It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Fulfilled Prophecies in the Bible Actually "Prophecies"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Assuming the Biblical Prophecies are Actually being fulfilled, Does that really mean that the bible is God-Inspired? The Big Bad's clearly have have an extreme amount of knowledge of the biblical prophecies so is it really to crazy to consider that they'd fulfilling these prophecies themselves to add credence to the bible, This assuming they have a supernatural means to do so which they probably do since they're supposed to run by fallen angels and what not.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Rtardx
Prophecy is fulfilled by interpreting it to fit a narrative, retro-fitting it, or writing it after the fact. No prophecy of the bible has ever come to pass(genuinely), but even if a few do fit with circumstances, one wrong prophecy invalidates all of them...

For a statement to be Biblical foreknowledge, it must fit all of the five following criteria:
It must be accurate. A statement cannot be Biblical foreknowledge if it is not accurate, because knowledge (and thus foreknowledge) excludes inaccurate statements.
It must be in the Bible. A statement cannot be Biblical foreknowledge if it is not in the Bible, because Biblical foreknowledge definitionally can only come from the Bible itself.
It must be unambiguous. A statement cannot be Biblical foreknowledge if multiple outcomes could fulfill the foreknowledge, because ambiguity prevents one from knowing whether the foreknowledge was intentional or not.
It must be improbable. A statement cannot be Biblical foreknowledge if it reasonably could be the result of a pure guess, because foreknowledge requires a person to actually know something true, while a correct guess doesn't mean that the guesser knows anything. This also excludes contemporary beliefs that happened be true but were believed to be true without solid evidence.
It must have been unknown. A statement cannot be Biblical foreknowledge if it reasonably could be the result of an educated guess based off contemporary knowledge, because foreknowledge requires a person to know a statement when it would have been impossible, outside of supernatural power, for that person to know it.

Link
edit on 7/10/2016 by Klassified because: add

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rtardx
Assuming the Biblical Prophecies are Actually being fulfilled, Does that really mean that the bible is God-Inspired? The Big Bad's clearly have have an extreme amount of knowledge of the biblical prophecies so is it really to crazy to consider that they'd fulfilling these prophecies themselves to add credence to the bible, This assuming they have a supernatural means to do so which they probably do since they're supposed to run by fallen angels and what not.

Which ones are you speaking of?

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Prophecy is fulfilled by interpreting it to fit a narrative, retro-fitting it, or writing it after the fact. No prophecy of the bible has ever come to pass, but even if a few do fit with circumstances, one wrong prophecy invalidates all of them.

...and now, a response from someone who actually reads the Bible:

There are literally thousands of fulfilled prophecies. This is what makes the Bible entirely unique among spiritual literature, and yes, it is evidence that it is God-breathed.

This site has a handful of good examples, most regarding Jesus:

www.reasons.org...

...however, one of the key examples in recent times is the reunification f Israel in 1948. Ezekiel talks at length about Israel being returned to the land in unbelief (that is, as a secular nation rather than a practising Jewish nation). It's all there - Ezekiel 36 and 37. This site goes into some detail on that:

hoshanarabbah.org...

Anyone who states that no Bible prophecy has ever been fulfilled clearly hasn't read it and it just repeating someone else's opinion. The evidence is overwhelming.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

lol Oh boy...

You stepped in it now buddy

This should be interesting

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I wouldn't say "God Inspired" more man made them up, they probably have been re-written more than a few times to adhere to a specific prophecy.

That said, no idea what ones have come to pass from the Bible? not saying some haven't happened just don't know what ones.

Prophecy's are always future born not past,,that means that anyone can write a prophecy and with enough time it my happen or not, it's a game of time and chance.
edit on 10-7-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Akragon

I despise long drawn out arguments, I can never follow any of them.

link   
a reply to: Awen24

I would venture to say I have at least as many, if not more years in bible reading AND study as you.

Anyone who states that no Bible prophecy has ever been fulfilled clearly hasn't read it and it just repeating someone else's opinion. The evidence is overwhelming.

And anyone who states that it has, spends their life confirming their bias, and studying only what soothes their cognitive dissonance. The evidence is lackluster at best.
edit on 7/10/2016 by Klassified because: comma

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

You can watch them unfold in front of your face, here are a few:

1. The human race must have the ability to exterminate itself, Matthew 24:22 (Check, only recently in HISTORY could this happen)

2. A Jewish homeland had to be reestablished in the Middle East (After almost 2,000 years of exile, this happened in 1948)

Jesus Christ confirmed this as a future event to precede His return (compare Daniel 11:31; Matthew 24:15). This means that these sacrifices must first be reinstituted in Jerusalem—requiring Jewish rule over the city. (this one coming soon)

3. The gospel will be preached in all the world (impossible at the time it was written, only in today's modern era is this possible)

4. Instant worldwide communications and God’s final witnesses - the world over will be able to see their dead bodies during the 3 1⁄2 days that they lie on display in Jerusalem. This was not possible before satellite television, portable communications devices and the Internet. Again, only in the last few years has it become possible for this prophecy to be fulfilled .

