It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town or Country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
A question for my fellow ATSrs: If you could get a house for a low enough price that you could buy it straight out with cash, where would you do so?

My inclination is to find a very small town that has very low crime and a decent infrastructure. While I am fond of the idea of homesteading and generating my own electricity and collecting my own rain water, that sounds too much like work. I am the type of person who would rather work for one hour on-line, take the money earned, walk to the grocery store, buy a month’s supply of frozen vegetables, and then work two more hours to pay for the electricity, rather than toil all spring and summer for about the same yield from a garden. Also I hate the idea of having to drive long distances every time I need stuff.

Or would you absolutely not do that and would go with homesteading? If so, why would you do that? I am trying to live free and on my own terms, but will like to avoid a life that was dull-dirty-exhausting-and-dangerous if at all possible.

A little bit of background:

I already work in computers and have been slowly but surely developing a set of technical skills that will, with some further work, I think allow me to earn an income remotely via the internet.

If my economic needs went way down (like what would happen if I suddenly eliminated a mortgage and the cost of commuting), I would not care if my income did as well. What is more important to me is the have the time and freedom to pursue my own interests.

I am already quite used to living in a relatively small town (I currently live about an hour “out” from a major metropolitan area). I am not a city dweller who has no idea what they are in for. I already live “out” and am, for several reasons, interested in living even further “out.”

So what would you do if you had the choice? Town or country? Or is there something else I am not even thinking of?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
'Town or Country' is so passé, these days we discuss the merits of living in a tent or a van.

Just remember your bucket.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
You could save more money and that would put more in prospective on what you really want and live.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: olddognewtricks
I grew up in a very small country village; problems being lack of facilities and lack of public transport to the places where the facilities were.
I have spent far too much time in a metropolis; problems being noisy and crowded.

I never felt I could afford a mortgage, but when my father died I found myself in the position of your OP. With my half of the proceeds of his house, I could afford to pay cash on a house of my own.

I chose the compromise of the suburban part of a small town. Peaceful (the dogs next door start barking on the rare occasions when people walk past outside holding a conversation). Food shop two minutes walk away, town centre twenty minutes walk, railway station thirty minutes walk.
I think this has been the best of both worlds.

edit on 11-7-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I've lived in large cities and I've lived in small towns and I will take the small town over the city 1000 to 1.
Almost no crime and what there is, are small offenses. Quiet. By 9:00, I can hear a dog bark across town. There's no need to drive long distances, everything you need is right here. Grocery stores, gas stations, hardware stores etc...all in a town of 3,000. I have a large yard, with a garden, fruit trees, strawberries, raspberries... I like to grow things, but you wouldn't have to go that route. Home prices are much lower than in a city and you get more land included. Lower utility prices too.
Police, Ambulance and Fire services are fast. I can have a cop at my house, even for a non emergency, in less than 5 minutes. The cops and fire fighters are invested in the community. They live here and know pretty much everybody.
Go for the country. You'll thank me later.

ETA - I have an internet hub 6 blocks from me, so my internet is fast and I only have a "middle of the road" plan. 25mb per second for a bit under $50. I can watch a movie on TV, a different show on my tablet and another show on my phone, all while my son is playing games online with friends, with no lag.
edit on 11-7-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Very cool.

I live in a Virginia town of about 14000, isolated from other population centers (meaning we are the largest town in the county, the rest of the county being pretty much unpopulated).

That said, 3000 sounds even better!

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It really depends how old you are. If you are fairly young and healthy then you can go anywhere. But the older you get there is a chance you might need help, like emergency health help.
We all think that we will be healthy and fit til we die, but the majority of people age badly and if you have an emergence you do not want to be living an hour or two from a hospital as time is the biggest killer.
I'm sorry if I've put a dampener on your thouhgts.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Exactly! Young people don't look into the future, though things could happen at any age. I say small town, where I am close enough to a hospital and my Doctors and stores etc.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Yup. I still have small kids at home so living where I can quickly get to a hospital is definitely big on my list of reasons for choosing a small town over living in the middle of nowhere.

new topics

top topics

join