It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the purpose of blocking a street/highway?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

my exact words during phone call -
me: hi i was calling to find out what kind of permit i need to block off a street for a protest
lady: oh im not sure hmmm lemme get you over to someone that knows about that one moment
me: thanks
new lady : how can i help you
me: yes hi, i was calling to see what kind of permit i would need to close down a street for a protest
lady: well im pretty sure you need to fill out the same permit you would need if you were holding a block party, do you know what dates and what streets need to be blocked?
me: yes i do
lady: okay im going to give you a phone number to the zoning board, they will be able to tell you if the time and area you wish to block off is permissable.
me: thank you
lady: (gives number)
me: have a good one

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
AugustusMasonicus

Any particular reason you feel the need to resort to ad hominem insults?

"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." --Socrates

Why bother posting crap like that? Both sides have called each other names and slandered each other. Lucidity was calling everyone cowards on page two.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: nobunaga

Liberals have picked the constitution apart and used it for reasons it was never intended to be used for. Amnesty for illegal aliens for example. Gay marriage, etc...

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Thanks... What step did I miss?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

yes im whining and complaining .
i dont think its right for a protest or rally to block off a street/road/highway/entrance, and to block movement of emergency personnel.
protests are a lot like women. they come in different shapes, sizes, colors, and sometimes they are very loud and obnoxious. its hard enough to control large crowds of people.

i see no reason at all... for a protest, to turn into a we are blocking this entire highway so nobody can get through event.
i see no reason for people to protest a political candidate, and in turn, try and block the street so nobody can get into, or leave the event. we live in a time where this is happening almost weekly. and i believe it needs to stop.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Typical answer... You don't want to admit that it's wrong to block major highways, etc so you'll call me queasy for hoping you or your family never end up stuck in traffic due to protests and die in the ambulance after it has to turn around and find another route. One that isn't blocked. Wouldn't want your fellow lefties calling you a coward or racist.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: nobunaga
a
lady: well im pretty sure you need to fill out the same permit you would need if you were holding a block party, do you know what dates and what streets need to be blocked?

'I'm pretty sure' is not an acceptable answer.

I just spoke with one of my Councilmen at length and your are required to file a permit if it is a static event. I will go confirmation on Monday when this other person returns.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Right there with ya on that one.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
Typical answer... You don't want to admit that it's wrong to block major highways, etc so you'll call me queasy for hoping you or your family never end up stuck in traffic due to protests and die in the ambulance after it has to turn around and find another route. One that isn't blocked. Wouldn't want your fellow lefties calling you a coward or racist.

'My fellow lefties'? I am not a Democrat, we have been over this before.

And, no, I do no think blocking public thoroughfares is wrong, just like I do not think calling out your government is wrong or petitioning for grievances or expecting due process. In short I do no think expecting to have all of your rights as enumerated in the Constitution is wrong. It is not a goddamn Chinese menu where you get to pick some from Column A and some from Column B, it is an all or nothing situation.

edit on 11-7-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer but at least he is not a religious nutter

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

And you shouldn't be able to order from column A if you're going to potentially cause danger to others lives. You're on the same side as democrats when it comes to this # so you'll have to excuse me for calling you a duck when you quacked like one.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
You're on the same side as democrats when it comes to this # so you'll have to excuse me for calling you a duck when you quacked like one.

I am on the same side as Jefferson, Madison, Adams and Monroe.

The Constitution is not a sometimes document that we adhere to when it makes us all warm and fuzzy, it requires sacrifice and fortitude, something that they had and demonstrated.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
LSU0408

Because I can express my opinion without having to worry about who I upset.

Lucidity didn't directly insult anyone by manipulating their username.

Either way, I can post what I like as it tickles my fancy, if you don't like it, sorry not sorry.

My opinion is that this thread (and those like it) are just cherry picking. Would you all be crying about these protesters blocking streets if they were protesting a cause with which you agreed?

Of course, most of you would say 'yes' but the truth is, no, no you wouldn't.

I support the people's rights to assemble regardless of cause.

Just like you have the right to disagree and I support that too. Freedom of speech is a two way street, dig?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
LSU0408

Well, some of us are too aware of the games played by elitist pigs to be swayed by asinine bi-partisan rhetoric, crazy, I know but that is the case.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
First of all, protesting on the street (not linking arms and blocking a highway) is a normal protest. Blocking a highway is probably an attempt to get news coverage / get noticed.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Every single time black lives matters or some protest involving african americans is marching or protesting, they end up linking arms, and blocking a highway. What the hell good does this do? its the dumbest thing i have seen from these protesting groups.

Shooting people in cold blood is okay, though...

Do the ends justify the means? Because that is what it seems you are advocating with that reply...

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
Because I can express my opinion without having to worry about who I upset.

Something tells me you are probably not a heterosexual white male then...

Either way, I can post what I like as it tickles my fancy, if you don't like it, sorry not sorry.

Hmm, what about the T&Cs of this website? What about the laws of the country in which you live? Do they simply not apply to you because you can "post what you like"?

My opinion is that this thread (and those like it) are just cherry picking. Would you all be crying about these protesters blocking streets if they were protesting a cause with which you agreed?

I cannot speak for others, but even if there were a cause I felt strongly about, I would NOT condone protesting with the intention of inconveniencing others. People also have a right not to have their personal space invaded by others.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
To pick a fight, so you can show off the victims,when they get beat.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

As far as if it was a protest I agreed with... if they caused a delay on the response of emergency vehicles causing loss of life or property I would want the leaders arrested.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Dark Ghost

Haha, nice one!

Something tells me you are probably not a heterosexual white male then...

Nope, I'm as white as they come and a father of four. I'm down with the ladies. Why, you looking for a date?

I just don't censor myself based on the sensibilities of other people. You do?

Hmm, what about the T&Cs of this website? What about the laws of the country in which you live? Do they simply not apply to you because you can "post what you like"?

Actually, I have been reprimanded very few times here. I still post what I like but I do so within the limits of T&Cs. Why? Did I post something that breaks them? Well, I'll just let staff handle that.

I cannot speak for others, but even if there were a cause I felt strongly about, I would NOT condone protesting with the intention of inconveniencing others. People also have a right not to have their personal space invaded by others.

That's what's so fun about opinions! We all have them and they are all different to one degree or another.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

i air on the side of morals...
i am not a religious person, im not a political person, but i air on the side of whats right. i air on the side of common sense.
the bible doesnt tell me whats right and whats wrong
a 240 year old document doesnt tell me whats right and whats wrong
some idiot from a secret club doesnt tell me whats right and wrong

common sense does. its wrong to block ambulances, fire trucks, police vehicles, from getting where they need to go, just because you have an opinion

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join