It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musings on the Mandela Effect

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I wanted to write a little jape about the Mandela Effect lately. I decided not to.

The comment was to go as such: that when I was younger, the Mandela Effect never seemed to happen, nor did anyone talk about it, nor was it a prevalent area of discussion. Only after the transdimensionaltimeslip did Mandela events begin happening

Not much meat to write a thread on, even if it has been on my mind lately. Why did we never encounter Mandela events until the scenario for which it is named after? I am a believer in this phenomenon. I remember distinctly hearing of Nelson Mandela's passing as a teen, and thinking to myself, "This was someone I know nothing about, but feel I should."

I felt like I wanted to research and learn why this person was revered, and why their death was headline news (you'll have to forgive me for being a victim of millennial ignorance.)

So, yeah, in my belief and worldview, the Mandela Effect is a thing, a real thing, an unknown real thing that isn't easily washed away with the usual dismissals of faulty memory and fancy variations of deja vu. If these explanations work for you, great! But I am not satisfied.

There is an event in my life that I positively, distinctly remember--but no one else does. How? Why? Was this a Mandela-esque shift? It only suddenly came to mind just now as I was watching youtube. I am watching clips of baseball injuries. I watched someone running to 1st and they stepped wrong, and fell over. They flubbed up their knee. I have memory of the wincing pain.

I was walking through the hallway of my elementary school. The whole class, was walking single file down the hall. I fell. Teachers called the nurse etc. For some reason my knee gave out. The muscles or tendon or something just didn't want to do its thang. I had crutches. I remember the crutches. This. Happened.

I must have been somewhere between 1st and 3rd grade. Sorry I can't remember more precisely than that. But I do know this happened. This was one of my 2 major childhood injuries. The other was a broken collar bone when I was 4 years old, which I also remember to some extent.

My parents both remember the broken collar bone, but not the leg injury and crutches. Why? It happened. I would have only been a couple years older after the collar bone.

I am curious if anybody else has come across these disconnected memories that belong only to you.

My parents' memories aren't 100% foolproof sources of course, but I always thought it was odd how nobody remembered this happening but me.

I used to pride myself on my exceptional memorization skills. It got me straight A's all my life all the way through college. I could just read and internalize without much effort. Lately I feel I can't trust my memory like I used to. There are simply too many misplaced things anymore. I feel like I am on Mandela deja vu overload. The lines just keep blurring.

Am I the only one? Surely not.

I posted in another thread recently that I think this Mandela thing has more to do with each of us being unique observers, with our perspectives coalescing into some shared sense of reality. Reality is a collection of our observations. The seams are definitely not as tight-knit as they were when I was younger.

But I concede, memory is a funny thing, and I no longer have confidence in mine. I trust in my observations of the present moment, but not my memories of the past. Maybe this isn't a bad thing..

It's about what happens today, now, not about dwelling on yesterday or worrying about tomorrow. Today is the only thing we can be sure of with any real amount of reliability.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Messed up black out from before three?
Interesting OP, just skimmed over as it seems too personal to read thoroughly in'm thinking of doing regression therapy or something... hope your okay recalling the years before five... for me it is too difficult.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
just skimmed over as it seems too personal to read thoroughly

Say what?

"Too personal to read?!"

Don't you mean, TL: DR?

I don't know what to make of your post exactly, but I find it hilarious

Why post just to say you didn't read the OP and have nothing to say about it?

edit on 12-7-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha glad I make you laugh/smile..whatever...i once intruded on a thread and now walk on eggshells as to who a thread is for... if not just anyone willing to read it.
I figure the stuff I post any ole buddy can read, my emotions are fairly open after 20-23 years old..

being hermet is crazy.. i'll read your op, if it is okay with you...as I said, just sorta skimmed through.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

How old were you when you think Nelson Mandela died?

He was released from jail in 1990, had a few health scares in the mid to late 2000's.

Mandela was an important person, he was also considered a terrorist by many with his planning of multiple attacks on South African infrastructure.

I have a question.

Considering Mandela died before to so many people, what was his funeral like? How big was his memorial service?

I personally remember the mix of happiness and sadness for many South Africans, overall the mourning of a national treasure nationally. That was back in 2013, Johannesburg stadium packed to the rafters. Point being I remember that fairly definitively so I'm curious on how you remember his first funeral going, an estimate date and memories of said funeral.

Actually personal accounts of any Mandela effect theorists I'd be interested in.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   

edit on 12-7-2016 by peppycat because: 😇

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I was born in '89.

My experience of this memory would be very different than yours. I was channel-surfing, saw the headline for a few minutes, thought "hm..not totally sure who this is, but it seems important," channel changed.

