us that info matches back till that time..."

No. Carbon dating shows when something died. Furthermore, given the destruction of forests, dendrochronology is not all that accurate, although, I will grant that the lowered sunspont activity is correlated to climate changes.

But you're still missing the point. The dearth of sunspots between ~1600 and 1725 does not appear to be cyclical. And I cannot see how a 22-year sunspot cycle, combined with an anomalous lowering of sunspot activity, can give any credence whatsoever to your assertion of Mayan calendars fortelling something or other.

"8k years back is not hard to verify by this method."

It's not "hard", it's impossible. Inasmuch as carbon dating simply doesn't reflect sunspot cycles, and there aren't that many 8000-year-old trees for dendochronological studies, the only way I can think of to show climate changes over the past 8000 years is by ice-core studies, and I can't think of any of them that have any relevance -- can you?

And even if you could, how can you correlate that to sunspots, which weren't even discovered until 1610?

And even if there was a correlation between sunspot activity and climate change going back 8000 years (whcich, FWIW, I wouldn't find all that far-fetched), what on Earth does it have to do with a Mayan calendar?

"...mass extinction doesent have to happen every time it comes by."

You're saying, then, there is no correlation between this cycle and any sort of catastrophe? I agree wholeheartedly!

"60 km per year, not second. that was a typo but if you researched it you would know... "

Bud, you're the researcher here, not me. But I do know that the magnetic pole, even though it may move on the order of kilometers per year, is not going straight south. Here, by the way, is a path of the North Magnetic Pole from 1831, when it was first discovered, until 2001.

www.geolab.nrcan.gc.ca...

Notice that it is heading mainly North, not South, and that, even though it's been accelerating in the past few years, its movement is now at 40 km/yr, not 60 km/yr.

And you're accusing me of not doing research?

"...3.8% is probably better than you did in college..."

Prophet, now you're just being silly. A 3.8 grade average is not the same as 3.8 percent deviation, any more than an IQ of 121 means that I weigh 121 pounds. A 3.8 (out of 4.0) average means that I missed a perfect score by five percent (which, by the way, is better than I did. I barely escaped undergraduate school with a 3.0, although my present course averages are a bit higher).

"...and you had computers and calculators."

Not when I was in undergrad school, kid. We used slide rules in the sixties LOL!!

But again, your point is irrelevant. The Babylonians, Egyptians, and the Maya themselves were able to predict astronomical phenomena accurately to within a tenth of a percent error in many cases.

Again, Prophet, your data doesn't add up.

On a more personal note, if you're a Maya fan, check out the photo albums entitled VAC2004: CAHAL PECH and VAC 2004: XUNANTUNICH at members7.clubphoto.com... . These are some pictures I took of some Maya ruins, including an observatory, three months ago.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by freeb
I don't really buy the niburu thing, but I wonder if we would necessarily detect a planet orbiting on the suns Y axis instead of the X axis like most planets. Especially if it had a long orbit.

I've seen this mentioned on websites about Planet X, a diagram even - I wondered if it was even possible, or any example has been discovered of a planetary system in which planets orbit on both the Y and X axis, or even just on the 'vertical' axis at all?

There's quite a few websites about Planet X/Nibiru, a lot use Zecharia Sitchin's series of books as evidence for their claims.

It's definately an interesting subject, but by no means conclusive, in fact, I've seen Sitchin's work debunked here very convincingly.

Sorry if I'm straying off a little here - What I do find interesting is the symbol of the cross that is brought into this. In these theories the cross is a symbol of the planets crossing, and it's often struck me that this could be the same symbol as the Christian Cross - there's lots of theories about what the story of Jesus really means, if he really existed and so forth - it's very interesting to link all these things up into one grand theory - although I know that's nice in theory to have everything in a grand conspiracy, but unrealistic - I just find it very interesting, even if I don't subscribe fully to it (sitting on the fence).

I do think if there was something close enough to us that it would pass very closely in just 7 years, we could have detected it by now, and I don't think it's plausable to say it's being kept underwraps since surely even amateur astronomers could view it?

