It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question as a concerned new 'prepper'..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Hi folks.

I was reading ATS the other day, and I came across a story about Putin reprimanding the Western media for not reporting accurately on the inexorable tug of war, the creation of events & activities which will 'inevitably' lead towards a major war between Russia & traditional Western powers. Apparently this slow crawl to destructive face-off is being perpetrated by NATO, in particular with regards to US expansionism, etc.

As I read, I thought, "Well, I suppose it could be true - the evidence does appear to be in place - who is running the show?" So basically I started to take seriously the prospect that at some future point in time, perhaps a couple of years, perhaps a decade - we may well face the prospect of advanced warfare in Europe, and possibly elsewhere.

These conflicts are likely to be precision-led, with EMP weaponry being deployed to cripple infrastructure without overtly destroying it.

That prospect really hit home to me - what on earth would the nation (Britain) do in the event of something like that? While some may see it as irrelevant coincidence, I have, over the course of twenty years, experienced a series of vivid dreams which seemed, on reflection after the whole sequence of dreams were over, to point directly at such a prospect. As in, the infrastructure will be disabled, people will be stranded & fending for themselves.

Whether or not you believe in prophecy - I give it some respect in informing my choices, but only in a 'support role' to solid information from ordinary sources. Coupled with the information coming from Putin's tirade against the Western press, I figured it was perhaps finally time to start making preparations for an upcoming event, type unknown, duration of chaos unknown, but heck - I had no plans in place whatsoever, so anything I achieve in prepping from here on out will be of use if a significant event unfolds in Europe.

I began therefore to browse the web, copying links, creating a document of survival essentials & 'nice to haves'. Then I thought, at the end of a long day off writing this document - my search history may look like I'm preparing for Armageddon... My question is, would such a concentrated, intensive day of searching for survival items (including legal weaponry) show up in government watch centres? Would I be put on a list? It worries me, because I have no desire to end up in a hole somewhere, and of course I have no bad intentions with regards to the purchases I hope to make at some future point. Do the government take notice of intensive prepping searches online? Or are they content to let boys be boys..?

If anyone could offer words of wisdom, or even caution, I would most appreciate it.

Thanks ATS!

edit on JulyMonday1617CDT01America/Chicago-050025 by FlyInTheOintment because: clarification, phraseology

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Being on ATS, you are probably already on that list

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Ah yes, but I imagine there's gradations of list-making? I just don't want to end up on the naughty list when it isn't warranted...

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
you probably wont be put on a list unless you start buying huge amounts of gear...

First are you bugging in, or bugging out?

or a combination of the two...

stocking food, water purification tablets/filters, sleeping bags and tents are pretty easy to do and have the bonus of being dual purpose... if nothing happens you have stuff for camping/hiking.

If you are bugging in, check prevailing winds against of map of Nuke powered plants ... are you down wind... check some of the old cold war declassified maps about main targets for russia... are you down wind of them.

Where do you get your water, is that water source secure against contamination.

If you are bugging out, can you drive to where you want to go... or will you have to walk?

If walking how much can you carry and figure out how many miles/KM you will have to walk and then take a weekend and see how far you can get with a fully loaded pack. (do not skimp on a high quality backpack)

Is your go to spot safe from fallout... is your water supply safe from contamination..

Thats all I got at the moment...

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Good information, thanks. I've decided to start small & just procure items which I will find interesting/ useful for bushcraft with the kids, for example. Already got the tents, etc, but in my present situation we'd be forced to bug-in rather than out, because I'm disabled & have serious mobility issues.

As far as food & water goes, we'll be stocking up over the course of the next few months - we figure enough to last thirty days would be sufficient to start with, because within that time frame the authorities may have got evacuation plans & other civil defence measures in place, hence we'd be able to get support of some kind after that initial thirty days.

If we got to the end of the thirty days & still no prospect of rescue, well then I'd be undertaking foraging runs - I'd need to be weaponised in order to do so, simply because I can't stand & fight due to my disability. I'm thinking crossbow & paintball gun - paintball gun as a non-lethal deterrent, crossbow for life & death situations. Of course, here in Britain we can't own guns without a very specific legitimate purpose, such as pest control on a farm. Hence, no actual guns available for defence. I think the two items I've mentioned would be sufficient for self-preservation in the semi-urban environment I live in. It's quite good actually as we're a stone's throw from the town centre (mid-sized town, unlikely to be a primary target - also with the bonus of functioning WW2 underground shelters for the entire ppulation as necessary), but we're also a stone's throw from more countrified environs too, making temporary bug-out a possibility if absolutely necessary.