It would have been somewhere in the mid-2000's. I was shocked at the announcement of the 'actual' date, thinking, "Didn't this already happen?"

I find the topic very fascinating, as I do similar events such as 11:11 etc. The fluidity of the mind and reality on the whole is very intriguing to me. I feel like it all circles the same storm drain of consciousness and ends up at the same place.

Edit: I see you recall 2013 being the 'first' time. I could go with that. It wasn't something I especially remember. It was only a passing memory for me and I couldn't tell you the year exactly. It wasn't a super important thing for me to remember at the time.

Just like I remember seeing the announcement of George Harrison's death on the news. At the time, I had no clue who it was.

Though he is one of my favorite musicians, I still couldn't tell you what year he died.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
What do the doctors records say? Were they altered too? Beetter go have z rays and see who is lying to you. The rays wont lie. I have a broken collar right now, but no broken legs, Just a healed broken foot and some steel in one foot that no one knows where it came from

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

I may be slightly mad, but not mad enough to hunt down an ER doctor from over 20 years ago. I'm sorry, but this isn't an episode of the X-Files. I have enough peace of mind telling my experience without having to investigate every contingency of proof to convince total strangers on the web.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Hey Narcoleptic:
I remember Mandela dying a few times, just as I remember some other notable people dying more than once. But then I remember many things, social and personal, happening over and over in slightly altered ways......

For many years, it's like I've been living in a few different dimensions of time, all at once. So when you summed up your op with all we have, really, is today, my response was, alll we really have is this particular moment.

You might find this snippet interesting:

The ouroboros or oroboros (/ˌjʊərəˈbɒrəs, ˌjʊəroʊ-/;[2] Ancient Greek: οὐροβόρος ὄφις "tail-devouring snake") is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail.

The ouroboros often symbolizes self-reflexivity, introspection, or cyclicality,[3] especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things such as the phoenix which operate in cycles that begin anew as soon as they end. It can also represent the idea of primordial unity related to something existing in or persisting from the beginning with such force or qualities it cannot be extinguished. While first emerging in Ancient Egypt, the ouroboros has been important in religious and mythological symbolism, but has also been frequently used in alchemical illustrations, where it symbolizes the circular nature of the alchemist's opus. It is also often associated with Gnosticism and Hermeticism.

Carl Jung interpreted the ouroboros as having an archetypal significance to the human psyche.[4] The Jungian psychologist Erich Neumann writes of it as a representation of the pre-ego "dawn state", depicting the undifferentiated infancy experience of both mankind and the individual child.[5]

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I may be slightly mad, but not mad enough to hunt down an ER doctor from over 20 years ago. I'm sorry, but this isn't an episode of the X-Files. I have enough peace of mind telling my experience without having to investigate every contingency of proof to convince total strangers on the web.

Good for you. Excellent response.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I'm a year younger than you, I do remember health scares in mid to late 2000's, as a theory this one fascinates me also but it can be hard at times to get a coherent discussion going.

I remember Mandela being a very private man, was their not some confusion over the possibility of his death in mid to late 2000's?

Again it's a fascinating subject, many remember the man dying before but never the memorial service. I do find that strange. For comparison, I remember when Princess Diana died, not so much the death but I do remember the funeral. A very rainy day and I remember the heavens opening up when her coffin was being carried... Possibly from a plane?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I have enough peace of mind telling my experience without having to investigate every contingency of proof to convince total strangers on the web.

Any explanation why a number of people seem compelled to do so? That's what intrigues me.

edit on 7/12/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

If its important get an x ray. It will still show the repaired break.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

I remember the date a bit better because I was getting involved with a South African lady. We had multiple discussions about him, her POV was more "unique" since her father basically served against him and his following in his time in the military.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I have enough peace of mind telling my experience without having to investigate every contingency of proof to convince total strangers on the web.

Any explanation why a number of people seem compelled to do so? That's what intrigues me.

Wait..... what intrigues you, Phage, is why a number of people seem compelled to speak of their experiences?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: tetra50
I quoted what intrigues me.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: tetra50
I quoted what intrigues me.

oh, thanks for being direct when asked for clarification. I get it. You're prob too smart for me to even attempt an understanding. Checking out. Carry on, genuises. lol

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
www.theatlantic.com...

It doesn't take much to fool a human, and with 6+ billion of them, it doesn't take much to find a group of fooled ones.

Strength in numbers does not apply here.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

Foolishness seems to have a logarithmic relationship to the number of people who espouse it.

Wait. Did I get that backwards?

edit on 7/12/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join