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Jp420
Off the Street was right, this is your thread for research, when we (others) do it, it turns out to be either helping or debunking, or if it's really worth the research- enlighting.

I'm not really interested in this topic, just found your first post overly filled with hypothetical numerical calculations: My major was Math, and when I first went to college for 2.5 yrs I ended with a 1.2 gpa. But the second round of 4 yrs I ended with a 3.8. OtS compared the difference to you.

So here's something for you to follow-up on:
"The rock is about half Pluto's size. It orbits the Sun every 288 years, mostly beyond Pluto's orbit. " at
www.space.com...

His name may say Off the Street but somehow I think it have helped him more than hurt him (he's made some very good observations and I give him a

Tuataras Third Eye

[edit on 19-1-2005 by Tuatara]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
14/7%

concerning the Mayan calander end on 12-21-12

Unfortunately, we won't have occasion to dwell on the properties of the so-called Short Count system here. The Long Count system is somewhat more abstract, yet is also related to certain astronomical cycles. It is based on nested cycles of days multiplied at each level by the key Mayan number, twenty.

www.levity.com...
[How & Why of the Mayan End Date in 2012 AD_by John Major Jenkins]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

it seems the Mayan cycle known as the Great Cycle = 5,125.36 years....
completes itself on 12-21-2012, then immediately starts anew !

& this cycle is completely independent from any 'Nibiru" Planet-X or 'Rahab" orbit of ~3,600 years.. although, your unfortunate synchronicity may exist !?
->one event is not conditional or a cause of the other event

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
1. got the carbon dating data from nasa, pretty sure if they say it can be tracked it can.

2. got the 60km/yr from a different source, i guess that i didnt research it huh. obviously we if we used the same sources we would have never found pluto to begin with...

like i said you dont have to believe it, there are at least a handfull of well respected (not ol' zach either- hes nuts) scientists that support the theory. the big bang theory was accepted by almost all of the scientific community untill it was completely debunked.

one last thing, please explain how we cant calculate the orbits of uranus and neptune within a

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
uh i dont know if i should laugh or what at your ignorance, theres more to support the big bang theory than to disprove it, namely this:

First of all, we are reasonably certain that the universe had a beginning.
Second, galaxies appear to be moving away from us at speeds proportional to their distance. This is called "Hubble's Law," named after Edwin Hubble (1889-1953) who discovered this phenomenon in 1929. This observation supports the expansion of the universe and suggests that the universe was once compacted.
Third, if the universe was initially very, very hot as the Big Bang suggests, we should be able to find some remnant of this heat. In 1965, Radioastronomers Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson discovered a 2.725 degree Kelvin (-454.765 degree Fahrenheit, -270.425 degree Celsius) Cosmic Microwave Background radiation (CMB) which pervades the observable universe. This is thought to be the remnant which scientists were looking for. Penzias and Wilson shared in the 1978 Nobel Prize for Physics for their discovery.
Finally, the abundance of the "light elements" Hydrogen and Helium found in the observable universe are thought to support the Big Bang model of origins.

www.big-bang-theory.com...

[edit on 19-1-2005 by namehere]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420
1. got the carbon dating data from nasa, pretty sure if they say it can be tracked it can.

Show us...where then.

got the 60km/yr from a different source

ok, show us.

like i said you dont have to believe it

I showed you something supporting your idea!

one last thing, please explain how we cant calculate the orbits of uranus and neptune within a

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Prophet, I am not here to jump on you; I am here to deny ignorance.

Our job, as I see it, is to look at the way things are and try to come up with a somewhat rational explanation for why they are the way they are or why they do what they do.

Admittedly, we as a group tend to look at things that most others might think of as being conspiratorial in effect; but even though we are free -- and even challenged -- to look at alternative modalities, we have to ensure that our assertions and hypotheses follow the same intellectual rigor as any other scientist's.

Otherwise, we're not denying ignorance...

