It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living Robots powered by muscle! (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
California University scientists have formed robots from rat heart cells that were grown onto micro silicon chips. The robot has plastic and silicon based devices that resemble frog legs with hinges that move when the living cells contract by manipulation. If looked at through a microscope you can actually see the little feet of the bio-bots walking around.

news.bbc.co.uk
By Roland Pease
BBC radio science unit

Tiny robots powered by living muscle have been created by scientists at the University of California, Los Angeles.

The devices were formed by "growing" rat cells on microscopic silicon chips, the researchers report in the journal Nature Materials.

Less than a millimetre long, the miniscule robots can move themselves without any external source of power.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The bio-bots can power microchips, This is pretty amazing. Think of the advances that could quickly be made with this. The Good and of course the very Bad!

Quoting Sebastion: "Scary. Now you cant even trust a fly on the wall. I could be a bug-device with a linkup to NORAD."

Related News Links:
www.physorg.com
olympics.reuters.com
www.cbc.ca

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Living Robots powered by muscle!

[edit on 18-1-2005 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This remindes me of the book "Prey" by Micheal Chrition. A very good Horror/Thriller story... what do you think?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Interesting; although, I believe this should be in the Sci/Tech forum as it would be more appropriate...

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Transhumanism is here, the merge of man and machine, as usual the new developments will bring us both beautifull oppertunites to save lives in the field of medicine as well as perhaps some horriific Nod cyborg reapers

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   

This remindes me of the book "Prey" by Micheal Chrition. A very good Horror/Thriller story... what do you think?

Really good book, and I think it might be a prediction of whats to come...

top topics

join