It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

religious leaders and sermons and LGBT topics

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

So you just ignore his points...gotcha.
Enjoy but the fact remains you can be gay and christian.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

OP at the end of the day some churches/places of worship do not have a problem with it. More and more are understanding and it will be the norm or as we are seeing those which do not are getting rejected by the young...their future.
If they want to stay in business they have to get with the times.
Just like they did with slavery.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
@Raggedyman.

Whose this Jim Jones? never heard of him.

I do believe in God and consider him a "friend" as he's helped me throughout my life (without judgement) whatever i believe/do. He's showed me many things (good and bad).. DarkvsLight if you know what i mean..I just don't choose to judge anyone for what they believe in or preach to them trying to change minds,, Only they can do such things through awakening or soul searching and find where they wish to be and believe in.

I updated my post before you posted yours, have a read and get back to me if you wish.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

Ignore his points
He had none

Listen, if you like YouTube, go do some research on YouTube about why Christianity and homosexuality don't mix
You won't listen to me, that'd obvious, I won't waste my time or yours

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

Ignore his points
He had none

Listen, if you like YouTube, go do some research on YouTube about why Christianity and homosexuality don't mix
You won't listen to me, that'd obvious, I won't waste my time or yours

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
@Raggedyman.

Whose this Jim Jones? never heard of him.

I do believe in God and consider him a "friend" as he's helped me throughout my life (without judgement) whatever i believe/do. He's showed me many things (good and bad).. DarkvsLight if you know what i mean..I just don't choose to judge anyone for what they believe in or preach to them trying to change minds,, Only they can do such things through awakening or soul searching and find where they wish to be and believe in.

I updated my post before you posted yours, have a read and get back to me if you wish.

Jim jones is why people should not trust religios leaders, google is your friend

I believe God wants one thing from humanity, relationship, love
I don't like to judge people but I know for my own safety I have to make a judgement call at times
I believe preaching to people is a waste of time also to a degree, I think Christianity must first be relational

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

I pretty regularly attended church growing up until I left for college.

LGBT was not an issue, no one was concerned about anything having to do with it. I don't ever remember anything touching on the subject in any sermon our pastor gave and he was an old school, fire and brimstone guy.

I think the closest we ever got was maybe a sermon that touched on Lot and his wife.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I have a gay friend who is the pastor of a church. I don't know what he preaches, I've never been to his church. I know his parishioners are mostly supportive of him but I think there has been some negativity from a few of the older members.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Just in case some don't know...Here are some of the biblical scriptures that anti-LGBT preachers should avoid.

Daniel 1:8
But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.

9 Now God had brought Daniel into favour and tender love with the prince of the eunuchs.

1 Samuel 18:1
And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.

2 And Saul took him that day, and would let him go no more home to his father's house.

3 Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul.

4 And Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was upon him, and gave it to David, and his garments, even to his sword, and to his bow, and to his girdle.

Ruth 1:14
And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.

15 And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.

16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:

17 Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

^^^^The above oath is still used in wedding ceremonies to this day, but it was first spoken on behalf of same sex love.

Mark 14:48
And Jesus answered and said unto them, Are ye come out, as against a thief, with swords and with staves to take me?

49 I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and ye took me not: but the scriptures must be fulfilled.

50 And they all forsook him, and fled.

51 And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:

52 And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.

53 And they led Jesus away to the high priest: and with him were assembled all the chief priests and the elders and the scribes.

Yeah! Why did they wait to arrest Jesus until he and the disciples were communing with a naked young man? Hmmmm

edit on 11-7-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Just in case some don't know...Here are some of the biblical scriptures that anti-LGBT preachers should avoid.

Daniel 1:8
But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.

9 Now God had brought Daniel into favour and tender love with the prince of the eunuchs.

1 Samuel 18:1
And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.

2 And Saul took him that day, and would let him go no more home to his father's house.

3 Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul.

4 And Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was upon him, and gave it to David, and his garments, even to his sword, and to his bow, and to his girdle.

Ruth 1:14
And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.

15 And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.

16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:

17 Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

^^^^The above oath is still used in wedding ceremonies to this day, but it was first spoken on behalf of same sex love.

Mark 14:48
And Jesus answered and said unto them, Are ye come out, as against a thief, with swords and with staves to take me?

