It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is crazy, songwriting business stuff

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
So now the govt. is changing the rules on songwriter's collaborations. As a songwriter, I find this very disturbing for the songwriter that collaborates in their (our) craft. I need to post the link since there is a video talking about . What I don't get is why the agencies that collect royalties for songwriters even let this happen. Well, maybe it is now (will be) less paperwork for them. Is the people of the world losing it or is there just nothing to do these but eat, sleep and make people miserable.

www.newschannel5.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Hmm. Thanks for posting that. I didn't hear about it. I'm a songwriter myself, but this doesn't affect me. I can't give my stuff away.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Ive been part of 11 top 10 recordings and am in Billboards Top 100 Instrumental and Rock and Roll Groups of all time. (Seriously...I place no importance in that and my meaning of life... and am in a far different world now as a 1st responder...so lets understand that! We are ALL equal...)

I collect royalties from Universal and a few others overseas. There are some who get performance royalties, songwriter royalties, band member royalties, publishing royalties and some in a group or a whole group may get nothing at all....it depends on the original or renegotiated royalty agreements.

I get them quarterly and they in turn come from divided profits from worldwide downloads from Itunes and others like it. It can range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars per quarter and are based on the division of who gets how much by band or a single songwriters.

Ie: guitarist and bass player wrote music, singer wrote lyrics-2 guys get so much percent of royalties. the lyricist may get a higher or lower percentage others nothing. And that can change up and down in a single album, or song, arrangement...or just one person can get all of it. Some bands get none of it.

Now, I have music in the Sopranos t.v. show($20,000 one time payment)...in two movies-Trains, Planes and Automobiles and Tommy Boy-Ive no idea how much but it keeps coming. My former group is still popular in sales in the UK and Netherlands, Japan as well..but it changes year after year.

It gets deep and I know little about any of this new issue you present, but between ASCAP and Universal...they are pretty good about accounting for me and the former individual group members.

Should you want to discuss or have questions, contact me privately as I keep myself and group business separate from anything online.

Feel free.....Best.......MS
edit on 11-7-2016 by mysterioustranger because: slipped fingers

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Are you on iTunes? I would like to hear your music.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I keep myself and group business separate from anything online.

That's too bad. I'm sure you have some stories.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

We are...we're everywhere. This may be hard to understand...but Im going to try. Please try to see things from my(and our side). Privacy is everything these new- years into the millenium.

When we wrote and recorded things in the 60s-70s-80-s and beyond...we never knew or could really anticipate the digital age or home recordings, copying, and computers were barely an idea, let alone file sharing. That being said..on ATS here and elsewhere...though not always, I keep my privacy from the wolfs, thieves, doubters and hackers of the world.

I have had friends for 40 years who have never known my real legal last name. My parents managed me in the early days as a young rocker, and thru the Union, I kept a stage name. That name, and the name of my group and our records still will come up in 3-4 complete pages in a google search. On YouTube, there is a trademark issue...and if someone puts up something of ours, our attorneys shut it down with an email. Youtube is very good and fast about that.

I dont need to sell any more records. We dont need any more written about us...though I do have an interview in England coming about shortly...the 3rd with this interviewer in 10 years or so. I truly appreciate your interest. Really. But, what I wish to share is my expertise in those things I have experience in with those here and elsewhere that seem to need it or request it most.

I dont deny my identity, and I do share it with folks Ive met if its brought up. Its nice to see them search their phones and pop up right away. That alone from time to time is enough for me. Now-a-days, Im an EMT and 1st Responder...and ny team-mates and Co-ordinators and employers..they know myself, my name, and of our music.

The internet is a complex entity of numbers, codes, letters...and crazies. A little info can provide a lot. But, I have shared info with some ATS'r privately on private off-site email...sometimes, Im cool with that...because really? From friend to friend or musician to musician, EMT to EMT, songwriter composer or author(Ive a few books written as well)...we are all the same.

It may be hard for some to understand not shouting things, songs, books and articles from the rooftops..but for me in this life? It is irrelevant to the person you are now, not necessarily who you were, nor how you got there. (Yes, our musical history has been written about over and over as we were shafted in receiving royalties for many years in the 1960s and into the late 70's).

Thank you so very much for asking. That alone means a lot...but if I can just advise, consult or warn one person here or there....then I feel Ive done something important...for them. And thats good enough for me.

You could always contact me privately here and down the line? Who knows? Ive made a few friends here whove respected and understood my privacy. I hope this somehow explains why I am this way. Ive never hidden, and am right here.

Best to you for being so kind...thanks again

MS

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: notquiteright

Thanks for asking...we were in the forefront of rock and roll. Please follow my complete reply to notquiteright above for a complete explanation.

Best, MS

edit on 11-7-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

No I totally understand you. I work in film here in Hollweird. I know how you feel. In your lifetime I am sure you have touched many people with your songs and books. I respect you for the honesty. I have some friends in bands and in the late 90's and early 2000 their music was stolen from bad people on the Internet.

As you know it still happens today. We produced a movie last year and someone somehow hacked and stole it and published on a movie site. Yes our lawyers took care of the problem but it still happens everyday. Your words are golden, thank you!

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I completely understand. Plus, since you have had some success at making it a career, sharing music online and speaking at length about it would probably be counter-productive anyway. I've been working on music for nearly 30 years and the only way to share my music is free online. Doesn't get a lot of listens, but I haven't got the good sense to give up.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

No you have to fulfill your dreams and goals. I am sure your music is awesome. Your a good person! I know your will succeed

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Thanks for the support. Really, though, I'm just happy to do it. Man, that sounds so cliche.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: notquiteright

I completely understand. Plus, since you have had some success at making it a career, sharing music online and speaking at length about it would probably be counter-productive anyway. I've been working on music for nearly 30 years and the only way to share my music is free online. Doesn't get a lot of listens, but I haven't got the good sense to give up.

Me too!

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Hey I am trying to be positive for you. Good luck! I mean it!

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Thank you, and I mean it. When I said "cliche" I meant what I said sounded cliche.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Links or it didn't happen.

Seriously, though, I'd like to check it out sometime. If you don't want to post it in the open forum, you could pm me a link.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Are you in LA?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   

No, never actually been to LA.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Hey...I got a movie deal story that involved "investors" and living down in Mexico for a year. These "investors" were interested...but only as a place to launder their $$$...they could care less if it ever got started, let alone out.

And one book sat in a publishers editing room south of London England for 2 years held up...then I find out he went belly up...and back came the book...still hung up today somewhere....I think management has said its sitting either in Belgium or Hamburg Germany....

Yep...we walk in strange lands with even stranger tales!
Thanks

Peace, MS

PS That book has got me a minimum $16,000 in the hole still...and not published yet...
edit on 11-7-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: notquiteright

Links or it didn't happen.

Seriously, though, I'd like to check it out sometime. If you don't want to post it in the open forum, you could pm me a link.

I'm more of a songwriter and then I let musicians take what I've done and let them have fun doing their own thing with the song. I've done this only for fun, though I'd like to break into the songwriting business professionally, its a bit of a challenge getting the contacts that I need. I can send you a couple links though of the people who worked on my stuff.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Send away. That sounds fun.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join