The housing in our area is literally a grid system of terraces, so clearly there's less chance of being targeted by roaming groups of looters, who would be more likely to fan out into the nearby suburbs to look for gear to pinch. As a nice supplement to whatever else we sort out prep-wise, we have a male German Shepherd who is an excellent guard-dog, totally unafraid of attackers (proven in a couple of awkward situations over the years) - we're planning to get a bitch GSD at Christmas too, so we'll definitely feel secure. For my older son, who is approaching 12 yrs, I've purchased a good quality catapult as his potential self-defence tool.. I wouldn't put the burden of self-defence on our younger son, who is only 7 yrs. Naturally we would simply work to protect him, alongside my wife (who is totally anti-weaponry, and probably would refuse to operate with any form of lethal arms - though I do have a bolo machete which she could wield quite well if push came to shove...)

So yeah, lots of thoughts whizzing round my noodle this evening. Hopefully I'm not on a list - I'll be purchasing slowly, as a bushcraft hobbyist, in essence - but ultimately I hope to have a reasonable chance of self-sufficiency (for a time) if the SHTF.

Thanks for the info,

FITO.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Do you have a veteran in the family if so get close to him. The regimental system the British Army has is very much a brotherhood they served together and trust each other. Most regiments have associations for veterans to keep in touch even more so now with social media. Should things start to go south then they will naturally be drawn together for protection and self preservation. They will make for obvious locations to reunite and importantly take family with them. Believe me the possibility is already being talked about

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

Make sure you verify its legal (yes some places in the states have made it illegal to store rain water), but look into Rain catcher barrels... if you have gutters on where you live its an easy way to keep a stock of treatable water on hand.

Xbow is great, another thing you might look at is called a slingbow, Ive got one you can get up to a 45 lbs draw on it which would be more than enough to take down small critters. I have one, there is a bit of a learning curve on them but they are small light weight and can quickly breakdown to a sling shot.

If you can find them, a stock of something along the lines of US MRE's is not a bad idea for if you have to make a run for it.
If you have a good freezer, look into bulk buys of rice and chicken... you can usually find that fairly cheaply in most western countries. (and spices rice and chicken gets bland fast)

Also find sandbags (just the bags) if things go south then you can fill them in the back yard or closest open lot and harden your home.

A shortwave that is either crank or solar powered or hand crank is a good idea so you can know if there is a pick up point close enough to evac to.

Vitamins, and general supplements are also a good idea.. just a way to help augment any stored foods.

Oh and wet naps... a thing many people forget is sanitation... as your diet gets out of whack sanitation will be even more important to keep you and your family from getting sick.

I feel you on the physical limitations, I have a bad back that should be limiting more than it is according to the doctors, eventually it is going to cause me some more problems and I will probably need surgery...

Not asking for what your issues are, but I would look into Yoga, or possibly tai chi as a way to strengthen your body as much as you can.

I am sure I will have other ideas... this past weekend was VERY good... and I am still feeling it... hangovers hurt more than they used to.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Oh and wet naps... a thing many people forget is sanitation... as your diet gets out of whack sanitation will be even more important to keep you and your family from getting sick.

Dysentery will kill most of the preppers....not the rampaging hordes..

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
1984 there was a movie called 'Threads' of just such an event as you fear.

www.youtube.com...

Frankly....... save the last bullet for yourself. When the super powers start lobbing nukes, the world as we know will never again exist.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
If it comes to the point prepping is a necessity then the government is that last thing you need to worry about.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Wouldn't worry about studying the topic in general. This forum itself has some decent material to look into. Data is tracked and categorized anyway for all, but at least you're a step ahead. Everyone should be a prepper as it is.

First rule of the elusive prep club is don't talk about the prep club. All info is stored and brought up if need be if you step on the wrong tentacles-these days that can be a FB page going against the grain of the current administration. That's likely less of a concern than the hordes if the SHTF knowing you're well stocked on supplies.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: redchad

That's an interesting thought. I do have a brother who was in the army, but he did two years, decided he hated it, but eventually stayed in for five before getting out. To be honest his heart wasn't in it, but there are reasons which may have caused this, it wasn't that he didn't know what he was getting into.

I personally wanted to join the military since forever, but my health has prevented it. I passed an interview for army intelligence a few years back, but again the health requirement means I wouldn't get through the basic infantry training necessary for anyone signing up. Unfortunately the only folk I know who are in the mil nowadays are people I've lost touch with since school, and it wouldn't do to be contacting them in this way.

