It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joining Army, Any advice?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Hey all,

So I am going to my second meeting with my recruiter in the morning (Army). I have started getting physically and mentally prepaired for it.

Took a practice ASVAB tests, did pretty good. (dont remember the scores, recruiter said it was good, would have good options)

I was wondering if anyone had some advice, insight, or anything.

I will be honest, I read the timetable, what happens when, all of that. I still cant imagine what to expect. I know its going to hurt, suck, be boring at times, repetative and all that. Thats not what I am worried about.

What are the best jobs, whats the best way to get promoted (really), how would an average guy get into officer school, how long and what do I have to do, /would help, to that end. When do enlisted people even go to school? How much time do we really get to ourselves after basic, after specialty training...?

Things like that are what I want to know. I dont know if I can trust a recruiter to answer that honestly.

I cant really get my head around this next bit. I read and talk to people, but this doesnt make sense:

If we want to be officers we need school, ok, It doesnt seem possible to get that education once enlisted, so how do people do it?

Mostly this is my nerves looking for something to focus my mind on.

Also, I am 32 YO. I am going to be the old man right? Is that very bad?

any advice would help.

Thanks in advance.

edit on 7 10 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I was told the USAF would be better for me personally in the future....That turned out to be very good advice.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
I was told the same.

That or navy. Why no love for the army? Whats up with that?

Is it the worst opton or something? Not that it matters now. LOL

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
stay focused, pay attention, FOLLOW ORDERS, forget any bad habits, follow orders, don't worry a bit. The part that sucks will be one of the most amazing memories, and you will get way more out than you put in. (providing that you give it 100%)

Make it Happen, Captain.

OBTW< Hold it down brother.
edit on 10-7-2016 by network dude because: added thought

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Whatever you do don't pull a Bill Murray Stripes like thing.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Any technical job, the training will be worth its weight in gold.

Keep your head down and never volunteer for anything else! Ever!

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Each branch suits a personality style, and each branch fulfills different needs for each person. Depends what you want to get out of your time in the service, honestly.

Best of luck to you!

ETA - be prepared for more than a comment or two about how terrible the military is and blah blah blah. Fair warning.
edit on 10-7-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

15 years in the Marine Corps so far.
I imagine army boot camp involves saunas, gardening and arts and crafts time.

But what worked for me in real boot camp was: Do what they tell you, move fast and be loud. You should be fine.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Thanks man,

I will keep that in mind.

I may be overthinking this. You are right. It may be amazing and what I am worried about will fall into place. Thanks again.

Hold it down
Keep the faith!

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: olaru12

That or navy. Why no love for the army? Whats up with that?

Is it the worst opton or something? Not that it matters now. LOL

Well, to put it mildly, you are less likely to get hurt in the Navy. And the ships are air conditioned. But from a career point of view, getting a good school is key to your success. Unless you really want to be an Infantryman, and some people do, the key here is getting training that can serve you well when you get out. If you learned a good trade, like HVAC, you'd be well-positioned for employment. If you're more cerebral, learning Farsi or Arabic at DLI: Defense language Institute in Monterey, California, would make you in high demand, but see "Infantry" above.

Don't expect much love to that question on ATS.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Damn it, I have been going off that movie like it was a training video.

LoL
EDIT TO ADD:
Thanks everyone. This helps.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Any technical job, the training will be worth its weight in gold.

Keep your head down and never volunteer for anything else! Ever!

Good luck!

And keep going for more training, never stop. If you get deployed overseas, learn the language, people will generally get on with you better. Plus if they talk s##t, you'll know what they are saying. Airborne, Navy, Marines, it's hard on the ground but it'll toughen the hell out of you.

ETA - Always remember who you are, the Code and The Constitution.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 7/10.2016 by bobs_uruncle because: ETA

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I was in the south in boot camp(not a vet, though) do you know where your boot camp is?
I went through what was known and maybe still, as camp joy... lots of friends and really good drill seargents...met a best friend for life there in SC, USA
All I can say is make sure you are good with the MOS/occupation you will train for after boot camp, I was given two options, and in'm a Christian /buddest type so I could not harm anyone... wanted to work in food service... oh well.
Wish you a happy safe journey and may you find friends behind every door open to you.
Many blessings
Thanks for sharing and providing me opportunity to remember the best time I ever experienced in life and travels.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

It came to me because I thought you wore that avvy for quite some time. Maybe it was someone else.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

yeah it was. I still have it. It shall return, soon.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Well when I almost joined I thought a lot about what MOS would benefit me most once I as back in the civilian world. Eventually I settled on Combat Engineer. This was two fold...i would have typical engineering training in building (which translates to a lot of good paying positions), but I would also learn demolitions which can translate easily into pyro gigs or construction demolitions. This also was a good MOS for a career in SF as most units have demolitions guys or rather explosives experts. That's my take on it at least.
edit on 10-7-2016 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Don't volunteer for anything.

I hire army trained people before anyone else.

They act like men...Much Respect.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I wish I would have done a turn in the service. One of the few regrets I have now that I am older and wiser.

I am proud of you.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Try not to shoot someone for watching a YouTube video.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
My advice is to remember that it is a mind game, especially boot.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join