It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joining Army, Any advice?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I tried getting into the army back in 1974.I passed all of my tests
and a few days before shipping out to basic discovered that I was
pregnant!
My advice is don't stop taking your birth-control pills before enlisting.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Remember you don't know how to drive a truck. Don't go near the kitchen, unless you want more KP. Get in with the right crowd.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

you will definitely stand out when you go to boot camp. but it will be to your advantage.
you will probably make rank faster or have more collateral duties than say a 23 year old soldier fresh out of his dad's basement looking to have crazy drunken times. so you've probably done all the crazy things you wanted to do by now.(hopefully.
)
----
I joined at 27 USN , made E5 in 1 year, got all my quals faster than some E6's, and I stood senior eng watch etc.
it also helped I had a degree already. being at your age, you'll be expected not to partake in immature shenanigans, and be held a higher standard, and may be put in supervisory roles (not rank specific)

good luck man.
'don't be that guy'

edit on 10-7-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Everyone here will hate me-but don't join-especially under this administration. When you join the military you sign away all your freedoms as a citizen. Our vets are not treated well and respected as they used to be.

My nephew joined the Navy, after me begging him all night not to, and I mean all night, one month before 9/11. He said he felt much safer on a destroyer. I sobbed.

Now my other nephew joined the Army reserves a year ago and is heading to Afganishtan in August. He was in college. They messed up his pay and have never given him the opportunities they promised.

Sorry to say all this-I was in USO in the 70s and heard many horrible Viet Nam stories which I have never forgotten.

Just don't believe everything they promise you.

I pray this is a good decision for you. Vets have a very high unemployment rate after discharge so be sure to learn a skill and grab as much education as you can.

Again, I am sorry to say these things-just felt I had to.

Best wishes and thank you for doing what I never could.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

MOS 25B

MOS 25B

MOS 25B

That is all.
edit on 10-7-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
First of all, Thanks for serving.

Remember this always...

ATTENTION TO DETAIL !!! you might hear this once or twice, especially in "boot".

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Hello friend tataman.

My friend was in the army and he was trained for IT. He was smart like you and went up the ranks. He is now out and has a great job at Apple here in Califorinia. He said at first it's hard like everything else. He looks back and is a proud person for serving and having the chance to improve his life.

I know you and your a strong person with a desire to be the best.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
my best advice: don't.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I'm a marine.

Join the air force. As an officer. After college. And pick a good career path. Do 20 then retire with 50%for life. Use your va status to get a business loan. Go back to college with the gi bill within ten years of separation or lose it. Buy a home after your business can afford it.

Pay your bills. Always.

Don't marry the first person you meet. For the love of god, wait until you are successful.

Work hard to be perfect in your job and lessen the amount of work for your fellow airmen.

Do not follow unlawful orders. Remember your oath to the constitution. You will never be free of that oath. Never forget that.

Boot camp is nothing. You graduated? Congratulations, you didn't quit when you got cold.

Be humble and strong.

Semper Fi.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
remember that basic training isn`t going to be forever (thought it might feel like it sometimes) it`s just 8 or 12 weeks,then things get a lot better.
be prepared to hurry up and wait,double time it over to the doctor just to stand in line with everybody else for 2 hours waiting to get vaccinated.whatever you do don`t ask " why did we have to run all the way over here just to stand in line?"
once your training is all done being in the military is just like having a civilian job,you work 8 hours and when you get off work your time is yours to do with what you want.At least that`s the way it was for me in the Air Force during peacetime,it might be different being in the army during a time of war like we have now.

Hopefully when you get out of the army you`ll never have a need to go to the V.A. because, yeah, the V.A. really does suck.
edit on 10-7-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-7-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Don't deal with the cia.

yeah

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Any injuries you sustain, even a sprained ankle or chronic headaches make sure you get it documented. Don't try to man up, I had to jump through hoops to get compensation on injuries I sustained that had permanent consequences. They will do everything they can to deny you at the VA.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I don't know anything about the Army but I just want to wish you well.

And I think you'll do fine. Take care!

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: olaru12

That or navy. Why no love for the army? Whats up with that?

