It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA Members Annoyed By Silence On Philando Castile

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: andy1972

Can't they just look that up? If they're commenting at all then it would seem they are free to comment. I thought it was very easy to look up a pistol license.

link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: projectvxn

You did no such thing.

Sure did.

You'll learn to accept it soon.

Denial is the first step.

link   
a reply to: Deetermined

The NRA should say a great gun safety tip. When stopped by the police, don't reach for your gun.
Or
In evolutionary terms
Darwin says, one that reaches for his gun when stopped by police, will not be around to have their genes passed on.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy1972

originally posted by: introvert
From what I understand, the girlfriend did not start recording until after the man was shot.

Also, the man did apparently have a permit to carry, but a stillshot of the video his girlfriend took may show a firearm was sitting in his lap.

The PD in MN have confirmed that he did not have any CCW licence issued by them.

Ok. Thanks for that confirmation. The source I read stated differently.

Does the County Sheriff confirm that as well?
edit on 9-7-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

BUT, Ronald Reagan sure did love gun control both this and several other acts as Governor and president and thereafter endorsed and codified several gun control initiatives.

But Reagan did give us the FOPA to address Johnsons' gun control Act of 68.

Interesting that came at the end of the CIVIL RIGHTS era.

So it begs what was that law really all about.

The report also said that 75 percent of ATF prosecutions "were aimed at ordinary citizens who had neither criminal intent nor knowledge, but were enticed by agents into unknowing technical violations." It suggested that reform of federal firearms law such as proposed in S. 1030 "would be largely self-enforcing" and "would enhance vital protection of constitutional and civil liberties of those Americans who choose to exercise their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms."[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA) addressed the abuses noted in the 1982 Senate Judiciary Subcommittee report. Among the reforms intended to loosen restrictions on gun sales were the reopening of interstate sales of long guns on a limited basis, legalization of ammunition shipments through the U.S. Postal Service (a partial repeal of the Gun Control Act), removal of the requirement for record keeping on sales of non-armor-piercing ammunition, and federal protection of transportation of firearms through states where possession of those firearms would otherwise be illegal.[2

The only part where Reagan failed was with the post 86 ban.

I think that was more of a trade off in the end.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Greven

The reference to the Black Panther Party probably refers to the Mulford Act enacted in 1967 under Ronald Reagan during his period as Governor of California. This act effectively restricted citizens from carrying guns in public and created one of the countries most strict gun control regulations. This was a direct reaction to the Black Panther Movement’s rise in California and in the 1960s, the NRA would not yet have been a hard-line advocate for gun ownership rights. In the 1980s Reagan changed his opinion on the subject. He would begin to actively encourage 2nd amendment rights to keep citizens safe from the despotism that could be enacted by government, just what African Americans had been hoping to achieve in the 1960’s when he had instead endorsed the Mulford Act. The post 1977 NRA endorsed their first presidential candidate, Ronald Reagan, after both had switched to a more strict 2nd amendment rights defense.

So, to a certain extent the statement is true; The NRA was supportive of gun control in the 1960s during the Black Panther Movement. But by the late 1970s the organization’s goals had changed and both groups would advocate minimum restrictions on gun ownership

Nothing. I was addressing a separate question.

Jim Crow gun control was not the NRA. Which is what I was referring to.

The Mulford act was NOT explicitly endorsed by the NRA.

BUT, Ronald Reagan sure did love gun control both this and several other acts as Governor and president and thereafter endorsed and codified several gun control initiatives.

You should note that I am no Reagan fan.

You might want to edit your reply again, because the post you responded to was referring exactly to the Mulford Act.

Which Republican Don Mulford got help from the NRA drafting.

I'm not going to defend the implication that they are the same organization then as now, but it is factual history.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

From what I understand, the girlfriend did not start recording until after the man was shot.

Also, the man did apparently have a permit to carry, but a stillshot of the video his girlfriend took may show a firearm was sitting in his lap.

The PD in MN have confirmed that he did not have any CCW licence issued by them.

Ok. Thanks for that confirmation. The source I read stated differently.

It should be noted that this particular sheriff's dept. didn't issue the permit, but another county could have. Since CCW records are not typically public there's no way to know until the investigation concludes or the media gets a hold of the info. Revealing that info without court order is considered a crime.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I think a lot of these sources are saying he had one because his fiancee said he did.

He very well may have.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

The blurry screen capture of the live video shows a gun now?

Looks more like a black wallet with a bill partly sticking out (the lighter color triangle shaped thing) at a slight angle, to me.

That is what has been claimed. I'm not stating anything as fact. That is why I said "may" show a firearm.

I feel 'may' in this case is being too generous. Someone is bound to run with 'may' and make it more concrete.

We see that in the media constantly, anyway..

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Can't they just look that up? If they're commenting at all then it would seem they are free to comment. I thought it was very easy to look up a pistol license.

Depends on who issued the licence. It varies from state to state, I'm sure, but I believe most permits are handled by the County Sheriff's Department.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

That is true.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

go get bent? what does that term even mean never heard of it. i

i think its safe to say that statistically the majority of the NRA which is male and caucasian in their 40s-60s probably dont see eye to eye with people who are different then them. thats just an educated guess based on statistics.

i think i already posted on another thread. the hatred these people feel is passed down from generation to generation. do a poll yourself on some members you know. ask them their views on other ethnicities. im sure the results wont be that shocking.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

Which Republican Don Mulford got help from the NRA drafting.

Wasn't aware of these letters, so thank you for setting my record straight.

I'm not going to defend the implication that they are the same organization then as now

I believe it was the late 70s when the NRA became more strict on its defense of the 2nd Amendment.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Do you have a source for that?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: Kali74

You did no such thing.

Sure did.

You'll learn to accept it soon.

Denial is the first step.

Explain it again, with me being so dumb and all it's only fair.

link   
a reply to: dreamlotus1111

i think its safe to say that statistically the majority of the NRA which is male and caucasian in their 40s-60s probably dont see eye to eye with people who are different then them. thats just an educated guess based on statistics.

Present your numbers. Source them.

i think i already posted on another thread. the hatred these people feel is passed down from generation to generation. do a poll yourself on some members you know. ask them their views on other ethnicities. im sure the results wont be that shocking.

Don't care what you posted in another thread.

Either quantify your claims or go away.

link   

Since CCW records are not typically public

OK that makes sense. I was just at the local Sheriff's office last week and they looked mine up off my ID in about 10 seconds. I really wish they would give us something better than that flimsy piece of paper, they don't even hold up when laminated.

link   

I saw the Sheriff's Dept. make a similar statement too.

link   

originally posted by: Domo1

It is. But who has one is not public information in Minnesota, as I understand it. Stating that he did not have one issued by their agency isn't violating any privacy statutes or laws.

What's interesting is that the media is saying they confirmed he had one issued "when he lived in" such and such town. What's interesting about that is a) whether he still lived there and b) if not, did he notify the issuing agency and request an address update. It appears that failing to notify the issuing agency within 30 days of a change of address is a misdemeanor in that state.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

The blurry screen capture of the live video shows a gun now?

Looks more like a black wallet with a bill partly sticking out (the lighter color triangle shaped thing) at a slight angle, to me.

That is what has been claimed. I'm not stating anything as fact. That is why I said "may" show a firearm.

I feel 'may' in this case is being too generous. Someone is bound to run with 'may' and make it more concrete.

We see that in the media constantly, anyway..

The girlfriend says he had a gun so that kinda makes me think that is a gun.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join