It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Police: Man Called 911 to Ambush Officer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This is disturbing...especially in light of very recent events.
This officer was literally summoned to an ambush...was shot several times by the man who phoned 911.
Fortunately, the officer had on a protective vest.
A shootout ensued...and both men were wounded.

an who called 911 to report a car break-in Friday ambushed a south Georgia police officer dispatched to the scene, sparking a shootout in which both the officer and suspect were wounded, authorities said. Both are expected to survive.

The shooting in Valdosta, just north of the Georgia-Florida state line, happened hours after five police officers were killed Thursday night during an ambush in Dallas.

Despite saying the officer was lured to the scene by the gunman, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said there was no immediate evidence the shootings were related.

"We're putting pieces together to understand what happened and why, developing witnesses," said Scott Dutton, spokesman for the GBI, which is handling the case at the request of local police. "There's nothing to indicate there's a connection to that."

Officer Randall Hancock was shot multiple times as he responded to a 911 call about a car break-in outside the Three Oaks Apartments just after 8 a.m. Friday, Valdosta Police Chief Brian Childress said at a news conference.

"The officer called out on the radio screaming for assistance," Childress said, and officers from multiple law enforcement agencies swarmed the apartment complex.

The GBI later identified the suspected gunman as 22-year-old Stephen Paul Beck and said it was Beck who also placed the 911 call. Both Childress and Dutton identified the suspect as an Asian male. Charges against Beck were still pending Friday as he was being treated at a Florida hospital, Dutton said.

The officer is white, according to Valdosta city spokeswoman Sementha Mathews.

Dutton said one gunshot hit the officer in the abdomen, just below his protective vest. Other shots hit Hancock's vest. The officer fired back and wounded the suspect.

Hancock underwent surgery at a local hospital and was stable Friday as he rested with his family by his side, Childress said. The suspect was also considered stable, he said.

"I'm relieved that my officer is fine," Childress said. "I am also equally relieved that the offender is going to make it."

The police chief said Hancock was wearing a body camera, and its video footage had been turned over to the GBI.

Childress declined to comment on any possible motive when asked about his officer being shot so soon after the Dallas attacks. The Dallas officers were shot during a protest over the recent killings of black men by police in Minnesota and Louisiana.

"You start to wonder," the police chief said. "But any motive of why this happened this morning, it would be speculation."

Associated Press

www.chicagotribune.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
And people wonder why police are getting more militarized.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Have seen numerous threads today about this and related instances and am afraid that, if stupid whites start shooting at stupid blacks, this sheat could really explode.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

Have seen numerous threads today about this and related instances and am afraid that, if stupid whites start shooting at stupid blacks, this sheat could really explode.

This story has nothing to do with African-Americans.
The shooter is described as Asian; the Officer is White.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
After all today, I assumed. My bad!

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

Manifest Destiny.

Will anyone be surprised now that police will naturally be more wary of young black men, antagonizing the whole situation further?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
" I don't need your civil war " -GnR

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

Well, that could be because the MIC needs to diversify its revenue streams, government needs to get the most out of its spending, and above all, if you are going to run police forces which contain even one flawed, terrified, shrivel membered sack of filth, of the sort who would shoot an unarmed, cuffed suspect in the back, you had better be prepared for bear when someone comes looking for your head.

Let's not pretend that this issue is not two sided. Militarisation or not, there would be an awful lot less animosity around if ALL officers simply COULDNT shoot a man in the back, or shoot a cuffed suspect while they lay on the floor. The fact that some of them will, is just as much of a problem as the fact that some nut cases will shoot police. There's a tango in the offing, and no one is dancing solo.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
As much as I hate to give more crazy people ideas, I guess we have to talk about this. It's also happened in a few other places. Add Mississippi and West Virginia and you have an X.

There is also a protest March in my town, Atlanta, tonight about the shootings and man they found hanging in Piedmont Park. I hope to hell nothing happens. State police are out with APD.

Marchers moving from CNN Center, continues through downtown

Live Here at the Moment

You can bet that all over the country, there are no police responding solo...to anything.
edit on 7/8/2016 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

The government will step in and federalize all the police forces in the US, for safety.

Then the "police-state" can REALLY start!

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The government will step in and federalize all the police forces in the US, for safety.

Then the "police-state" can REALLY start!

Bet they issue really cool uniforms and insignia.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Good point. If I were a cop right now, I would be especially weary of young black men, as well as anyone with a brain and common sense would be...

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That truly is the endgame of all this. Not 'dey r coming to take yer gunz!'

In that regard, worst caae certain guns may not be as readily purchased in the future. None already had will ever be taken. And i highly doubt even that much will ever happen. Nationalized police force though? No doubt.

top topics

join