,,,we're perpetuating it.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well put Off_The_Street.

Don't think I'm trying to discourage you, just the opposite! Be ready to stand by your 'theories' and if it's really fact, well, people will have to accept it but they will always try to disprove it.

A prime example is _javascript:win1('../Glossary/fermats_last_theorem',350,200) it was actually a guess but proven. This is not a forum of simple people, there are many many credited individuals which constantly watch this. So I don't know if you've been discouraged or encouraged, hope the latter.

I do know that without at least guessing, you wouldn't be any closer to the truth. I really hope that OtS and I haven't offended you but have helped you.

Tuataras Third Eye
(Do you know what a Tuatara is?)

[edit on 19-1-2005 by Tuatara]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
jprophet420 please do some reasearch. You're being shot down with every post, either present credible info and sources or give up your thory of the 10th planet. This is your thread.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
I have a book in my liberary here SOMEWHERE....called
~~ the 12th planet ~~
its full of so called facts about Nibiru.......they explain WHY they say 12 instead of 10, and thats because Ancients counted our moon and Sun as part of the solor bodies worth counting. So 12......

It was a very convincing read.....claiming the Greys live on this planet, amounst other things.
A Few Ancient civilisations leave some kind of Solar record counting this many solor bodies......
(dagnabbitt I wish I could come up with the Author of this book)
They lay out a plausible and convincing case....I read it YEARS ago and was frightened by it for a long time, hence not rereading it....but maybe I shall pick it up again, once I find it that is............

GRRRRRRRR@ myself and my overabundance of books!

The auther is ZECHARIA STITCHEN. He wrote many books in his "Earth Chronicles" series. I read the books a couple years ago, and they are very interesting. I suggest anyone interested in this sort of topic to read the 12th PLANET. Very convincing and interesting, although many have told me that stitchen horribly translated sumerian texts to fit his story. The book tells of the possibly origin of man, talks about ancient history, and speculates on the possibility that the 12th planet is where the Gods rest, ie our "alien ancestors". Go on Barnes and Noble.com and order it, you can get these books for about 10 bucks in paperback and they are insanely fun to read and interesting, they really make you think.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
i feel the 2012 is accuarte..but only because galactic center of the milky way will be pointing at earth then.Every thing goes in cycles.Nothing to prove it though

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
is this nibiru the same as "planet X"

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
First, thank you offthestreet, for changing your sig pic. You look much better to me with a guitar in your hands. Also, I enjoyed your commentary on the various points posted. The sun spot cycles were studied in depth by the Mayans, and were important to them. Some people suggest that the sunspot activity level is related to our earth's fertility rates.
Also, from what I have read, all of the previous ages that the Mayans describe have different lengths. Only this current one is 5125 years long. The date of 13.0.0.0.0 Baktun, (21/12/2012) is not a random choice for the end of the calendar, but a very significant date to them. It is akin to a 26 000 year odometer rollover, and is based on an astronomical cycle that they felt was of some importance.
When I read the description of the Mayan God Quetzlcoatl being a 'plumed serpent' that flies across the sky, I can't help but picture a comet, but that is just me.
I still have no idea what to expect when this end date arrives, and my only feeling is that 'something' will happen.........anything from a relatively innocous shift of the earth's magnetic field, to a terrific, global, life-altering solar event or interstellar object return, etc.
Or nothing............maybe it is just as significant as when we entered the new millenium on January 1, 2001.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by silver wolverine
i feel the 2012 is accuarte..but only because galactic center of the milky way will be pointing at earth then.Every thing goes in cycles.Nothing to prove it though

Not trying to be a smarty-pants, but how can the center of anything point in any one direction?

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Don't quote me on this, cuz its likely not exactly correct, but the idea I read was along the lines of that at midnight on the solstice, the sun would be directly in line between the blackhole that is in the galaxies center, and earth. This is likely not totally correctly relayed by me, but is my attempt to describe the concept that I read. The ancient texts even describe the black hole......

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join