It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Relying on technology be dangerous?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Could relying on too much technology be dangerous? I mean alot of the world now uses some sort of technology like a mobile phones, computers, internet,sky, digital t.v or some sort of digital device and I feel we're going over board with the technology available to us. I mean we are very dependant on big computer companies like microsoft and the more we rely on them, the more likely there could be a disaster if sommat went totally wrong there end, shut down or the internet had a massive virus attack. We've become quite relyant on technology and if it was taken away tomorrow it could really shell shock us!

What do you reckon the effects would be like?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
It is not just relying on technology that can cause problems. Too much reliance on anything will end up leading to problems.

How many people out there believe that the hamburger they eat everyday just comes from the supermarket and not a cow. If supermarkets went away, how many people could actually raise and slaughter beef for themselves?

What is even worse is that today, too many people have total reliance on what they hear in 10 second sound bites on TV and have totally lost the ability to listen, think and reason for themselves.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Both of you have made some great points... I have alot to add but unfortuanately I have to get back to work... but excellent topic

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kahuna
What is even worse is that today, too many people have total reliance on what they hear in 10 second sound bites on TV and have totally lost the ability to listen, think and reason for themselves.

If the majority of the population have lost the ability to listen, think and reason for themselves, then the other 10 percent would be deemed quacks.

As for technology being dangerous, that's just the most ridiculous thing that I've ever heard. Overall technology is dangerous to some as the iq levels of those that use it will increase, leaving behind those that don't.

**Personal experience: I had once many gigabytes of files, and this was btw on a 52K modem. Then one day, my computer wasn't starting up. You could only imagine how I felt. Yes in that way technology is dangerous. Lifes work can be gone by the stroke of bad luck.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
It's like anything else, there is a risk involved.

It gives potential advantage, but it can breakdown/fall apart. As a backup it is a good idea to know how things work.
If you have some idea how things work you will know if a repair person is scr*wing you over. Also with some simple repairs you can do them yourself and save some money.

I know i am totally dependant on current technology infrastructure. Without it I would probably die. But who knows, maybe we can come up with something if everything falls apart.

It is a good reason for every child to understand the basics of science and technology.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I did an experiment with my wife and daughter the other day. After the tsunami in Indonesia.

I pointed to a muddy, oily puddle on the street. "Drink it," I said.

My wife knows me well. She just smiled. My daughter began protesting wildly.

"There is a way to drink it safely. I will teach you."

We proceeded to learn about Native means of water treatment and purification. Using low tech means such as clay pots, sand, and charcoal.

Then we learned to make fire, using nothing but pieces of wood, leather and dry grass.

My daughter already understands how to plant corn, make jerky, tamarindo, and mazapan. And how to spin yarn, and crochet.

Technology is great. Without it, we will die as a species from cosmic impact. But you need to know how to make food, water, clothing and fire without it. At least. Just in case.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Just look at diabetics, they need medical science to survive without the infrastructure they would certainly die.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The massive power outage which occurred in the summer of 2003 affecting most of New York and other parts of the USA as well as Ontario Canada was a major eye-opener for me.

www.cnn.com...

It left us who experienced it, without power for anywhere from several hours to several days. It was during this time I realised I had no cash on me (I pay with a debit card everywhere I shop). I also realised that even if I had cash there were few places open where I could spend it.

I became concerned with how long the power would be out, what my family would do once the food in our refrigerator began to spoil, etc.

I have since learned to be more prepared, but even still you can only prepare so far ahead. Still scares me when I think of the implications of a 'real' longer term disaster.

Great post

--Evil--

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The Blackout scared you? I guess if you didn't have any cash on you(and no way to get more) then I'd be bit worried but scared? Not in my hood at least. I enjoyed the Blackout emminesly as it was a great time for stargazing/shooting star spoting. I believe that was a wakeup call to alot of people as well, and already there is work being done to upgrade the system so this will not happen again(whatever it is that triggered it, I do not buy the "Tree fell on transformer, HV powerline story, its too "out there" for me.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
We are already too dependant on technology already. Most people (including myself) have no idea how to survive in a colder environment like Canada or Northern United States. The major three services that are essential technologies might be considered electricity, water services and Oil / Gas services, without those luxuries North America would be a very different place.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
The Blackout scared you? I guess if you didn't have any cash on you(and no way to get more) then I'd be bit worried but scared? Not in my hood at least. I enjoyed the Blackout emminesly as it was a great time for stargazing/shooting star spoting. I believe that was a wakeup call to alot of people as well, and already there is work being done to upgrade the system so this will not happen again(whatever it is that triggered it, I do not buy the "Tree fell on transformer, HV powerline story, its too "out there" for me.

I think I said I was "Concerned" but whatever.
Actually I went home and BBQ'd a steak that afternoon and proceeded to drink the beer I had in the fridge (didn't want THAT to spoil).

I do totally agree regarding your stance on "whatever it was that triggered it". Media was WAY too quick to say that it was NOT caused by an "act of terrorism" (That statement was made within minutes of the lights going out) - and yet nobody had a clue what caused it - so how could they possibly say that.

But I digress. Point being that it does not hurt to think ahead about what you would do in case of unexpected loss of essential service(s).

--Evil--

top topics

join