It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More police officers die on the job in states with more guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

The results were shocking: line-of-duty homicide rates among police officers were more than three times higher in states with high gun ownership compared with the low gun ownership states. Between 1996 and 2010, in other words, there were 0.31 officer fatalities for every 10,000 employed officers in low gun ownership states. But there were 0.95 fatalities per 10,000 officers in the high gun ownership states.

Well duh..someone actually wasted money on this study. Just like most shootings happen where there are more guns.

Oh well money well wasted I guess.

And no, not saying guns are bad or that gun owners are, just that cowards gravitate towards where more guns area accessible.

Said what I had to say, so probably won't be replying, maybe, not sure...but might..

edit on 8-7-2016 by shredderofsouls because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: shredderofsouls

Sorry to burst your bubble....
I knew the anti gun crowd would be out in force after Dallas, but let's stick to the truth, shall we?

Traffic Accidents Leading Cause Of Police Deaths

www.npr.org...

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Sorry to burst your bubble....
I knew the anti gun crowd would be out in force after Dallas, but let's stick to the truth, shall we?

Traffic Accidents Leading Cause Of Police Deaths

www.npr.org...

Kewl I am a force.

Came across this on FB, just thought it was a wasted study and it is about where guns kill more cops and not about WHAT kills more cops.
edit on 8-7-2016 by shredderofsouls because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Concerning the findings of that study....

chicago.suntimes.com...

The National Rifle Association blasted the study’s findings on Thursday, saying it was based on flawed numbers. Illinois had 28 murders of officers from 1996 to 2010. The homicide rate of officers in the state was 4.6 per 100,000 officers, the 16th lowest rate in the country. About 21 percent of Illinois households were estimated to have at least one firearm present over the study period, the eighth lowest rate in the country. Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Mississippi and Montana led the country both in gun ownership rates and the rate of law enforcement murders per capita, the study found. Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island had the lowest rates. Swedler and his colleagues estimated that a 10 percent higher statewide firearm ownership rate would have resulted in 10 percent more law enforcement officer homicides in each state over the 15-year study period. “Higher private gun ownership increases the frequency with which officers encounter life threatening situations,” he said. Because there’s no national gun registry, the researchers had to estimate state gun ownership rates. They turned to a national household survey of health risks. One of the questions was: “Is there a gun present in the home, yes or no?” Because those data were only available for 2000, 2001 and 2004, the researchers also compared the number of firearm suicides with all types of suicides to come up with a second estimate of state firearm ownership rates.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Maybe if the FBI and Gov do their jobs and executing all kinds of gangs with 100% proof instead of classifying the information from the public. There wouldn't be so much a problem with all the police death. Gang warfare has never ended. It will never end until recruitment is finished. You have the most jailed people in world and wonder why more police are dying. Jailing mass murders and gang leaders without even doing anything. I call this idiocy. If the US Militia knows who is bad or good with 100% proof they would gladly do it for you. Jail is suppose to be for people who are possibly framed or did some stealing(you have to know two side of the story). Not for murderers.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
And yet their are over 350 million firearms in this country.

Be nice if they actually used the CORRECT term.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I'm not buying it. I live in an area where guns are everywhere. Literally. There hasn't been a cop shot at here, let alone wounded or killed in decades. Violent crime with a gun in this area is near non-existent. Yet...almost everyone here owns multiple guns.

Try again Washington Post.
edit on 7/8/2016 by Klassified because: area

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

California has the strictest gun laws and the most guns but not the state with the highest LEO death rate.

Per Google search -States With Highest Death Rates

StateAvg. Annual Rate per 50K officers 5-Year
South Dakota11.54
Montana10.85
Alabama 8.519
Mississippi 8.212

Police Officer Fatality Rates by State - Governing magazine

source

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: shredderofsouls

Said what I had to say, so probably won't be replying, maybe, not sure...but might..

Have to say this. This is not your twitter/facebook or echo chamber. If you want to spout your statements and propaganda you should do so there. This is a DISCUSSION forum.

You don't like guns, woohoo good for you. What are you going to do about it besides post drivel, launch a few insults and then go hide? This crap needs to stop.

edit on 8-7-2016 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Well duh..someone actually wasted money on this study.

That is the only thing in your OP worth reading.... The WApost has unfortunately turned into not much better then the Inquirer.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Allow me to share this little ditty here.
For those who can't watch: It's a great Sunday Morning piece by Ted Koppel on the subject of gun ownership in Wyoming, which holds the highest percentage of gun ownership in America. It includes an interview with a local sheriff,
and tells a slightly different story than the Post would have you believe.
Living in Wyoming, I rather enjoyed it. Nothing coming out of Washington has any relevance to life in Wyoming.

edit on 8-7-2016 by sageturkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Have to say this. This is not your twitter/facebook or echo chamber. If you want to spout your statements and propaganda you should do so there. This is a DISCUSSION forum.

You don't like guns, woohoo good for you. What are you going to do about it besides post drivel, launch a few insults and then go hide? This crap needs to stop.

How about you just suck it up buttercup.
I do what I want and if you do not like, well that is too dang bad for you.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Here you forgot your hashtags:

################################

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: sageturkey

Just drove through Wyoming for the first time last week. Beautiful state. Friendly folks. Drove from Cody down to Cheyenne. Wind River Canyon was amazing. Thermopolis was a lot of fun.

However, most of the state was as empty as the OP.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

The results were shocking: line-of-duty homicide rates among police officers were more than three times higher in states with high gun ownership compared with the low gun ownership states. Between 1996 and 2010, in other words, there were 0.31 officer fatalities for every 10,000 employed officers in low gun ownership states. But there were 0.95 fatalities per 10,000 officers in the high gun ownership states.

Well duh..someone actually wasted money on this study. Just like most shootings happen where there are more guns.

Oh well money well wasted I guess.

And no, not saying guns are bad or that gun owners are, just that cowards gravitate towards where more guns area accessible.

LOL....more police car accidents happen in cities where more people drive cars....

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

That's awesome! I just had to drive from Riverton to Sheridan and back, so I had the pleasure of driving the canyon twice last week.
A belated welcome to you!
The emptiness is part of the allure for those of us that call it home.
I spent many years battling I-25 rush hour traffic, empty is good.
I do realize that the statement was about about the OP though, nice tie-in.

edit on 9-7-2016 by sageturkey because: punctuation

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: sageturkey

Hey, I wasn't really posting it to connect with the op. I was mainly talking about Wyoming. My wife lived there many years ago. She has wanted me to go there for a decade. I really did love it.

Just had to throw it out there so people that like that kind of thing would know.

The op is ridiculous, but shouldn't stop us from chatting.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh
Slow response time on this one for sure!
Love it myself, I do. Hope to die here, just not anytime soon preferably...
This week, I'll be working in Shoshoni. You probably remember passing through there near Boysen Reservoir.
1 place to eat, 1 place to get gas. Same place lol...

edit on 29-8-2016 by sageturkey because: Add

new topics

top topics

join