5. Kings of the East field an armies of 200 million. (Only today could this be possible)

6. Christians Beheaded (starting already)

“In later times, some will abandon the faith, and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons” (1 Timothy 4:1). The last days are described as “perilous times” because of the increasingly evil character of man and because of people who actively “oppose the truth” (2 Timothy 3:1-9; also see 2 Thessalonians 2:3). The list of things people will be in the last days—lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power—(2 Timothy 3:1-2) seems to fit our modern age exactly.

edit on 10-7-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

a reply to: Akragon

I despise long drawn out arguments, I can never follow any of them.

I rather enjoy them in many cases...

Especially in the religious sections

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I'm not really disputing the prophecies, I just doubt that they prove the bible. I believe the only reason they could be fulfilled is deceived people into worshiping a thought form and giving it more power to further deceive and control people.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I'm not really disputing the prophecies, I just doubt that they prove the bible. I believe the only reason they could be fulfilled is deceived people into worshiping a thought form and giving it more power to further deceive and control people.

Who is being controlled and for what purpose?

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Sorry Infolurker, I have to disagree.

1. The human race must have the ability to exterminate itself, Matthew 24:22 (Check, only recently in HISTORY could this happen)

No place in scripture says that humans must have the ability to exterminate themselves. Even if it did, humans have always had the ability to exterminate themselves. We're just much more efficient at it now. The scripture says no flesh would be saved if "god" didn't interfere. The aforementioned is assumption, and not scripture.

2. A Jewish homeland had to be reestablished in the Middle East (After almost 2,000 years of exile, this happened in 1948)

The Jews disagree, and state emphatically that modern day Israel is NOT a fulfillment of prophecy, and in fact was never a prophecy.

3. The gospel will be preached in all the world (impossible at the time it was written, only in today's modern era is this possible)

Another assumption. Not impossible, just unlikely for a few centuries. He also said the end would come when it had been preached throughout the world, and it hasn't come yet. I would also mention Matthew 10:23, which has yet to be fulfilled, yet surely all the cities of Israel have been covered by now, if not a long time ago.

The other three are unfulfilled, and not necessary to go into.

ETA: (Original post added to by Infolurker)

6. Christians Beheaded (starting already)

Not hard for anyone to prophesy at any point in history, since it has always been a popular way to execute someone. Common sense, not prophecy.
edit on 7/10/2016 by Klassified because: eta

edit on 7/10/2016 by Klassified because: a

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I would venture to say I have at least as many, if not more years in bible reading AND study as you.

And anyone who states that it has, spends their life confirming their bias, and studying only what soothes their cognitive dissonance. The evidence is lackluster at best.

What degree of accuracy would substantiate a prophecy for you?

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
IT IS COMPLICATED
edit on 10-7-2016 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Another assumption. Not impossible, just unlikely for a few centuries.

I actually wrote a thread on that one...

The coming of the Internet predicted in the gospels?

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

People who believe in the Abrahamic Religions being in a constant state of worship and anticipation of a thought consciousness that FEEDS on the power of the believers and in the turn appeases them with little visions and small miracles. I really confused, because all of the things I've read in the bible make sense, likewise alot of the things in the quran make sense to me, at least i think it does. But at the same time, All this knowledge in the Bible is too available and Christianity is too common for me to fully trust it, it just seems to suspiscious that supposedly the elites are running things yet they let biblical remain so publicly accessible. All the real knowledge could've been burned by some thugs in an ancient library millenia ago.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant

What degree of accuracy would substantiate a prophecy for you?

See my first post. There really isn't any way to substantiate prophecy, because there are too many variables. Secular prophecy has the same problem when it is ancient as the bible is. Was the Oracle at Delphi right? We'll never really know. Nostradamus? Too ambiguous. Sure, some writer might make enough prophecies to hit one loosely, or right on the money, but that hardly qualifies as evidence for inerrancy of scripture, whether biblical or otherwise.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
If a prophet predicts something is going to happen, and 2000 years later people still are waiting for it to be fulfilled, someone is eventually going to figure a way to make it come true.

I can't think of a single prophecy that has ever come true.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaathSader
If a prophet predicts something is going to happen, and 2000 years later people still are waiting for it to be fulfilled, someone is eventually going to figure a way to make it come true.

I can't think of a single prophecy that has ever come true.

I can think of one on this very forum

<<   2  3  4 >>

join