It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

laws don't deter criminals.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Aristotelian1

No, I'm giving my opinion on why I disagree with your conclusion and initial hypothesis. I don't have to specifically address points in your argument to make a reasoned disagreement with your conclusion.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

No, I'm giving my opinion on why I disagree with your conclusion and initial hypothesis. I don't have to specifically address points in your argument to make a reasoned disagreement with your conclusion.
Actually, you do. Because if my premises are correct then the conclusions are correct. Again, right now you are just saying "nu-uh."

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Sure laws deter criminals.

If we didn't, the bigots, racists and extremists in this country would be carrying out ISIS-like attacks.

Really, the only thing that keeps these armchair activists from committing acts of violence are the consequences...fear of the legal system.

In parts of the Middle East, you won't go to prison for throwing a gay man off a roof. You won't get the death penalty for killing a handful of people.

In America you would be arrested, tried, and either locked away or executed.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aristotelian1

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Actually, you do. Because if my premises are correct then the conclusions are correct. Again, right now you are just saying "nu-uh."

The premise isn't correct though. It's a strawman. For the third time now the left isn't trying to ban guns only restrict them.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

There are two, sometimes three reasons to create laws. Deterrence. Retaliation. And sometimes rehabilitation.

In response to your argument, crime happens so deterrence is not 100%. However look at places with stricter laws such as loss of a hand for theft. Thier theft rate is so low. Although I'm sure a lot of people are upset about it; and does not contribute to a stable society.

But yes, the reason I do not commit crimes is because the possibility of punishment outweighs the benefits of the crime. Such is the intent of creating a good law.

Going back to the mental issues- the disconnect within the individual renders consequences(punishment of law) irrelevant.

So I agree but your second argument is a bit hyperbole and suggests we as a society should nullify all laws..

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: Mianeye

HOWEVER with that being said there needs to be some sort of mental screening before these people can get guns. It's already been shown a good chunk of shooters have mental issues. Me personally? I cannot understand why such measures don't ALREADY EXIST

Since mental illness develops over time, I mean that crazy people are not born crazy, how often do you test everyone?
Every year?
Every day?

No...you give everyone guns and wait for Darwin to sort it out....

I asked a serious question, hoping for a serious answer.
Since I didn't get one, what am I left to think?
Maybe my question was too difficult.

Sadly it was a serious answer, there are far too many illegal guns in the U.S so even if a person failed a psyche test and could not legally own a weapon it would not stop said person from getting a hold of one......

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

If you don't think Laws deter Criminal Activity then you must be in favor of removing all laws and living in a completely lawless society, is that correct???

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Isn't that what makes them criminals? People who commit crimes or break laws? Haha

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
If you don't think Laws deter Criminal Activity then why aren't there more people openly posting threats to Obama??? (For Example)

We all know there are many many people out there that hate him and make private threats within safe groups that would love to say those threats publicly. Even if they didn't plan on doing them, they would still love to say them out loud and publicly for everyone to hear about and to inflate their egos or just to say it. So why don't we see them all over the internet or other public places???

Maybe because it's illegal to so and they don't want to get arrested for doing it????

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join