It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschooled children have higher graduation rates, more social prowess

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

So they are missing out on some of the worst food known to man all whilst having to put up with a sub standard level of education in a system that allows absurd amounts of bullying all whilst robbing the child of any real social life outside of school due to pointless amounts of homework?, not to mention the anxiety brought on by the constant testing.

I had two hours a week wasted on religious education, I may as well have been at home playing with my balls for what good that subject did for me??.. Not to mention the old special of the uninspired teacher saying "ok class turn to page 20 and copy into your text books" almost every lesson.

The current system does not work and if someone wants better for their little sunshine then I say good on them. Maybe their way of doing is the better option.

RA

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

Well i had to endure High School and i despised it worse time of my f'cking life.

I spent more time at the arcade and smoking pot with head bangers than i did in school.

Everybody has different experiences.. some good (the ones who love normal school) and some bad (the ones who prefer HS). But one shouldn't protect to such an extent the situations the kids are exposed to, since either way.. they are going to get exposed to them eventually and the only way of learning true judgment is by experience.

Unless they choose the more low key lifestyle, where risk is minimized.

edit on 9-7-2016 by efabian because: Quotation fix

edit on 9-7-2016 by efabian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: efabian

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

I was homeschooled three years of highschool. It's a joke. It was the most depressing time of my life.

I wouldn't put any kid through something like that.

I feel for you.
Many parents force their kids to go to "HS" to protect them from the real world and only expose them to the situations the parents are comfortable with. Then when the real world comes by... problems start to arise due to gullible understanding of social situations.

I was in a private school and forced myself to overcome and learn from all the disastrous social situations that I went through... I'm 100% sure I wouldn't be socially adept if I were "HS".

One has to see every perspective before reaching conclusions and "HS" just shows the side the parents want to see.

You speak as though you think homeschool is synonymous with helicopter parenting & reclusive living. It isn't. Maybe I just met all the right people in my life, but I've never met the awkward, annoying, socially inept kids people have whined about in the thread thus far.
Here's a kicker -- I know a teacher who is homeschooling versus putting the kids in brick & mortars. They have ample time to participate in a plethora of coop activities in their area, they're not cooped up indoors or sheltered from others. Neither are mine, nor any of the other kids in my neighborhood who are home any given day of the school week due to their own schedules (parochial, private, charter, magnet, public & HS students live in my neighborhood, we're a widely varying bunch here) My kids & their friends have their social time, it's just not during standard school hours.
edit on 7/9/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

a reply to: TheLotLizard

aww and im sorry you were bullied by little invisible people who actually don't exist other than your own simplistic mind.

Maybe if you'd gone to school you'd have ended up smarter? oh wait that made me laugh... nm

Thankyou i needed a good chuckle,

I went to school and was a very popular jock and with a 3.8GPA . If you think I was bullied you aren't very good at assumptions now are you.

I was homeschooled because the school was involved with some shady activities and tried to accuse myself and some specific others in illegal things.

Now you were saying?

Oh is see, you were a Jock, no wonder you're so angry! Why didn't you just say so?

I said 'invisible people' bullies. Unless you believe they were real, i don't think invisible people exist do you?

An entire school tried to accuse you and others of illegal things? Please, lets explore this, what illegal things would a school accuse an innocent jock/s of? When was this what year?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: efabian

True, but it's up to the parent as to how they wish to school their own child, wouldn't you agree?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Now that is a very good way to even out most of the social interactions and experiences I mentioned.

As to the whining, awkward and social ineptitude.. I haven't mentioned whining for one, the awkward statement is directed at difficulty carrying out social interactions in an open environment with other peers (not parents nor other HS kids) that aren't so understanding or gentle to them or their way of thinking. The social ineptitude remark is a summation of the latter point and the problem that comes with inexperience in certain areas. (such as persuasion)

Please note that I'm not against HS. I believe there are some instances where one environment is better for one that to the other. It's just important to draw the line between the good and the bad, not just disregard the bad as non-important and ignore it. This applies to both cases.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Of course, but in more than less of cases, the personal tendencies of the parents are the deciding factor for said decision.
I for one would try to be objective about it and take the decision based on what the kid wants to accomplish and/or what type of career path they desire. Since some social dependent careers such as high level business require a certain gift with social interactions.

edit on 9-7-2016 by efabian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: efabian

so what you're really saying is, you'd prefer strangers to instill your child with their own ideals so as to insure obedient worker bees by the time they leave their brainwashed establishments?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I think you might need to apologize to the worker bees

. . . by comparison . . .

to what the oligarchy really wants to turn out.

I think worker bees would have more freedom and independence than the drones the oligarchy is trying to create of our children.

link   

originally posted by: andy1972
It's a fantastic idea..if you're rich and don't have to work 8 - 10 hours a day and can spend all that time teaching your kids...

Not true I work 40 hours a week, I let my wife stay home and school the kids using the Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) curriculum . They work at their own pace, the system allows them to learn how to study. BTW, my wife doesn't do any teaching only helps if they have a question and grades their tests. so she also cleans house, plants veggies in the garden, and other stuff around the house.

