It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black ex-cop on the real truth about race and policing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

There were more than 15 percent who toed the line. But sadly, they were the quiet ones. As indicated in the quoted study more tended to lean towards action and confrontation but what I probably found more enlightening were the officers who took immediate offence to cheeky comments and actions and became aggressive.

And there-in lies the problem. Sociopaths are drawn to a Policing career. Perhaps not enough extensive psychological testing is done prior to Graduation. It's also a fine line between exerting authority "forcefully" and restraint. The method of reasoning with a chat and a cigarette belongs in a bygone era. What do you expect of a generation that have been bred and nurtured to view reality and response through a short attention span, and trained to be "killers" through X-Box games.

what limited budgets policing gets is I suspect largely spent on recruiting/training of new recruits due to the high churn rate and disillusionment. Its still surprises me that an injured Policeman/woman doesn't get Workmens Compensation coverage but have to rely on ex-gratia payments form State Govts when they are injured.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This may sound stupid to some but if youd like to gain some insight, watch Cops. Seriously. There are hundreds of episodes. You will see all types of interactions. Good and bad. All kinds of rights infractions as well. Yes they will even put rights infractions on tv. Mainly I am talking unreasonable search and seizure. It doesnt count when said unreasonable search actually turns something up apparently.

You will also see that often times the cops in America have very good reason for acting as jumpy and hostile as they do right off the bat.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Comparing body counts is disingenuous, but I agree, the US is kill crazy. Look at any murder-death-kill statistics from countries the US occupies militarily.

They trying to distract you with "gun violence" among our population.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

The squeaky wheel gets all the grease is true in this case. Anyone judging what America and American's are like from the MSM and the Internet is likely wrong in their judgement.

The truth? Most Police are great people, serving a thankless public, putting their lives on the line every time the put on a uniform or a badge. Other than the inner city hell holes, America is a almost entirely a peaceful safe place to live.

Of course those who yell the loudest, love to exaggerate and in many cases flat out lie. It's a shame the world judges us from what they get from the news and Internet.

Reditt Hudson

But more and more, I felt like I couldn’t do the work I set out to do. I was participating in a profoundly corrupt criminal justice system. I could not, in good conscience, participate in a system that was so intentionally unfair and racist. So after five years on the job, I quit.

I'm skeptical of this person as they chose to quit rather than stay and try and change things. Quitters never impress me and if he were for real about wanting to make change, he would never have quite and joined in with radical groups like the ACLU.

Labeling most or all Police as racists, is exactly the same as labeling all Muslims as terrorists. It's the product of warped views born in hate. The accuser is who is actually practicing hate.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

To be serious, this is an US wide problem. Maybe there are towns and little cities where the police is working with the people, not against them. But this seems to be only the exception which confirms the rule.

do you realize how many people are arrested a year in the U.S..

i'm looking for better numbers for same year, so far i can only 2014 arrests and 2015 Death by cop.
now if you look at by population, yes the numbers do seem high for blacks, but if you go by arrests, or by deaths by cop the numbers are way different. see that's what they do they use population to make it seem disproportionate, you got to remember there are way more white people than black people or other races, so if you use population you get a higher number of deaths for the lower number of population. but if you use Arrests, or just deaths by cops the numbers change.
plus if you look at the number of arrests the numbers

below i'm going to count the White and Black deaths seeing how so many think it is some outrageous disproportion.
this is from the FBI arrests

Police made an estimated 11,205,833 arrests during 2014—498,666 for violent crimes, and 1,553,980 for property crimes. More than 73 percent of those arrested during 2014 were male.
Crime in the Uniterd States 2014

now this from the Guardian's The Counted. look at many white faces you see compared to the others. you will also see that if you click the filters they include accidental deaths by cops. which wouldn't be crime related except where the officer was at fault. like in car accidents.

The Counted

from the wiki, but if you use the data from the guardian

These lists are incomplete. Although Congress instructed the Attorney General in 1994 to compile and publish annual statistics on police use of excessive force, this was never carried out, and the FBI does not collect these data either.[1] The annual average number of justifiable homicides alone was previously estimated to be near 400.[2] Updated estimates from the Bureau of Justice Statistics released in 2015 estimate the number to be around 930 per year, or 1240 if assuming that nonreporting local agencies kill people at the same rate as reporting agencies.[3] The Washington Post has tracked shootings (only) since 2015, reporting 990 shootings in that year,[4] and more than 250 by the end of March 2016.

[5] Deaths by age group in 2015, according to The Counted The Guardian newspaper runs its own database,The Counted, which tracked US killings by police and other law enforcement agencies in 2015, and counted 1140 killed, with rates per million of 2.92 for "white" people, 7.2 for "black", and 3.5 for "hispanic/latino", 1.34 for "Asian/Pacific Islander", and 3.4 for "Native American". The database can be viewed by state, gender (1086 male, 53 female, 1 nonconforming) , race/ethnicity, age, classification (e.g., "gunshot"), and whether the person killed was armed (853 armed, 224 unarmed).[6] The database has continued to add new cases into 2016.

just for comparisons sake, if we take the total number of arrests in 2014 ( the most complete year the FBI has released) and look at the total number of deaths from the guardian,

Total arrests 11,205,833
Total Deaths by Police 1146
Percent of Deaths 0.010226816694484024

now lets do this
Total White Deaths by Police 581
Percent White Deaths by Police 50.698080279232116

Total Black Deaths by Police 306
Percent Black Deaths by Police 26.701570680628272

see the difference, when you look at the numbers of Arrests / number of Deaths, which is the true count, because when you count it by population or any thing else your not looking at the true numbers.

or we could do it this way, again i'm going to have to use 2015 Graudian chart, 2015 Population by race( est as of July 1 2015 ) from U.S. Census Bureau
QuickFacts UNITED STATES
Total White Population 247 813 910 which if my math is correct is 77.1% according Census Bureau ( est as of July 1 2015 )
Total White Deaths 581
Percent Of White Deaths 0.00018076103944380108

Total Black Population 42,748,703 which if my math is correct is 13.3% according Census Bureau ( est as of July 1 2015 )
Total Black Deaths 306
Percent of Black Deaths 0.000715811191%

but if we use the same number for population for white deaths as the black population.
White Population 42,748,703
Deaths by Police 581
Percent Deaths by Police 0.00135910556%

so it seems to me a much clearer picture Deaths Per Arrests than any other way.

what is really needed is a way to track total number of deaths to calls that would really shed a better light.

but if we use just arrests it is plain to see that cops don't kill nearly as many people as is made out to be. it's just how you word the way it is said.
edit on 9-7-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join