It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a Physicist at CERN We've Done Something We Shouldn't Have Done

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

The only evidence I can personally find online is this story that was posted in the OP in ever changing amounts of detail.

All on shoddily constructed websites and click bait websites.

So. I am going to go ahead and call this hoax.

The name of the person who the story comes from does not appear anywhere except with pages that the "story" appear on.

Surely a scientist working at CERN would appear on their website, as a name, or perhaps somewhere else to at least partially corroborate his story.

A story is all it is.

Not sure about the occult things at CERN either. All I could find is a statue of Shiva. If you're looking for occult symbolism in public places I would recommend searching about the Denver international airport.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Actually, you're not a physicist from Cern. Next time, put quotes around that.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Greggers
Yes, I've considered that, as well, Greggers.
But my larger point is, if we believe it's just game simulation that we're in the midst of that accounts for our environment, then there's no reason to listen to those "tree-huggers" about anything, right? Meanwhile, the real physical planet could very well be being destroyed....

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: tetra50
But my larger point is, if we believe it's just game simulation that we're in the midst of that accounts for our environment, then there's no reason to listen to those "tree-huggers" about anything, right? Meanwhile, the real physical planet could very well be being destroyed....

This reality is the only reality we have, whether it's running inside of a computer or not. Since it appears to obey natural laws, it would be wise to do what we can to take care of it.

A simulated reality is not a fake reality. And even if it's a "game" to whoever is on the other side, it's certainly no game to us. It is, quite simply, the only reality that can be proven to exist, and the only one we have at present, and possibly the only one we will ever have.

edit on 14-7-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Good story, but this is reality...

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: StargateSG7

Pftt! What are yoy babbling About?!? Everybody knows Jet Li is "the one". Didnt you see that sci fi adaption of the highlander premis movie made?

Jet li fighting hinself = mindblown. Plus the final fight was xingyi vs bagua two internal martial arts diametrically opposed in usage of chi. One feminine, subtle, coiling power and stuff the other masculine forceful and direct energy exploding Like a capacitor discharging.

Although neo did have trinity and patent leather / pvc wardobe which is generally plesant to look at. Although michelle pfiefer (catwoman) pull off the look so much better than carrie anne moss did.

Welp thays my conttibution to this thread. Thanks for reading.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I'm going to point out what you probably haven't noticed... a text analysis shows that the story was written by two different people. The first section is taken in part from CERN's own website.

When you run the second part through a text analyzer, you find that the sentences suddenly get shorter, the lexical density (number of big complex words) drops by 8 points (rather significant) and that the text gender (formal vs informal) changes from male to female.

In other words, someone was copying from CERN's pages and writing that as a statement... and then switched to write in their own words (because they didn't know much about CERN or its operations.)

Now, people do change their lexical densities depending on audience and may even code-switch from authoritarian male tone to softer female tone. But the change is consistent and they don't change tones in the middle of a document. Scientists don't change tones that drastically.

So... no. No real physicist wrote this. A hack took part of the CERN website and tried to fabricate a story hoax that everyone would fall for. It's been around since 2015 and debunked before... undoubtedly the writer will feel pleased to see more attention given to their fiction.

(a good example of the re-gendering is this (really bad) sentence: "We hurried to commence the network backup procedures that we were trained to undertake in the event of failure" - which genders as female. The original tone (gendering as male would be: "We quickly implemented the emergency failure recovery protocol." Second writer has a much worse grasp of grammar (and science and physics) than the real scientists do.)
edit on 14-7-2016 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

But tree huggers go on about the trees because they are part of the simulation.

Has any fatality been recorded in the real world from ricochets in shoot-em up video games?

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd
I'm going to point out what you probably haven't noticed... a text analysis shows that the story was written by two different people. The first section is taken in part from CERN's own website.

When you run the second part through a text analyzer, you find that the sentences suddenly get shorter, the lexical density (number of big complex words) drops by 8 points (rather significant) and that the text gender (formal vs informal) changes from male to female.

In other words, someone was copying from CERN's pages and writing that as a statement... and then switched to write in their own words (because they didn't know much about CERN or its operations.)

Now, people do change their lexical densities depending on audience and may even code-switch from authoritarian male tone to softer female tone.

So... no. No real physicist wrote this. A hack took part of the CERN website and tried to fabricate a story hoax that everyone would fall for. It's been around since 2015 and debunked before... undoubtedly the writer will feel pleased to see more attention given to their fiction.

(a good example of the re-gendering is this (really bad) sentence: "We hurried to commence the network backup procedures that we were trained to undertake in the event of failure" - which genders as female. The original tone (gendering as male would be: "We quickly implemented the emergency failure recovery protocol." Second writer has a much worse grasp of grammar than the real scientists do.)

I don't know how much traffic this fictional story has seen, but it seems like the sort of thing that would have made an interesting viral marketing campaign for a larger science-fiction book. Unfortunately, the tell-tale Amazon link is missing, so the original author isn't getting his kickback.