49 I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and ye took me not: but the scriptures must be fulfilled.

50 And they all forsook him, and fled.

51 And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:

52 And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.

53 And they led Jesus away to the high priest: and with him were assembled all the chief priests and the elders and the scribes.

Yeah! Why did they wait to arrest Jesus until he and the disciples were communing with a naked young man? Hmmmm

That's so clever but such an ignorant lie
Greek and Hebrew use different words for different types of love
Eros is erotic love
Agape is a paternal love, holy
Phillia, like brotherly, sisterly love, non sexual
Storage, maternal paternal

You need to read the context and meaning

Hebrew has different words for love not associated with sex like modern English

You fail completely, or at least your chosen link you ripped it off from did

I just can't believe how naive you can be when it comes to preaching your version and brand of christianity, it's just a perversion to justify your argument

Strawman and quote mining way out of context slapped with no comprehension of the root words
Just a complete failure to engage on anything but a childish level, giggling like school girls

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Pisses you off that same sex relationships are recorded positively in the Bible. does it?

Let me ask you this....."If Ruth's love was merely sisterly love, why is her oath used in marriage ceremonies?

There's more, but don't bite off more than you can chew!

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Awen24

Check out notalllikethat.org and the video about the bible and homosexuality . I think it's a very insightful interpretation of what was said in the new testament and the context of which it was said.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I think this thread is a revelation of picking and choosing.

I don't think there's a clear answer, and religious freedom give people the rights to interpret writings in any way which helps their allegiance. I guess Ruth was a lez, and the disciples had a naked boy at some point (per comments above)

so, now then, if there's ambiguity in the bible verses about same sex stuff, the same will inevitably be the case for other topics in the the future.

I.e. I'm sure verses for pedophiles, sex before marriage,killing, etc...
this may not be as far fetched as it sounds.
edit on 11-7-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Ruth was so much a lesbian that she married Boaz? Naomi, btw, was her mother-in-law, not her lover. Ruth's first husband was one of Naomi's grown sons by her husband. Both of them were widows, Naomi young and Ruth old, old enough to have grown sons. So if Ruth and Naomi were in a lesbian relationship, it would have also been incestuous in Biblical terms and Boaz would have not had anything to do with her.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

The Bible is a book that is 100% open to whatever interpretation you can think of. Just about every reader of the Bible picks and chooses the verses that they think apply and are most important while ignoring ones that they disapprove of. This includes the preachers as well.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

same sex relationships are recorded positively in the Bible

The bible says to kill homosexuals. Does that sound even remotely positive to you????

Quite sickening really.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

The Bible is a book that is 100% open to whatever interpretation you can think of. Just about every reader of the Bible picks and chooses the verses that they think apply and are most important while ignoring ones that they disapprove of. This includes the preachers as well.

quoted for truth.

I have religious friends, and lgbt friends. unfortunately believe it or not, this is probably the only topic I have discussed where online responses are more civil than offline responses

no side wants to here what Krazysh0t said. but that's the honest truth. and that goes all 'holy' scriptures

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: secretboss

The bible says to kill homosexuals. Does that sound even remotely positive to you????

The bible says to kill a lot of people and condemns a lot of behavior that is accepted now days by mainstream Christians.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ruth was so much a lesbian that she married Boaz? Naomi, btw, was her mother-in-law, not her lover.

You think that retort is logical? Do you know what the "B" in LGTB stands for? Do you think there were a lot of Hebrew lesbians "out" in those days, refusing to marry men? What do you suppose was going on in those harems when the men were gone for months on end?

So if Ruth and Naomi were in a lesbian relationship, it would have also been incestuous in Biblical terms and Boaz would have not had anything to do with her.

BS! Ruth and Naomi weren't blood related. Ruth, because her husband, Naomi's son died, would have been forced to marry one of Naomi's other sons, if they were alive, as was Jewish tradition. Instead of going home to her parents, she "married" her mother in Law. That's why the oath is still used in marriage ceremonies today!

edit on 11-7-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

you two can make a new thread on debauchery that went on in harems and bi biblical women.

my questions were answered, as I already had a feeling on such.
religion = politics
manipulation of laws for gains, agenda, self empowerment, self reassurance.

cheers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join