It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doc flight date set

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I know one of you guys has to be near Wichita, so if you are get your camera ready. The second airworthy B-29 has a flight date set, weather permitting.

Doc is scheduled to take to the sky from the non-shared runway on McConnell AFB early in the morning of Sunday, July 17th, weather permitting. They planned the flight for early morning due to high temperatures forecast later in the day.

www.warbirdsnews.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for the heads-up! I don't live close by, but couldn't resist looking up the story of how this came to be:

www.b-29doc.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
I know one of you guys has to be near Wichita, so if you are get your camera ready. The second airworthy B-29 has a flight date set, weather permitting.

Doc is scheduled to take to the sky from the non-shared runway on McConnell AFB early in the morning of Sunday, July 17th, weather permitting. They planned the flight for early morning due to high temperatures forecast later in the day.

www.warbirdsnews.com...

Would love to see that. The B29 is awesome.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: CantStandIt

It's been a very long road to get this far. I'm excited to see another one in the air. I'd try to get through there to see it, but I'm going to be starting my summer trip that day and will be getting in to Vegas.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Couldn't resist

Excellent thread as usual

SnF

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Cockpit view.
Closest thing to flapping your own wings (at that time).

edit on V182016Saturdaypm31America/ChicagoSat, 09 Jul 2016 15:18:20 -05001 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Dang that's a sight for sore eyes, man.....thanks for the thread and those pics....even a cool video......

Do you guys see that shine what is it a mirror dang

were they slow in wartime missions.....for airspeed.....or just slow around town to get hours and save gas.....maybe 270 tops? downhill
edit on 9-7-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Thats a nice bird, they just don't make em like they used to and wasn't the cockpit the basic design for the MF in starwars?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Thanks, Zap, that site and a link from there led to an absorbing half hour of reading emails about B-17 flights and crews.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

Very pretty

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Enjoy Vegas!!

On my bucket list... Pima Air and Space Museum, and of course a tour of the Boneyard!

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Been there, may start volunteering there next year.

Vegas is only the kick off. We're there until Tuesday, then off to other places for good times.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It's been a very long road to get this far. I'm excited to see another one in the air. I'd try to get through there to see it, but I'm going to be starting my summer trip that day and will be getting in to Vegas.

I'll be in Vegas, too! Getting married on Saturday. I had the pleasure to fly on FiFi with my dad a couple years ago. It was really awesome. We were behind the bomb bay and that is the closest I ever got to being airsick. Next time, I'm booking early enough to get in the cockpit. Did drag my fat ass into the tail gunner position and got to watch the P-51 chasing us. I think the passenger in the Mustang probably felt worse than I did.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Stngray

I went around Oahu in a B-25. Other than scaring the hell out of me on the ground, it was a seriously cool flight.

Congrats on the wedding!

We'll get there Sunday and leave Tuesday probably.
edit on 7/11/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Congratulations, on your marriage, and on your FiFi flight

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Thanks, guys. Zaphod, why did it scare the hell out of you on the ground?
Another kind of cool story from my FiFi flight. We all gather together by the rear hatch and get briefed. The docent in the back is talking to us, and this little old lady comes up and starts talking to me about her husband who was in our group. He was a B-26 tail gunner over Europe. She asked me to make sure he got in the plane. I was the youngest guy there and at the time weighed about 330 at 6 foot 2. I made sure he was in front of me and shoved him through the hatch. Then I tried to get through the hatch,and barely fit. Was embarrassing, but kind of funny, too. Down to 250 now, probably in large part due to that. But the guy had fun, so it all turned out well.
edit on 11-7-2016 by Stngray because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Did you HEAR those things banging and battering at ground idle?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Got it.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

He is getting ready to break ground.

Mild problem with the Bomb bay doors, expect to start back up again shortly.
edit on 17-7-2016 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

And he's airborne!

Talk about timing. I just woke up and logged in, and there was your link, as he was heading to the end of the runway.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join