It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attorney for officer who killed Philando Castile says he reacted to gun, not race

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

It has been confirmed that he had a ccw.

I don't know if the cop was notified beforehand as claimed, but if he was then the shooting is FUBAR. Did the cop have a body cam? If he didn't it will be her word against his if he was notified and we should already know how that will go.

One of the things I found disturbing about the video was that they cuffed her afterwords.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I conceal carry and my protocol if ever pulled over is as follows:

1. Wait for LEO to communicate why I was pulled over and asks for my info.
2. After They do so WHILE MY HANDS ARE BOTH ON THE WHEEL I inform the officer I have a CCl and a firearm on my left driver side compartment.
3. Await further commands
4. COMPLY WITH ALL COMMANDS!

It's that freaking simple! Most cops will appreciate you being upfront and there probably will be a few that go over the top but regardless if you just COMPLY WITH ALL COMMANDS 99.9% of the time you will not be shot.

The problem with some is either they don't listen or get an attitude that escalates the issue.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Wonder why Castile didn't have the ID out before the police got out of the squad car and walked over to the car ?

Plenty of time.

Why would a passenger in a car have their ID out for a traffic stop?

Personally, I wouldn't nor have I in the past.

Well the ongoing claim is he had a gun and a ccw.

Why wouldn't he get out his ID ahead of time.

He had time.

That is not what you are supposed to do. You should pull over, turn off the vehicle, put your hands on the wheel and wait for the officer to direct you.

Moving around and looking for your ID and such can make the officer suspicious and it puts him on the defensive.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Wonder why Castile didn't have the ID out before the police got out of the squad car and walked over to the car ?

Plenty of time.

I was always taught to keep my hands on the steering wheel while the officer approached the car so s/he could see them.

But i would never reach for anything concealed from any officer's view without fully communicating my intentions and getting their ok to proceed.

link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Wouldn't the responding officers have verified that by cross checking the valid permit in his wallet? All manuals state you must have this permit and ID on you when carrying?

link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

There was no body cam but there was footage captured by the patrol car camera.

Hopefully it picked up some audio as well.

edit on 9-7-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bspiracy
I watched the video and the gf said " you told him to get his id sir" . .
The panicky cop did NOT refute her claim.

Murder? Not intentionally.. Involuntary murder i would say.

I know alot of cops and they all say that they wish they were cops 20 yrs ago..
I ask why and they always respond with abhorent case details that just didnt exist 25 years ago.
The devolved circumstance of our supposed modern society is the fault. Cops are now petrified to even check on a cat stuck in a tree.

Fkn sad world we live in now.
B

I read somewhere that although the cops did not have body cams, there was a dash cam in the police car. A friend of mine used to work as a dispatcher. She said most dash cams are linked to the officers mic. If that audio surfaces, we could get better answers to who actually said what and when they said it. Oh and I also read that the officer is not Chinese, but is Hispanic? I know the GF of the deceased said the officer was Chinese but she is mistaken.

link   

originally posted by: sirlancelot
I conceal carry and my protocol if ever pulled over is as follows:

1. Wait for LEO to communicate why I was pulled over and asks for my info.
2. After They do so WHILE MY HANDS ARE BOTH ON THE WHEEL I inform the officer I have a CCl and a firearm on my left driver side compartment.
3. Await further commands
4. COMPLY WITH ALL COMMANDS!

It's that freaking simple! Most cops will appreciate you being upfront and there probably will be a few that go over the top but regardless if you just COMPLY WITH ALL COMMANDS 99.9% of the time you will not be shot.

The problem with some is either they don't listen or get an attitude that escalates the issue.

Yes, always let the officer control the situation and comply with everything they tell you. If they violate your rights during the interaction, lawyer-up afterwards.

It is important that an officer controls the situation and if they feel they are not in control, they will do what they have to do to regain it.

link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

The only thing I think he could have tried and done differently is try to narrate and explain while moving very slowly.

Do we even have any idea what occurred prior to the shooting? It seems like everyone is taking his fiancee's word because she posted a video.

link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: butcherguy

According to a question presented to the local county sheriff who oversees the Concealed Carry Permit process, Mr. Castile had never requested a concealed carry permit from their office:

Because he apparently got his CCW in the county he previous resided in, which explains why he never requested one from the county SO he lived in when he was killed: he already had a state CCW permit.

