It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US media is disciplined by corporate America into promoting the Republican cause

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Have a read of this article thanks to G Mobiot writing for the Guardian.

www.guardian.co.uk...

I hope you enjoy your "freedom and democracy" (TM)...

oh and yeah.. they REALLY counted your votes, especially if you were black or hispanic coz they're really down with the equality thing overthere too.

[edit on 18/1/2005 by Corinthas]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The best bit :

" A US newspaper discovered that Armstrong Williams, a television presenter who (among other jobs) had a weekly slot on a syndicated TV show called America's Black Forum, had secretly signed a $240,000 contract with the US Department of Education. The contract required him "to regularly comment" on George Bush's education bill "during the course of his broadcasts" and to ensure that "Secretary Paige [the education secretary] and other department officials shall have the option of appearing from time to time as studio guests".

But hey this is a country that took bribery and called it lobbying..

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
You know I heard that one over and over in these boards by some members, "enjoy your freedom and democracy" and the same members will tag you anti American and a traitor when you go against the administration.

I guess playing the patriotic brain washing is a good way to make the people in this nation guilty of its "freedom and democracy"

The whole idea of freedom and democracy is the right to said what you agree or disagree about your elected officials, that is what freedom and democracy really means, but is tag as American.

I guess before the bribes was done behind the scenes but lately is just for everybody to see and figure who is the boss.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I think it is about time the media got spanked. They are just getting way to politically correct that they've lost touch with reality. Besides I've got a little boy now and even An Ex-rock musician, booze hound - womanizing long haired tatoo covered hippy as myself is starting to wonder what the hell is going on with the media. Too much gay crap on television. I don't want my son being read 1 Dad 2 Dads, Green Dad, Blue Dad as required school curriculumn. I'll teach tolerance but not glorification. The media is clearly 2 left wing so it's good that their corperate sponsers are clamping down.
"THE CHILDREN, will somebody please think of the children" Mrs. Flanders (simpson's)

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Did you not read the article or just not understand it?

or is it that the brainwashing's worked on you?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Aside from Fox and some radio stations that air some conservative talk shows, the media (print and broadcast) is very definately pro-liberal in the U.S.

Maybe if you either lived here or sampled the media from here you'd know better than to decide based on one article form a UK newspaper/magazine.

Guess that also makes you an expert on the U.S. Voting process, too.

I suggest you first concern yourself with fixing British issues before even thinking about what goes on here.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
What on God's green earth is the matter with these people!? Are they too stoopid to realize that the only reason they have these opinions is because THEIR SLANTED AND BIASED MEDIA PUT THEM THERE!?!?

These foreign yahoos who have never spent any extended time in the US feel as though they have some type of professional expertise to make these comments regarding our political process or our media. I find it laughable!

Do you know why I don't comment on the German's, the French or the Brit's political system or their media is because I DON"T LIVE THERE! Meybe this is just some passive desire of their to make themselves look like uninformed fools. Congratulations! It worked!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The media leaning towards the Republicans?

Quite funny, that gave me a good long laugh. The media has been anti-Republican, anti-conservative, and anti-Bush always.

The only bit of the media even mildly conservative is MSNBC and Fox, though they actually lean closer to a "middle of the road" approach than they do to the far right, while CNN and CBS are ultra-liberal.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   

The media has been anti-Republican, anti-conservative, and anti-Bush always.

Huh? Excuse me? I'm sorry but the media is not anti-republican nor are they anti-bush. I have never seen the media bash Bush once except for CBS. The media has always been for the war on terrorism and who pray tell is for the war on terrorism? The Republicans of course. *dingdingding* So unfortunately I have to disagree with you.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This article shows an utter and complete lack of knowledge of the American media. Virtually all of the American media is liberal! They take an example of a network showing it's blatent liberal bias and somehow spin it into proof of Republican bias?!?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I think people are confused because they are associating Bush with conservatism. Corporate-owned news channels and newspapers will favor a larger, more powerful government, especially one that keeps their viewers fixated on TV and spending.

Republican = increased government, increased spending?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Thank you for clarifying that, djohnsto.

Never in all my life have I heard the American media as a whole called conservative...even your basic hardcore liberal will admit that the media has an incredible liberal bias.

And that may not be a conspiracy, but it's sure enough the promotion of a liberal political agenda by affecting the minds of the ignorant.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_cross3
The media leaning towards the Republicans?

Quite funny, that gave me a good long laugh. The media has been anti-Republican, anti-conservative, and anti-Bush always.

The only bit of the media even mildly conservative is MSNBC and Fox, though they actually lean closer to a "middle of the road" approach than they do to the far right, while CNN and CBS are ultra-liberal.

WRONG!!! Thats where they get you. They tell you that its the "liberal" media to blame for everything. Fox News= Mildly conserative ? Thats laughable. Any media which tries to to shine an unfavorable light on the administration is labled "liberal" which any more is a curse word. Just because you disagree with the Prez, doesnt make you a liberal.

top topics

join