It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attorney for officer who killed Philando Castile says he reacted to gun, not race

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: CynConcepts
a reply to: Liquesence

Wouldn't the responding officers have verified that by cross checking the valid permit in his wallet? All manuals state you must have this permit and ID on you when carrying?

He didn't get the opportunity. He was killed when he was reaching for...something.

That's not what I meant. I meant when the other officers arrived and took over the scene to determine what was happening. They would have retrieved his wallet and confirmed that he had a cc permit in there with his ID.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I find it disturbing because I am not a fan of unlawful detention.

She had not committed a crime that I am aware of nor was she suspected of a crime that I am aware of. Even the description of the other suspects that they were pulled over for were men.

What was the purpose of handcuffing her?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

a reply to: butcherguy

According to a question presented to the local county sheriff who oversees the Concealed Carry Permit process, Mr. Castile had never requested a concealed carry permit from their office:

Because he apparently got his CCW in the county he previous resided in, which explains why he never requested one from the county SO he lived in when he was killed: he already had a state CCW permit.

I had not seen confirmation of that yet.

I haven't seen confirmation that he had a permit except through the Minnesota Star Tribune, who reported a source told them it was in fact the case and that he received it int he county in which he previously resided.

no confirms yet.
also, if the Leo pulled him over because the vehicle and driver possibly matched an ARMED robber (i.e. considered armed and dangerous), would protocol be differently in approaching a suspect and vehicle?

so the Leo said he reached for his gun not I'd: this is assuming he simply wanted to simply kill the cop immediately, while passenger and 4 year old in car.

sounds like both parties need to clarify some things, unfortunately one's dead. so of course a grieving gf will side with the man whom she and daughter watched die, knowing no one in that vehicle may not had any intentions of killing a cop. but it seems that way based on Leo's initial report.

a lot doesn't 'add up' .

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I find it disturbing because I am not a fan of unlawful detention.

She had not committed a crime that I am aware of nor was she suspected of a crime that I am aware of. Even the description of the other suspects that they were pulled over for were men.

What was the purpose of handcuffing her?

The other officers just came on the scene of a shooting. They have no clue what is or has been occurring. They don't need a woman going berserk over her bf and grabbing one of their guns and start shooting others! Common sense. It is for the safety of all.

Edit add: it is the same reason why the original officer kept his firearm drawn and kept telling her to stay still.
edit on 7 9 2016 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

According to a question presented to the local county sheriff who oversees the Concealed Carry Permit process, Mr. Castile had never requested a concealed carry permit from their office:

Because he apparently got his CCW in the county he previous resided in, which explains why he never requested one from the county SO he lived in when he was killed: he already had a state CCW permit.

Someone on another thread claimed that by MN law he would be required to go to the local SO and change the address of his CCW. If he had not done so within the required number of days, his CCW would no longer be valid. I am looking to see if this information is correct and will update when I find out.

www.firearmsandliberty.com...

Within 30 days after changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card, the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff’s office of the change, loss, or destruction.

If card is lost or destroyed, permit holder must provide a notarized statement that the card has been lost or destroyed.

Failure to provide notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor.

So according to this, he had 30 days to report an address change. Does anyone know anything about this?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Statute 624.714

Subd. 7a.Change of address; loss or destruction of permit.

(a) Within 30 days after changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card, the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction.

It says to contact the issuing SO, not the SO for the county into which you move.

Which we don't know if he did. Irrelevant, either way, because the permit is still valid.
edit on 9-7-2016 by Liquesence because: statute link

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

no confirms yet.

Nope, not yet. There would likely have to be a FOIA request for the document, since state law prohibits the release of CCW names.

if the Leo pulled him over because the vehicle and driver possibly matched an ARMED robber. . .would protocol be differently in approaching a suspect and vehicle?

I would think so. I said as much in another thread.

a lot doesn't 'add up'

True, there are things that don't make sense.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I would think the permit would cease to be valid if it's criminal to not report it in a certain amount of time.

I don't think it even really matters if he had a permit or not. What matters is what he did when the cop came up.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I don't agree with how they did it. They secured her in another vehicle even if the cuffs were initially for their safety locking her in the vehicle with them on is insult to injury.

They already knew she was unarmed and there was time to find out what happened. How many cops are needed to babysit a corpse?
edit on 9-7-2016 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I am reposting this becasie it seems to have been missed on the first page.

The officer's lawyer concedes that there was a permit but the permit itself is not as relevant as the failure to comply.

Castile) had a permit to carry a gun,” Kelly said. “The officer did not know that at the time of the shooting, and he did not know with any certainty whether the gun was present with a permit or not a permit. Regardless of whether it was permitted or not, the actions of Mr. Castile and his failure to comply with directions from Officer Yanez was what led to this.”

edit on 9-7-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Failure to comply is what is claimed. We do not know what actually happened.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Thank you, for clearing that up.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Wonder why Castile didn't have the ID out before the police got out of the squad car and walked over to the car ?

Plenty of time.

The guy had been previously pulled over 30+ times.

He knew the drill.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I would think the permit would cease to be valid if it's criminal to not report it in a certain amount of time.

That doesn't appear to be the case. They just want to fine you $25 for not telling them you've moved.

Subd. 7a.Change of address; loss or destruction of permit.

(a) Within 30 days after changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card, the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction. Failure to provide notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.

(b) After notice is given under paragraph (a), a permit holder may obtain a replacement permit card by paying $10 to the sheriff.

May obtain a new permit. Not required by law, according to this.

I don't think it even really matters if he had a permit or not.

Why not? It matters if he was lawfully carrying or unlawfully carrying, considering what happened.

What matters is what he did when the cop came up.

That also matters a great deal, but it's not the only thing that matters.
edit on 9-7-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Thanks for that, I wasn't seeing the part about the firearm not being subjected to forfeiture on the page I was looking (which seems like an oversight).

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

Someone on another thread claimed that by MN law he would be required to go to the local SO and change the address of his CCW. If he had not done so within the required number of days, his CCW would no longer be valid. I am looking to see if this information is correct and will update when I find out.

I can't find that the statute says that is accurate.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Why not? It matters if he was lawfully carrying or unlawfully carrying, considering what happened.

Not if he wasn't a threat, and if he was it wouldn't matter either. Carrying a gun illegally doesn't justify lethal force by itself.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

That goes without saying.

But any decent lawyer making statements in such a hostile and biased media climate is likely to have solid evidence backing up whatever statements they do make,

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Carrying a gun illegally doesn't justify lethal force by itself.

No, it doesn't.

But unlawful concealed carry would justify a heightened reaction by LE (but a less than lethal reaction unless there was truly a threat) versus someone who was lawfully carrying, unless that person *was* suspected of a crime.
edit on 9-7-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
a reply to: Grimpachi

That goes without saying.

But any decent lawyer making statements in such a hostile and biased media climate is likely to have solid evidence backing up whatever statements they do make,

What makes you think his liar..er..I mean lawyer is decent? When you say decent do you mean morally decent or decent in a way that he is good at his job?

Personally, I don't equate lawyers with morally good. In the court of public opinion they have been known to say things that are not factual.

I am thinking this case will be a he said she said which means she is screwed. Unless there is some actual evidence which for some reason they haven't said anything about

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join