I make a small chunk of change writing science-fiction, and this is giving me some ideas...

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Also, the writer has absolutely No Clue about computers (and I say this from having spent 30 years as a computer engineer and programmer.)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers
I don't know how much traffic this fictional story has seen, but it seems like the sort of thing that would have made an interesting viral marketing campaign for a larger science-fiction book. Unfortunately, the tell-tale Amazon link is missing, so the original author isn't getting his kickback.

I make a small chunk of change writing science-fiction, and this is giving me some ideas...

Actually (I read slush pile for a small press) this one wouldn't make it out of the slushpile.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Actually (I read slush pile for a small press) this one wouldn't make it out of the slushpile.

That doesn't surprise me one bit.

It's not much of a story, for starters. Plus, it's sloppy.

However, what interests me is the notion of creating a piece of fiction people might circulate, but with a link directing readers to a point of purchase. The link would give the game away, obviously. Plus, it would need to be more competently written.

One thing I've learned is that marketing and writing are very different skillsets.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Double Post.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

That doesn't surprise me one bit.

It's not much of a story, for starters. Plus, it's sloppy.

However, what interests me is the notion of creating a piece of fiction people might circulate, but with a link directing readers to a point of purchase. The link would give the game away, obviously. Plus, it would need to be more competently written.

One thing I've learned is that marketing and writing are very different skillsets.

Yeah. Even if you go with a big publisher, unless you're Stephen King, you still have to do most of the marketing yourself.

For that kind of story, the idea model would be the clickbait -- looking at traffic, then put up ad links to books about survivalism and UFOs, etc. I don't think the writer is capable of doing that sort of strategic planning but if I was evil and the kind of person that did this kind of thing, I'd write a better clickbait website... put it in multiple sections, release it in small parts, make it controversial - hook in the debunkers and the bunkers equally.

You could keep it rolling for years.

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

But tree huggers go on about the trees because they are part of the simulation.

Has any fatality been recorded in the real world from ricochets in shoot-em up video games?

IF it's a simulation, you think fatalaties, or anything else, would be accurately recorded and reported? Which real world would that be, once you open the simulation possibility? If "real world" personalities can be dowloaded or uploaded, who knows what's what and who's who, really.

If my theory is correct, it would be more like some things are layer simulated over a "real world nature," as in trees, that still exists. But if we believe it's all just game theory, and we're recycled somehow, anyway, within that environment of game theory simulation, your choices would obviously be affected be believing that. Some things wouldn't matter quite as much, dependant upon what you believe, and what you think you see or understand.

edit on 14-7-2016 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

This reality is the only reality we have, whether it's running inside of a computer or not. Since it appears to obey natural laws, it would be wise to do what we can to take care of it.

A simulated reality is not a fake reality. And even if it's a "game" to whoever is on the other side, it's certainly no game to us. It is, quite simply, the only reality that can be proven to exist, and the only one we have at present, and possibly the only one we will ever have.

Yes, very well put, and exactly the point I am making. Life is life. Controlling and manipulation of it for any other life that considers itself superieror enough to do that is a heinous act, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm saying this to make it clear what side of the theory I've posited I come down on....

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Yes, very well put, and exactly the point I am making. Life is life. Controlling and manipulation of it for any other life that considers itself superieror enough to do that is a heinous act, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm saying this to make it clear what side of the theory I've posited I come down on....

Agreed on all points.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   

IF it's a simulation, you think fatalaties, or anything else, would be accurately recorded and reported? Which real world would that be, once you open the simulation possibility? If "real world" personalities can be dowloaded or uploaded, who knows what's what and who's who, really.

It wouldn't matter who enters the arena, it's virtual, whatever happens there would not affect the real world.

If my theory is correct, it would be more like some things are layer simulated over a "real world nature," as in trees, that still exists. But if we believe it's all just game theory, and we're recycled somehow, anyway, within that environment of game theory simulation, your choices would obviously be affected be believing that. Some things wouldn't matter quite as much, dependant upon what you believe, and what you think you see or understand.

I'm thinking it's like a movie, no matter how much stuff blows up on the screen you won't get any shrapnel in your popcorn.

Why would a simulated game be layered over a "real world nature"? There would have to be a reason. Otherwise it would just be laser tag or gotcha but even those are not a real threat to any "real world nature". If anything they are better alternatives to humans actually blowing themselves, and trees, up.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 03:42 AM
link   

But it would make it as a movie on the sci fi channel...hey if sharknado can do it then this would be a hit.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

But it would make it as a movie on the sci fi channel...hey if sharknado can do it then this would be a hit.

SHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Don't tell them it's out there!

But yes, that's exactly the same sort of "story with big holes in it" that they'd take. There's something familiar about it, though, that I can't put my finger on... as though I've read a variation of it somewhere else.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join