It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world's largest vertical farm is set to open in New Jersey this year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Science alert

Subtitle:

The future is now.

By Peter Dockrill
6JUL 2016

www.sciencealert.com...
Video at the above link, too.
And here:
www.sciencealert.com...

. . .
Set inside a 6,500-square-metre (70,000-square-foot) old steel mill, the new AeroFarms facility is located less than a kilometre from its current 2,800-square-metre site, but the roomier digs will enable significantly greater output of vertically farmed fresh produce.
With towering stacks of farming racks extending some 24 metres (80 feet) high, the company expects to harvest up to 900,000 kilograms (2 million pounds) of leafy greens annually.
. . .
The company says this system makes its farms 75 times more productive than a standard agricultural crop in a field.
. . .
In London, a vertical farming company set up shop in old abandoned World War II tunnels, while Germany is experimenting with miniature vertical farms that grow produce inside supermarkets.
Elsewhere in Europe, a sustainable villages development in the Netherlands is looking at incorporating vertical farms into miniature towns that source their own organic food.
. . .

I love this idea.
Sounds like they are making it work and work well.
I like the idea of growing veggies IN the supermarkets! What a riot. Couldn't get any fresher than that--unless you were growing it beside your kitchen or dining room table!!!
I like having the production closer to the consumer and using less water and electricity and/or other power to produce the same volume of food.
I certainly like the lack of pesticides.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I thought the future was this.

www.pharmpods.com...

www.growtainers.com...

I am not endorsing either of these companies.

Just the tech.
edit on 11-7-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN
Seems inevitable. Hope it works for the good of all.
Where do those bastards Monsanto fit in?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Those look like great options, too.

Do you have one?

I like greenhouses like these:

www.growingspaces.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

I'm glad you used bustards in the same sentence with the horrid M company. Otherwise, I prefer that company not be mentioned on my threads. LOL.

They can go chase a duck. Or worse.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Interesting but all this relates to indoor growing under lights, one huge advantage of outdoor growing is the suns energy is available freely. Where as the advantage of growing indoors means a controlled enviroment, but the costs are greater and it's entirely dependent on electricity. A greenhouse/polly tunnel gives you the advantages of both. I do like the vertical farming concept though, it can be achieved indoor or outdoors and take advantage of otherwise unused space.

Regards to farming/growing in general I believe permaculture is the way forward. Aqauponics also looks very interesting.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I've just seen that Grow dome in your link, I like the design concept, going to look into that a bit more.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Thanks.

I've been to their factory and show domes. They seem like very earnest people building a quality product.

I want to put one on top of very insulated concrete blocks sunk 5-8 feet into the soil. That would give the space a head start of 52-55 degrees or so. Then with high desert sun, it should be plenty. And that much headroom would allow for some tropical fruit trees.

top topics

join