It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New law nets 3 private background checks at Va. gun show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

For the first time since a state law took effect earlier this month, Virginia State Police were providing voluntary background checks for gun sales between private parties at a gun show in Richmond.

Washington Post

I'm really glad private sellers have access to the background check system finally and apparently it only cost $2. That's a hell of a deal if the guy interested in your gun is kinda sketchy. I've always been for allowing private sellers access to the database without making it mandatory and at only $2 per check, it's practically free, at least in Virginia.

Sorry not a lot to add as the article itself is only 5 sentences long. Hopefully some discussion will ensue.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: thov420

I can't see any downside to this. If I was selling to a stranger, I'd prefer to know he's squared away and not a loon.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I can't see any downside to this. If I was selling to a stranger, I'd prefer to know he's squared away and not a loon.
I'm a pretty hardcore defender of the second amendment and I agree with you.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
And the price is right too, although free would be a better incentive. Just saying.

If you are doing a private sale and the buyer agrees with the background check, I think the battle is already half won. It's the ones who would not agree with it that I would be concerned about.

If anything, it's a more than reasonable filter to be sure.

I am also a second amendment fundamentalist to the core, but this I can compromise on because it makes sense.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'd feel pretty good about some dude I met on at a bar conducting a background check on me to sell me a firearm.

A lot better than I'd feel having a corporation do it- that's for sure.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Thanks all for the comments. I think this is an in-between measure both sides can get behind, maybe?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
FINE with me I have NO record at all,nor tickets.
Never have been caught.
If they start digging through my VA docs we have a problem called HIPPA .

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Just from a peace of mind standpoint I would not have an issue with this and you obviously know my stance on the Second Amendment.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I don't disagree with this, so long as it remains voluntary.

I've sold guns via a face-to-face private sale before, and I always require a bill of sale, state ID, and a concealed carry permit. Never had a problem with a buyer presenting said items or filling out a bill of sale.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

That's a great idea, except maybe the CCW if you're selling a long gun, for all sellers to follow. That way if SHTF you have a record of who now owns your old gun.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Ive had to pay $20 for checks in the past to former employers!!

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

You had to pay for employers to run background checks on you? Dang.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I did, one a temp agency and twice for local government offices

top topics

join