I had not seen confirmation of that yet.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
a reply to: Bspiracy

She said that in the video as he was screaming, f***, why didn't he listen! I told him to keep his hands up!

It seems he may have asked for ID and when advised by the driver that he had a gun. The situation changed! He was advised to keep his hands up. No officer is going to allow you to reach towards a gun, cc or not. They will call for back up and you will exit the car hands raised until they confirm. Which is why you keep your permit with your ID when carrying.

Situattion changed?
Sure.. I give you that since we missed the actual shooting, but the FOUR #s fired in close proximity illustrates how paranoid and panicky cops are now.
On top of that, if i were to shoot someone right in front of me, i would shoot to disable instead of KILLING a person. Shoot him anywhere but in a place that kills. How is that not a prerequisite in training unless loss of life is categorized as a negligible offense?

Again. This is a case of a person with wieldable deadly force not being able to handle pressure. Panicky and plain stupid imo.

I personally would not have killed this man in the same situation i guarantee.

B

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

a reply to: Bspiracy

She said that in the video as he was screaming, f***, why didn't he listen! I told him to keep his hands up!

It seems he may have asked for ID and when advised by the driver that he had a gun. The situation changed! He was advised to keep his hands up. No officer is going to allow you to reach towards a gun, cc or not. They will call for back up and you will exit the car hands raised until they confirm. Which is why you keep your permit with your ID when carrying.

That's true. I keep my gun in the middle console when driving mainly because of comfort, but for when I got pulled over it made it less complicated. He had me get out of my truck while he secured my weapon. He still patted me down beforehand and had me stand in the front of my hood while he got it after that things went very casually.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

According to a question presented to the local county sheriff who oversees the Concealed Carry Permit process, Mr. Castile had never requested a concealed carry permit from their office:

Because he apparently got his CCW in the county he previous resided in, which explains why he never requested one from the county SO he lived in when he was killed: he already had a state CCW permit.

I haven't seen confirmation that he had a permit except through the Minnesota Star Tribune, who reported a source told them it was in fact the case and that he received it int he county in which he previously resided.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

a reply to: Liquesence

Wouldn't the responding officers have verified that by cross checking the valid permit in his wallet? All manuals state you must have this permit and ID on you when carrying?

He didn't get the opportunity. He was killed when he was reaching for...something.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

It has been confirmed that he had a ccw.

If it's the news station with the unnamed source (that they don't claim is LE) I don't know if I'd be buying that.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Why is that disturbing? Officers were arriving on the scene where another officer just shot someone. They needed to contain the situation safely to determine what was actually happening. It is standard protocol for all to keep safe.

I have never been handcuffed, but I have had all the men in my family's house laid out on their stomachs, hands cuffed behind their backs. They were looking for my brother and unfortunately, my male cousins resembled the description. Once everyone's IDs checked out, they were released and thanked for being so understanding.

My brother was just wanted for back child support! I would imagine if the officers walked into another officer shooting scene. Even the females would have been handcuffed.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Someone on another thread claimed that by MN law he would be required to go to the local SO and change the address of his CCW. If he had not done so within the required number of days, his CCW would no longer be valid. I am looking to see if this information is correct and will update when I find out.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I haven't seen confirmation that he had a permit except through the Minnesota Star Tribune, who reported a source told them it was in fact the case and that he received it int he county in which he previously resided.

Who was their source? Someone official from the county? Or just another family member?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Plenty of time.

So the idea of a woman and her child in the same car affected his judgement on having his ID ready and waiting on a silver platter eludes you?

People are quick to judge people reactions after the fact but you have no idea what was transpiring in the xsr during the stop up to the shooting.

Stop acting like Obama with reactionary statements without information processing.

B

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

It was Shamrock. I'll bet $100 it's correct.

Do the address and/or my new driver’s license number on my permit to carry need to match the address and/or drivers license number on my driver’s license?
No. A permit holder, however, is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor. The permit holder may, however, obtain an updated permit at a cost of $ 10.00. There is a statutory requirement to change the address on your driver’s license within 30 days after changing your residence (171.11).

Link
edit on 0920160720161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join