It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learning to use crossbows-need advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Hey all,
I am looking at learning to use crossbows and would like some advice on stuff such as best draw weight to start with,maintenance and repairs,storage,setting up targets to practice on and best brand to buy.My choice for starting out would be a Buffalo RIver 120 LB draw weight for NZ$ 199 from Gun City since i'm from NZ but feel free to advise me if i'm better off starting with a lower draw weight and then moving up.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Conspiracyskeptic

question one : what do you hope to acheive by owning a crossbow ?

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Conspiracyskeptic
Hey all,
I am looking at learning to use crossbows and would like some advice on stuff such as best draw weight to start with,maintenance and repairs,storage,setting up targets to practice on and best brand to buy.My choice for starting out would be a Buffalo RIver 120 LB draw weight for NZ$ 199 from Gun City since i'm from NZ but feel free to advise me if i'm better off starting with a lower draw weight and then moving up.

Would these questions not be best asked and answered in a dedicated Bow/Crossbow forum. 120lb is kinda on the low side as far as modern Hunting Xbows go. 120lbs should be a easy draw with both arms and ok for Target shooting.

Here for laws on XBow hunting in NZ

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   

150lb good.

As for maintenance they are pretty easy. Had mine 5 years and its still in perfect condition.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Are they legal in Un Zid ?

If so best advice would be ... don't be an idiot with it .

What are you wishing to shoot with it, pigs ?

Ed: just read above link ... 😊
edit on 10-7-2016 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Conspiracyskeptic
Hey all,

I have been an active hunter for 30 years. I originally used bows until I broke my collar bone twice and tore my RC. Now.I use crossbows exclusively. Mine has a crank on it so it's no strain on my shoulder.

What would you like to know?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timely

Are they legal in Un Zid ?

If so best advice would be ... don't be an idiot with it .

What are you wishing to shoot with it, pigs ?

Ed: just read above link ... 😊

Crossbows are legal in New Zealand in fact you don't need a firearms license to buy and own one.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Does anyone know if crossbows made by Buffalo River are any good?

top topics

join