Is it the worst opton or something? Not that it matters now. LOL

Well, to put it mildly, you are less likely to get hurt in the Navy. And the ships are air conditioned. But from a career point of view, getting a good school is key to your success. Unless you really want to be an Infantryman, and some people do, the key here is getting training that can serve you well when you get out. If you learned a good trade, like HVAC, you'd be well-positioned for employment. If you're more cerebral, learning Farsi or Arabic at DLI: Defense language Institute in Monterey, California, would make you in high demand, but see "Infantry" above.

Don't expect much love to that question on ATS.

This is on the money ^^^^^^^

Unless you have 4 yrs of college already forget about being an Officer.
IT, Electrician or HVAC will be your best bet.
Most MOS's are useless in the civil world, actually lots are useless IN service. Guys that get out then want back in find that out fast. Some guys here found out after doing their time, then joining the reserves that most of the more prestigious assignments were only open to certain MOS's an it wasn't THEIRS, so no moving up in the reserves either.

They "say" they will pay for college.
That's only if your CO will work with you, otherwise it'll be after you have done your tour.
If congress doesn't cut the funding....again.

Don't let your recruiter BS you.
Look at ALL the MOS's and check what will translate into a "in demand" job for later.

Understand it's already too late, but the list goes, AF, Coast Guard, Navy, Marines then RA
OOPS!!

edit on 10-7-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Age does not matter. Had a guy in my class that was 40 plus but he got a waiver and it was during the surge. Had a guy later in my officer course that was 44.

It's going to suck but being older you should be able to handle it better. When things really suck just look at it as building character and have a good attitude about it. They are trying to pan out the weak so never let it get to you is the best advice I can give you. I spend 20 years in, 4 Marine and the rest National Guard. I was good at physical fitness so they pretty much left me alone. If you can get into great shape before you roll out it will be a big advantage. They won't bother you from experience. Show up weak and sucking wind and it will be rough.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Drill instructors like to be called "dude". Remember that and you'll be okay.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark ha ha yeah they like it when you disobey too! If they say sit, then stand instead!... just joking!🎁

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Yea do What your told, be in the right uniform at the right place at the right time, stand at parade rest when when talking to a drill sergeant..it's always yes drill sergeant, no drill sergeant they don't give a # how old you are your gonna get treated like the rest..do pt on your own time, don't talk back or you'll get everyone punished,bring pen and paper everywhere always take notes do not fall asleep in class..and be prepared for lots of sharp classes..you'll know what I'm talking about once you get there..also be prepared to be cut off from the world for four months.. black horse regiment 2/11 hht 11charlie infantry death rides on a black horse.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   

I won't say don't, though a LOT has changed in recent years, as far as the military is concerned. Be sure you want to, before signing anything. Once you decide, get everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, in writing. Guaranteed job slot,t hat YOU want, not that the recruiter will push, and they will push. Any signing bonuses, education plans, locations - all in writing, guaranteed. If they can't cooperate, don't be afraid to walk out. You can always go back later. Don't let them pressure you, because that's what they tend to do. They have slots to fill, and aren't usually concerned with what you want.

That's the best advice. They like to run people through quickly, rush everything, and tire you out with exams, physicals, paperwork, and lots of waiting. They'll count on you being too frustrated, bored, tired, or all of the above to pay close attention and make sure you get what you want. Knowing that going in can only help. Remembering it, even knowing, can be tough.

So, stay calm, be prepared and also, know before you go what jobs you might want. If you aren't sure, get a list of what they have, take it home, and look it over, checking against the job market for positions once you are out, in whatever field catches your attention. Officer training? If you want that, push for it. FAR better pay. You might even be able to qualify for financial aid for college, for such a plan. Above all, don't let the recruiter push you into acting too fast. They are worse high pressure salesmen than used car dealers and Amway guys. Collecting information tomorrow, without committing, is your best bet. It's your life, and you should take the time to plan what YOU want from it.

Age, if you are fit, shouldn't be too big a deal. Training isn't easy, so you'll want to be ready for that.

Let us know how things go?

(was in myself eons ago, and military hubby, so quite familiar with the system and tons of stories!)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

I've read a number of your posts, and if my impression serves me correctly, I am surprised to hear this news. (No judgment - I came very close to enlisting at one time.) You are older (and more mature) than many recruits and this should help you succeed. Sorry I don't have specific advice for you and best of luck to you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join