It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cable snaps on USS Eisenhower during landing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Oh My God!

If I was on that plane I'm sure my shorts would be brown.

Very cool how the pilot was able to get the plane back in the air. I was sure it wasn't coming back up.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I'm even more surprised that the cable didn't injure any of the crew on deck...you can see a few hauling ass away as it broke.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

I'm even more surprised that the cable didn't injure any of the crew on deck...you can see a few hauling ass away as it broke.
that would have done some almighty damage

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
From what I've been told a snapping cable can cut a man in half. Lucky all around THAT day.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This happened in March during work ups off the East Coast.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Amazing save! I was expecting to see water splash up since prop planes that size don't have anywhere near the thrust of a jet. I was worried he didn't go full thrust after touch-down like they normally do when trying to clamp the cable. Especially after seeing that drop off the end.

Nice surprise seeing that plane pulling up from near the water.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

The C model was upgraded to the T56-427 engine and 8 blade prop. It gives them more power, a faster response, and better fuel efficiency.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I just talked to my friend in the Navy. He said the C model has upgrades. They can get to full power quick.

I see Zaph added.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I saw the title and came to crack a joke about the rhino.

That's a pucker-inducing film to watch, for sure

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Holy $@#%! Looked as though he was for sure in the drink. Nice save.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I knew a Vietnam vet. He was on a carrier deck and a snapped cable disemboweled a guy 5 feet in front of him(dead). Chain smoking Alcoholic with PTSD that died in his 40's.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

The D uses a further upgrade to the T56 as well as a 5 blade prop that's even more efficient. Interestingly, while the 8 blade prop is much more efficient than the usual 4 blade, it's really not that efficient compared to the 5 and 6 blade props.
edit on 7/9/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Wow, seems pretty dangerous, glad the pilot could handle the situation.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: anton74

He was on a carrier deck and a snapped cable disemboweled a guy 5 feet in front of him(dead). Chain smoking Alcoholic with PTSD that died in his 40's.

Said to hear of the death, but was it really necessary to mention his addiction or PTSD? What did it add to the thread, I mean really?

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

He was on a carrier deck and a snapped cable disemboweled a guy 5 feet in front of him(dead). Chain smoking Alcoholic with PTSD that died in his 40's.

Said to hear of the death, but was it really necessary to mention his addiction or PTSD? What did it add to the thread, I mean really?
well it just goes to show that any kind of service can pose a variety of dangers I suppose.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

It was to point out how something as scary as that can affect someone. The cable doesn't need to hit you to leave a mark.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Lt. Cmdr Thomas Browning, Lt. Cmdr Kellen Smith, and Lt. Matthew Halliwell were presented the Armed Forces Air Medal yesterday for their actions in saving the aircraft.

The JAG report found a lack of procedural compliance by maintenance personnel while troubleshooting the cable prior to the landing attempt, but no willful dereliction of duty. One to two steps were missed during the inspection due to unclear procedures.

fightersweep.com...
edit on 8/12/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join