Don't get me wrong we take advantage of some food bank help once a month, and we have an ebay store, and I am paying $600 a month in house payments.

I just don't buy the whole years books at once. I buy three months at a time it is about $65-79 every few months.

So you don't have to be rich and make a lot of money to home school your kids. ACE is one of the Affordable ones.
edit on 9-7-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

link   

I believe more in an individual understanding of world issues. You know, for them to structure their own line of though as to what is what.

The fact is that interacting with people of other ideals is what grows your understanding of every position to reach a logical conclusion. Not just interacting with echo-chambers has people call them. Additionally, tough experiences is what molds your character and makes you evolve. A person with no tough experiences is very prone to be gullible of the dangers in adulthood and how bad some people can be.

Through life I molded my thought process adjusting and tweaking any deficient area through tough life lessons, so as to never be through that again. There is no way to teach kids certain things until they go through them.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Maybe I just have a good public school. They're great.

I personally want my kid living in HIS world, the one HE's gonna have to establish HIMSELF in.

I am not raising a kid, I am raising a future adult.

Soon as my kid comes home we sit down at the table, go over his day, discuss stuff, then get to the homework, reading, math, etc.

"Do what you gotta do, before you can do what you wanna do"

I was kind of a "free range" kid. I had few rules, and almost no discipline. Horrible thing to do to a kid.

I had a hell of a time fitting into the real world of rules and social expectations.

Unless you're planning on being a passenger to Mars, the idea of being able to independently roam free and do whatever you want is not part of this generation.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: efabian

I believe more in an individual understanding of world issues. You know, for them to structure their own line of though as to what is what.

The fact is that interacting with people of other ideals is what grows your understanding of every position to reach a logical conclusion. Not just interacting with echo-chambers has people call them. Additionally, tough experiences is what molds your character and makes you evolve. A person with no tough experiences is very prone to be gullible of the dangers in adulthood and how bad some people can be.

Through life I molded my thought process adjusting and tweaking any deficient area through tough life lessons, so as to never be through that again. There is no way to teach kids certain things until they go through them.

Ok i know what you're getting at, but... What you're saying is that Kids who home school aren't somehow getting structure or having their character molded, or interacting. This is a pile of Bull Sh't. And i've heard it many times by people who don't know how to think outside their tiny little boxes.

It's not the same as it was 25 yrs ago. Where are you getting this information from anyways?

And why is it people think that only kids who go to school are smart and able to communicate with the world? There are many who don't 'school' their kids in fact some people even unschool their kids.

Take the guy from Lord of the Rings, Frodo.. Elijah Woods... He home schooled, he's not having trouble interacting with the world at all.

People need to lay off and let people breathe instead of policing everyone who doesnt conform to their agenda.

You are closed minded in every way and i can bet you were probably Schooled the conventional way.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

I know.. really. I remember reading why they created these 'institutions' in the first place, i'm going to find that info and post it here.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Ok i know what you're getting at, but... What you're saying is that Kids who home school aren't somehow getting structure or having their character molded, or interacting. This is a pile of Bull Sh't. And i've heard it many times by people who don't know how to think outside their tiny little boxes.

But, it does depend on who's teaching and how they teach.

The majority of homeschooling is for religious reasons.

Sure, some parents or parent groups set up a regular type school setting. Some will set up a school in a garage and actually hire a licensed teacher to teach the class.

The problem is, there are no standards.

I thought home schooled kids had to follow a standardized education plan and take state tests - - - until I looked further.

Apparently not (depending on state).

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

No Annee, you're suggesting mostly religious people home school, that's not true.
And even if it were, it would only mean one thing. Religious people care more about
their kids education than non religious ones.

I think you're very very wrong though, and i'd like a statistic if you're willing to push your
view in that direction.

the Rothschilds were part of this, and if you can even call it Education anymore i'm afraid i'd find that most laughable.

I'm not attacking your word, i'm saying that there is a reason why it began in the first place.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

No Annee, you're suggesting mostly religious people home school, that's not true.

NO, I did a lot of research on this last time the subject came up.

The #1 reason for homeschooling is religious belief.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

And even if it were, it would only mean one thing. Religious people care more about

I think you're very very wrong though, and i'd like a statistic if you're willing to push your
view in that direction.

the Rothschilds were part of this, and if you can even call it Education anymore i'm afraid i'd find that most laughable.

I'm not attacking your word, i'm saying that there is a reason why it began in the first place.

Please provide links.

Its important to know what source you are using for this information.

Not saying you're wrong, of course. Just need to know who's saying what.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Why is it you always mention 'almost always' and i feel it coming, that youre 70 and you know everything in the entire world about everything!~

You aren't most people and no you dont have a clue about who does this, maybe in america but not the rest of the planet, and even then, not all of america.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

view in that direction.

Please provide links.

Its important to know what source you are using for this information.

Not saying you're wrong, of course. Just need to know who's saying what.

Why? I asked YOU first to provide information, now you're asking me to?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join