It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who, among everyone, is NOT biased?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Who, among ALL of us, is NOT biased?
Not me. (As in, "I AM biased.")
If someone has NO biases, won't that be taken advantage of?

Biases (sp?) factor into everything.
How could they not?
Due to some of my biases, I expect to hear/read a variety of certain responses...

What biases should be biased against?
Who SHOULD NOT let their biases affect them?

I could go on, because it's such a broad topic, but I'll leave it there.
I'll check in from time to time, but I'm also going fishing in about an hour, so I may be "AFK" for a bit...
Tonight, barring too many responses, I'll respond to each and every response.

(Edit: and because of the broad nature of the OP, I don't really care too much about thread drift... To a certain degree... So have at it... All I ask is that we PLEASE not get HATEFUL.)

Peaceful wishes to (mostly) everyone.

edit on 7/9/2016 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Obviously everyone holds biases, but I will say for myself that I'm usually always the one to play devils advocate. In everyday conversations I'm the one saying, "Well, hold on now what if...?" or "Maybe THIS is why they did/said/are like that." and actively trying to get people into someone else's shoes.
So, even with biases I like to play the "what if" game.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

Life experiences and teachings form our prejudice, it's a fact of life.

We are bias in every decision we make, how could we not be, when choices are at the centre of our being?

edit on 9/7/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Everyone is biased. The problem is tolerance of your bias.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: japhrimu
Who, among ALL of us, is NOT biased?

Pragmatists who acknowledge presented facts and admit when in the wrong.

Conservatives used to be champions of pragmatism. Not anymore (not everywhere).

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

Yup, everyone is biased.

Some folks are biased in favor of family... to the extent that family shouldn't be held accountable for their actions that harm others.

Some folks are biased in favor of political affiliation... to the extent that like partisans shouldn't be held accountable for their actions that harm others.

Some folks are biased in favor of occupational affiliation... either union vs not... mgmt vs labor... investors vs stakeholders... to the extent that like situated folks shouldn't be held accountable for their actions that harm others

I don't think the bias itself is a problem... it's the sense of entitlement, the double-standard, that's the problem.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: awakendhybrid

Hey, me, too.
I'm also super empathetic.
Are you biased against those who aren't like that?
(Devil's advocate)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

At the same time, biases are (maybe unfairly) formed using others' stories, too... I.e.: media, social media, etc...

What does this mean? Everything and nothing at once...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

"Problem?" According to who? That's bias against others, who might have different experiences than you...

I'd say the problem is when one's Liberty is more important than another's' Liberty, or something along those lines...
(I'm trying to get responses in before I lose cell coverage)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ColCurious

Facts? Which facts? Are you/we biased in what facts are presented?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I feel biased in the work environment over the subject of titles and positions. I see it like, I treat people how I expect to be treated, if a body is uncomfortable performing certain duties, then I am also wither(auto correct, tablet crazy) I meant I am uncomfortable having them uncomfortable with a performing job..., performing such an act of work.
Same as in paying people for actions such as moving objects and yard work, dusting ect... trash and recycling...?
Great OP! Provides much food for thought.sad what some folks have to do for pennies and then tossed out with no skill... or education in writing, operating on registers.. ect..crazy world!😃
Biased, me..a bit.
edit on 9-7-2016 by peppycat because: something

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CantStandIt

Yup.
And age.
Sex/gender
Looks
Sound
Smell
Etc...

The double standard of entitlement?... Ok. I can follow that... I'd add it's about rights... Some of which are documented... (Not all/what I want to say, but I'm in a hurry...)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: japhrimu

"Problem?" According to who? That's bias against others, who might have different experiences than you...

I'd say the problem is when one's Liberty is more important than another's' Liberty, or something along those lines...
(I'm trying to get responses in before I lose cell coverage)

Sorry, I have no idea what you are on about right now.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
All bias is personal, there are preferiential biases that people have that have polarities of positive and negative. Even though I dont have bias towards people I have bias towards behaviors that only serve to harm oneself and others it comes from a place of pain in either the giver or reciever of it for which the remedy is compassion that leads to empathy if one has direct experience of the pain it can actually cause oneself and others.