I think my best bet, if I end up wanting assistance & joint protection, will be signing up to a prepper forum (there's a couple of good ones here in the UK by the look of things) and getting in contact with a few local preppers through that avenue. I am the sort of guy who doesn't mind being alone though, my situation in recent years has massively isolated me, but I don't really mind. It's nice to have friends, but I can get by without if needs be. I have the feeling that in a bug-in situation, it might be best to fly under the radar, keeping our heads low & simply biding our time until the situation becomes clearer.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Great info, thanks - especially the point about the shortwave radio - I hadn't thought of that. I will definitely invest in one at some point, it's now sitting there on my list of future purc hases..

edit on JulyTuesday1617CDT08America/Chicago-050013 by FlyInTheOintment because: spelling

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

First rule of the elusive prep club is don't talk about the prep club. All info is stored and brought up if need be if you step on the wrong tentacles-these days that can be a FB page going against the grain of the current administration. That's likely less of a concern than the hordes if the SHTF knowing you're well stocked on supplies.

That's more or less what I thought would be the case. Sure, they will probably just let us carry on, in a sense 'one less person to worry about' in a SHTF situation, but if ever there were another reason for dragging me into the dock, the prepping, and membership of ATS would almost certainly be used as character evidence against me.

Again, in our situation the idea would be to keep our heads down, to bug-in.. I won't be actively seeking local company in a SHTF scenario - besides, I don't expect there are many (any?) preppers near to where I'm living (it's too urban, and it's full of starter homes too). Keeping our heads down, with the weaponry & the dogs in position to defend ourselves if necessary, enough supplies to last a month - that's what I'm planning for. The hordes probably won't bother with us. That's the hope, anyway - all we can do is a reasonable amount of preparation to survive & defend ourselves. The details of the actual situation on the ground at the time are in God's hands.

The only major problem I would have is medication. I've decided to start slightly reducing my medication intake on a daily basis, so as to save up some rations of meds over the coming months, which would be for use in a SHTF emergency. Otherwise, I could be in a horrible situation very quickly. Both the increased levels of pain, and the withdrawal effects of sudden cessation of meds, would be a killer, were I to be unable to fill my weekly prescription. (It's a complex & weighty script for serious pain management..)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Buy survival stuff with cash. Not a paper trail.

It really isn't too much harder than that.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

Dont be afraid to broach the subject with folks, you may be surprised... was at the mechanics one day and struck up a conversation with an older guy... looked and sounded like a died in the wool 60's era hippie.. I touched lightly on the subject of prepping I got a 2 hour dissertation on how to survive.

I am not suggesting that you get out there and try to organize 200 people... that will put you on a list, but family... close friends... talk about camping together, encourage them to pick up some gear to do so and make it a big weekend outing... something that gets them out of their normal routine.

Have a few pints... and just touch on it, sketch your concerns... then just watch their faces..I bet a few of them will have a serious look... and when someone inevitably laughs... laugh with them.

You never know who will be sharing your same fears, people working together can gather gear much easier than 1... also you are concerned about your youngun's, a few more adult bodies you trust can help keep your kids from taking that step before its necessary for them to grow up.

Anyway you understand your situation best, I will warn... some people will start thinking your a touch odd if you do talk about it... personally I wear it like a badge of honor.

But I would absolutely check out the prepper forums, and if you get comfortable with them meet and have a few drinks, it never hurts to have a few people around that you can trust that have some preps in place.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I just crack a joke about a zombie apocalypse, and see where it goes from there.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

A zombie apocalypse?

It'd be impossible for me to say I wouldn't find that somewhat exciting...

Seriously though...

Prepping is easy. Lots of work, but it's straight forward. Pay cash, if you're worried about paper trail. Do it yourself, it can be fun learning new skills.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
It sounds like your Achilles heel is your medications.
That's a toughie, at least here in the US due to lack of availability.
It's possible you could get some veterinary meds that are similar.
It's probably illegal to grow poppy plants of the useful kind but if seeds can be found..

Beyond that learn the basics of survival before you start prepping and end up buying stuff you don't need and failing to get what you do. Bugging in at home could be a boring time, be sure to have good books to read, games, cards, etc. For light we use the solar yard lights, charge them outside then bring them in when it's dark.

I could go on forever about this stuff but I would reiterate about your meds being your biggest issue, you can't afford to be sick from withdrawal during an emergency situation.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
While zombies are probably the most unlikely scenario...it is kind of mainstream these days, in movies and TV...so people can easily identify with it.

Also, the neat thing about it, is that prepping for zombies is basically all-encompassing...

Protections against:
biologics
other survivors
grid failure
lack of resources
etc., etc.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join