It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Helicopter Shoots Itself Down in Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

BBC

So the Russian media says this helicopter was shot down by 'Islamic State' but watching footage it doesn't seem that way to me. They also say the helicopter expended its munitions which seems odd to specifically mention. In the video we see 3 flashes and an explosion. The first two flashes appear to be missiles firing from the right missile pod of the helicopter. Then there is a third flash just below the helicopter with the explosion on the tail rotor just afterwards.

It's my best guess the third flash was a misfire of some sort and that the projectile hit the tail rotor or was sucked into it. Of course Russia would hide the fact that the equipment they are using is, due to bad treatment, as dangerous to their own troops as it is to the enemy.

Any thoughts on this from someone who has a better idea are welcome.

RIP to the pilots fighting 'Islamic State'.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Looks like debris from a pod hit the tail rotor. Zaphod is your best bet.
edit on 4781642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
It's clearly an explosion at the tail rotor, so either the missile from the chopper went backwards and hit the tail rotor detonating, which sound weird, or it got shot down.
edit on 10-7-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It was shot down! The first thing that I see is a flash at the nose. Things begin falling off at that point and you can see large pieces falling below and behind the MI-24. Then you see a large flash at the tail rotor. There is nothing that would make such an explosion in that area on a MI-24. The MI-24 begins to lose directional control and the nose angles toward the ground. This indicates the the tail rotor has separated from the airframe.

The MI-24 is a two engine helicopter and the crew probably had some engine power to the ground. I see no evidence that an autorotation was started. The aircraft struck the ground in free fall. The crew may have been incapacitated at some point...probably in the first explosion so no attempt was made to make a semi-controlled landing.

I think it was most likely some sort of a radar missile that hit the helicopter. I see no evidence of a launch or smoke trail but the explosions indicate to me that it is the case. An IR missile would have struck the helo more closely to the hot areas like the engines or maybe the the TR gearbox.
Just my two cents.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
It's clearly an explosion at the tail rotor, so either the missile from the chopper went backwards and hit the tail rotor detonating, which sound weird, or it got shot down.

You want to hear something funny? In 1956 the airforce was testing out new guns on the F11f and he shot himself down. How you ask? he forgot that bullets drop at a certain rate and flew right through the burst he fired seconds earlier.

So yes its possible the pilot shot himself down with a rocket. it could had had a tail fin not deploy causing it to loop around. and voila! ace in a day!

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
It looks like something malfunctioned.

in the first frame you see the flash from the munitions be fired

in the next frame you see the smoke from the fired munitions

but in the next (third) frame you see the original puff of smoke and a second puff of smoke appears without any flash,and you can see a dim flash or light where the munitions pod is on the helicopter.

and in the next (fourth) frame something exploded.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

You want to hear something funny? In 1956 the airforce was testing out new guns on the F11f and he shot himself down. How you ask? he forgot that bullets drop at a certain rate and flew right through the burst he fired seconds earlier.

So yes its possible the pilot shot himself down with a rocket. it could had had a tail fin not deploy causing it to loop around. and voila! ace in a day!
sounds like the torpedos that come back round and take their own submarine out.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: sg1642

Apparently the missile/rocket pods munitions were faulty from what im seeing and yeah its just the same as the torpedoes coming back. Which was hilarious btw.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It was shot down ISIS claimed responsibility. airlive.net

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
There should be sound of rebels on that video, it seems to be a rebel video tracking the event, and they are all shouting Allahu Akbar.
Sound on.

edit on 10-7-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: whatnext21
It was shot down ISIS claimed responsibility. airlive.net

Of course they would make such a claim. It was also claimed according to the Daily Mail that a US anti-tank manpac brought it down. So they made it a win-win for their side.
edit on 10-7-2016 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
They always claim it was their own handywork. A helicopter clipped the hesco wall of a FOB I was in and crashed. Taliban were saying they hit it with an rpg. It is always the case. Same in Iraq when that apache hit the cables and came down.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Apparently the missile/rocket pods munitions were faulty from what im seeing and yeah its just the same as the torpedoes coming back. Which was hilarious btw.
I'll probably catch some flak for this but I chuckled at the title of this thread not going to lie.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Commenting on the second video with sound, I wish I could somehow shove their Allah Akbar up their arse

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: tayton
Commenting on the second video with sound, I wish I could somehow shove their Allah Akbar up their arse

i can't stand what are sometimes interesting videos to watch because of that. It is utterly pathetic and vexing to listen to. barrel bomb falling on my head? Lolz better shout how great god is.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

i can't stand what are sometimes interesting videos to watch because of that. It is utterly pathetic and vexing to listen to. barrel bomb falling on my head? Lolz better shout how great god is.

I put in the original video with sound for perspective, and they were tracking the helicopter, so there is a possibility that it was shot down to take into account. I don't care what they are shouting. I don't like all the glorifying either.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

I put in the original video with sound for perspective, and they were tracking the helicopter, so there is a possibility that it was shot down to take into account. I don't care what they are shouting. I don't like all the glorifying either.

Yeah sorry that wasn't directed at you
just in general. It reminds me of a whiney 17 year old who needs a slap a haircut and a job.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I think this was made after the fact and they added that in to give the impression they did it. Vid editing isnt hard to do.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus
I have watched the video several times and the first flashes are the MI-24 shooting. This is followed by the large explosion at the tail. I think it is a missile of some sort but opinions are just that...opinions.

edit on 10-7-2016 by buddah6 because: AGE, PAIN MEDS and BAD MEMORY!

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddah6
a reply to: Tardacus
I have watched the video several times and the first flashes are the MI-24 shooting. This is followed by the large explosion at the tail. I think it is a missile of some sort but opinions are just that...opinions.

Well it wasnt a RPG from that range of the akbar guys.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join