There are biases of some foods but if given, I will not refuse in that preferential bias. Material bias none somethings make life more comfortable and convieniant but there is always adaptation to whatever adversity that can evolve into strength and an enduring character.

Of course some have bias that they extend into groups... and well some have to form together in a group to overcome that other groups bias in the name of equality and secularism that the US society was founded on... US or not equality and secularism allows peace to occur regardless of personal bias or group labels.

Of course, having those biases do not bring anyone any ease... because as soon as someone sees whatever they have a bias for there is a reaction, one of fear, hate, aversion or disgust, it is a repelling force in the mind that only seeks comfort and ease away from that for which there is a bias...

Compassion understands that everyone is seeking to be happy and many use bias in an attempt to achieve that happiness, that happiness however is temporary and non lasting because one cannot escape their bias... even alone on the worlds tallest mountain, remotest island they will carry their bias with them as that seeking of comfort against what appears to be uncomfortable will not change until they expose themselves to over come such bias so they can have more ease and peace without reaction of bias no matter the situation.

Material bias is somtimes linked to taste, well to me there is no difference between a golf cart and a ferrari other than legal requirements for having them on the road, if they both run like they should pressing that little rectangle on the floor with get you where you need to go. Of course shelter is shelter as well it's a place to keep dry.

So as much as we progress the more we complicate and form bias, building more and more disease instead of ease in our biases and seeking of comfort...

Heathly bias and unhealthy bias for oneself and society there is a large difference, when it comes to chosing people and groups we dont like it becomes ideological posion to society itself, people are people and no group bias will ever rule them all except the one called human vs. being that of an animal. Yet, aside from trying to separate ourselves from nature we are really no different than animals, in basic behavior and can be trained and programmed just the same and it's in the training and programming from which that bias takes root.

So of course knowing bias one can understand bias, and understanding bias means one can overcome such training and programming of it, as it leads to the actual opposite of what we think it does when choosing it purposefully.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Fair enough.
Was just some rushed rambling, not portraying my thoughts very well...

Good call out.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I have biases but not bases on race, religion, political bent, etc. I dislike close minded people. People that are not accepting of others. Intentionally obtuse individuals. Don't care what "color" you are.

Oh and this one is strictly physical. I don't find Asian(Indian and Oriental) and many African women attractive. They are too slim. Is that a "bias"?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I was going to argue with you for the sake of arguing, saying I think you have biases you don't even realize, but as soon as I typed my argument, I argued, myself, with it, as if I were told the same thing... (If that makes sense)

In essence, your post got me thinking...

Because you're right... A lot of things just don't, or shouldn't matter...

It's not that you changed my beliefs. It's that you showed me how what I believe is not what I said...

You proved to me that what I said was wrong, so I disagree with part of the OP's premise, and now I actually don't like the OP...

I'm trying to think how I would alter it, if I were to do so.

Star for you, either way.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
There are many people with alternating bias.

One day, in certain circumstances they exhibit bias one way, and the next day in different but similar circumstances they exhibit the opposite bias.

It's hard for individuals to notice this in themselves, but others can see this, and refer to it as "inconsistency".

Generally speaking, the human mind is more inconsistent than permanently biased.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I think my use of "biases" in my original post was just too general, since the meaning of "biases" can range from preferences, to opinions, to prejudices, and probably more... Such a general statement doesn't end up saying much at all...

Although this was put in general chit chat, I think I've had enough small talk on biases for now, so I'm moving on... (Not snarky. Just saying goodbye.)

Catch ya in another thread.
Everyone, take it easy.

posted on Jul, 10 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Its a bias of form due to sexual attraction...

Some of the most beautiful people youll ever have a conversation with become formless and not just in the dark trying to poke eyes out of those not present.

top topics

join